Webbed Sphere, Inc. acquires long time game publisher Flying Buffalo, Inc.

In June it was revealed that Flying Buffalo -- the oldest RPG company currently in existence - was being sold to an undisclosed buyer. That buyer has now been announced as a holding company called Webbed Sphere, Inc., which describes itself as "a management and holding company for numerous ventures including online retailer Troll and Toad, home decor brands Darware, Decorae and AuldHome; game...

In June it was revealed that Flying Buffalo -- the oldest RPG company currently in existence - was being sold to an undisclosed buyer. That buyer has now been announced as a holding company called Webbed Sphere, Inc., which describes itself as "a management and holding company for numerous ventures including online retailer Troll and Toad, home decor brands Darware, Decorae and AuldHome; game and toy publisher Toy Vault, and jigsaw puzzle manufacturer Mchezo. Its array of companies also specialize in property acquisition and development, business and consumer fulfillment services, liquidation outlets, and hobbyist gardening supplies."

tunnels_and_trolls2_6431.png

Webbed Sphere Inc. announced today that it finalized acquisition of pioneering, award-winning game publisher Flying Buffalo, Inc., best known for the Tunnels and Trolls role playing game and bestselling Nuclear War card game series.

The deal was finalized July 31 with the estate of Flying Buffalo founder Richard Loomis. Loomis created the play-by-mail game Nuclear Destruction in 1970, and founded Flying Buffalo with Steve MacGregor in 1972. The company initially focused on running play-by-mail games, and later became well known for publishing the second-ever role playing game Tunnels and Trolls, originally designed by Ken St. Andre, starting in 1975. The Scottsdale, Arizona company is currently the oldest active publisher of pen-and-paper role playing games in existence.

“Flying Buffalo and Rick Loomis hold an esteemed position in the history of gaming, and we are proud to now be a part of that legacy,” said John Ward, CEO of Webbed Sphere. “Flying Buffalo has thrilled generations of gamers over the past 50 years, and it will make a great compliment to our Toy Vault and Mchezo brand lines. I am excited about what the future holds.”

Since its founding, Flying Buffalo published many popular board games and roleplaying game titles including: Tunnels and Trolls, Nuclear War, Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes; Death Dice, Ace of Aces, Lost Worlds, Monsters! Monsters!, Imperialism, Origin’s award winning Citybooks and a series of role playing supplements that included the famous Grimtooth’s Traps. The company was also groundbreaking in its release of the first solo role playing game modules using it’s Tunnels and Trolls system, starting with “Buffalo Castle,” written by Rick Loomis and published in 1976.

“It's always hard when your child finally grows up and leaves home, but I'm looking forward to a bigger, brighter future for Tunnels & Trolls under the organization of Webbed Sphere,” said Ken St. Andre, creator of Tunnels and Trolls. “May T&T spread even further to the greater world than it already has, and may Webbed Sphere make all their saving throws going forward!”

Douglas Malewicki, the inventor of the Nuclear War™ card game in 1965, said he’s excited about the opportunities the purchase of Flying Buffalo represents.

“I’m excited and really look forward to working with the new Flying Buffalo team,” Malewicki said. “I definitely want to help ensure that Nuclear War continues to improve, evolve and thrill new generations of gamers. The fun begins!”

Specific announcements about Flying Buffalo properties will be forthcoming in the near future. The company plans to work diligently with retailers and distributors to make sure products are in stock and available to the public.

Flying Buffalo also plans to be an exhibitor at Gen Con, to be held in Indianapolis Sept. 16-19, and will release more exciting news as the show approaches.

About Webbed Sphere
Webbed Sphere Inc. is a management and holding company for numerous ventures including online retailer Troll and Toad, home decor brands Darware, Decorae and AuldHome; game and toy publisher Toy Vault, and jigsaw puzzle manufacturer Mchezo. Its array of companies also specialize in property acquisition and development, business and consumer fulfillment services, liquidation outlets, and hobbyist gardening supplies.

About Flying Buffalo, Inc.
Flying Buffalo, Inc. is a publishing company best known for the second ever role playing game distributed to the mass market - Tunnels and Trolls. It was founded in 1972 by Rick Loomis and Steve MacGregor as a play-by-mail game company, but also published numerous popular role playing games, card games, and gaming supplements. It is located in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Iamoutofhere

Explorer
Well, good luck to them I say! Fingers crossed they do a good job with Tunnels & Trolls...I have fond memories of the game. I thought Deluxe was great but a bit big and chunky (physically) and had a few weird design decisions that I wasn’t really into compared to the 5th version of T&T. A nice concise edition in a small format book that can easily be carried about and used (and not too expensive) would be my vote.

I think Ken, Steve and the others will remain in business doing Flying Buffalo work. This is mainly good news because it sounds like FB will have firmer ground to stand on going forward.

MGibster

Legend
Yeah. I guess the fans JUST HATE the workers getting paid more. Must cheese them off to no end! They'll go play heroclicks, or something, after hearing about those pay bonuses...
While nobody's upset about the bonus situation, it did bring to light how underpaid GW employees are which has been a topic of discussion since the announcement of the bonuses. GW has also changed their policies regarding their intellectual property by no longer allowing fan animation of any kind online in order to avoid competition with their own Warhammer+ subscription service. This had led to the cancellation of the wildly popular If The Emperor had a Text to Speech Device series as the creators did not want to risk a suit from GW. A lot of fans are unhappy with that decision. GW also has a habit of releasing material in limited quantities that end up getting picked up by scalpers making it difficult for fans to purchase them for reasonable prices. The recent release of Cursed City went fairly well but it suddenly disappeared from their storefront with no explanation. Is it dead? Who knows?

Despite these recent problems, I think GW has done a pretty good job interacting with fans over the last few years. They're more likely to give us a heads up on what to expect coming down the pipeline, they've diversified the representation of people among their products (though some fans aren't happy with that), and they're producing some great and interesting models especially for Age of Sigmar. I would agree with your assessment that their CEO is doing fairly well overall.

Flying Buffalo has always been run on a shoe string budget, Tunnels and Trolls has always been a C list game. It would be interesting to see what might happen if they had an infusion of cash and some marketing prowess provided to them.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Like others have said, troll and road is a good company that’s I’ve bought plenty from, looks like a gamers company bought another game company and have plans to keep it going…which I think is a win win for the fans of flying Buffalo. Not everything has to be on the negative view side of what “might” happen.

Retreater

Legend
Webbed Sphere, Toy Vault and Troll and Toad are all out of Kentucky, so hopefully this is a good thing for folks like me here in KY!
With so much work going to remote, I don't know how much will be going to Kentucky in design work (maybe warehouse jobs?) But if they need a designer in Western KY, maybe I can help? Haha

Von Ether

Legend
There's a lot of negativity in this thread over the acquisition . . . but it seems from the press release that the new company is determined to have Flying Buffalo continue to publish games at an accelerated rate than before.

Holding companies aren't inherently bad . . . and this one seems to be owned by folks following their passions, interests, and hobbies . . . and making each company within the fold successful in it's own right. Time will tell, but I'm not overly pessimistic about this news.

As I've started seeing under the hood of the gaming industry over the last few years, most people are unaware of how many game companies have folded because the owners discovered their efforts get a lot more ROI doing other things like real estate or a print shop. Other industries evidently reward your system mastery of the rules in much more financial ways.

Add to this how many times we have repeated seen how a "for gamers by gamers" business can be badly mismanaged from the beginning, and I feel more optimistic that Webbed has variety in their portfolio.

OTOH, There are (and has been in the past) several game companies and cons that were just rich geek hobby/vanity projects. All it takes is hard times and these projects will close down (as some have in the past) to save a core business.

Right now, only time will tell but I have my fingers crossed.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads