D&D 5E "OK, I try Skill A. Now Skill B. Well, in that case, how about Skill C?"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
NOTE: I am not locking required stuff behind a check. My players are trying to get supplemental lore, figure out ways to get advantages in future events, etc. Locking stuff behind a binary win/lose roll is bad. I am not endorsing it or describing it here. Thank you for your concern.

As a DM, I hate this chain of players asking to do skill check after skill check.

Part of this is on me, as a DM. (Does that DC really need to be a 25 for a Tier 1 character?)

So I understand this is players trying to get past a check. (And yes, yes, don't lock too much of the game behind DC checks. This is for supplemental or bonus content rolls.) But it slows down play terribly.

Instead of, potentially, the wizard rolling every single intelligence skill when faced with a problem, would it make more sense to just give them advantage on their roll if they have relevant skills above a certain level?

What would be the mathematical impact of implementing this?

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Skill checks are not supposed to be things the players ask to make (even though they do and I think most of us default to it for ease of use). The player is supposed to tell you what they are doing and you are supposed to tell them what to roll (if anything) -- with a side of "how about I make an Investigation check instead?" (which ALWAYS happens).

In that context, I think then that if "skill A" doesn't work, it is up to the player to describe a different approach that will hopefully allow them to make a different check to potentially get past the obstacle or otherwise solve the problem. Don't forget to roll for wandering monsters while they are fussing about!

In general, I don't let players skill dogpile and I don't let them make multiple attempts within the same skill class. If they want a second shot, something has to significantly change.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah this is one of those problems that stops existing when you ask that players describe what they want to do and call for ability checks yourself based on the actions they describe.
How does describing actions solve "OK, did I read about this in history? How about in religion? Is it from something I would have learned in mage school?"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In general, I don't let players skill dogpile
To prevent players queuing up to each try to do something serially, I've asked the players to just assist one main person.

Unfortunately, Baldur's Gate 3 apparently does it the exact opposite way (where the computer can roll automatically, and not slow down play), so I expect this problem will be showing up at a lot more tables in future.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
How does describing actions solve "OK, did I read about this in history? How about in religion? Is it from something I would have learned in mage school?"
Oh boy… I can give you an answer if you want, but fair warning: every time I talk about this we end up with a giant, super-heated thread. If you’re ok with that, I’ll tell you, otherwise maybe it’s best for me to just stay away from this one.

I would state that the most applicable skill to the situation is X, or you can choose a single skill from X or Y whichever is better for you.

EtA: Oh, unless there's a reason, everyone who is participating Aids Another as long as they are proficient with the skill.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If they have the time to try several different skills, why have them roll in the first place? If you want them to roll, have it be a "how long to X" rather than a "succeed or fail at X" check.
You as the referee pick one and have them roll it. Then that's it. That's the one skill that works. If that fails, that's it.

MGibster

Legend
I don't know if I've ever seen that happen. Or if I have, I literally cannot remember the last time I saw it happen. Once a palyer failed their roll, I'd just say that was it. They can't move from Religion to History to Arcana for the same bit of knowledge.

Remove ads