• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Web vs Entangle

trentonjoe

Explorer
What's the difference between these spells? I know the ranges are a little different, web is a cube and burns and one is a STR check and the other is DEX but is there really a difference? I am looking to reskin a spell and can't really decide which one to do.... Am I missing something?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
What's the difference between these spells? I know the ranges are a little different, web is a cube and burns and one is a STR check and the other is DEX but is there really a difference? I am looking to reskin a spell and can't really decide which one to do.... Am I missing something?

Concentration is a big difference, also the duration. Web can trap creatures that enter it later, entangle only restrains creatures in the area when cast.

Last edited:

Conceptually, to me, web casts a web over the area where entangle causes the roots/vines/ground to spring up or animate. Other than that? The differences are pretty much what you said; range, save, concentration...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Entangle is 20' square on the ground. STR save or be restrained, STR check to get out. Somatic components so it takes a free hand. Max length 1 minute.

Web is a 20' cube, so it also gets fliers, those on walls, etc. However, if it isn't anchored it collapses in next turn to be 20'x20'x5' (high). It lightly obscures the area in it. You do not make a save when it is cast, you make a save at the start of every round you are in it and when you enter it. So the first round is basically the same unless someone else moves you out (or in), but after that you can get re-caught and others entering can get caught. With it being difficult terrain it is not guaranteed that you will be able to get out in one round even if you make your save if there are walls and such around. It's a DEX save to be caught, not STR. Though it's still a STR check to get out. And lastly the webs are flammable. It's both somatic and material components, which is actually easier if you have a spell focus.

Both are difficult terrain and require concentration.

So one is ground only, and only when you cast it. The other is cubic, continues to work, and you can concentrate for up to an hour so you can set it in place early for an ambush or to keep weak foes held so you can interrogate them.

MarkVIIIMarc

First Post
Which do you all prefer?

Size - Web is 3d, Entangle is essentially flat.

Level, Entange is level 1. Web is 2nd level.

Duration - Web has an advantage on duration 1 hour vs 1 minute

Damage - Web can do 2D4 damage if you set it on fire.

Save - Draw. Web is Strength, Entangle is Dex. Probably campaign dependent, seems like we see more high Dex bad guys in our campaign. Its good to have a variety though.

What else am I forgetting.

40below

Explorer
Which do you all prefer?

Size - Web is 3d, Entangle is essentially flat.

Level, Entange is level 1. Web is 2nd level.

Duration - Web has an advantage on duration 1 hour vs 1 minute

Damage - Web can do 2D4 damage if you set it on fire.

Save - Draw. Web is Strength, Entangle is Dex. Probably campaign dependent, seems like we see more high Dex bad guys in our campaign. Its good to have a variety though.

What else am I forgetting.

Effect - Web can restrain characters who move into the area after it has been cast. Entangle can only restrain characters caught in the area of effect on the turn the spell is cast, not those who move in later. (Those who move in later must cope with difficult terrain in both cases.) Web has advantage here.

Area of effect - Obviously different, but the architecture of web has some restrictions about anchor points.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads