• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weird Low Level Wizard Play?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
The other day we had more like 7-10 encounters. We are just good at pacing ourselves. I did use firebolt on occasion at level 1-4 but making an attack roll for 5.5 damage on average vs using the help action or healer feat did not add up to be worth doing.

My Monk is getting in close to 20-40 damage a round with Ki points, 15 normally, I have seen the barbarian get over 70. FIrebolt+flaming sphere is not to bad in terms of damage (2d10+2d6+another 2d6 if adjacent at end of turn). I just find cantrips to be mostly junk unless you have nothing else that is better to do. Excluding things like Warlocks+eldritch blast, fire sorcerers and level 8 light clerics.

Low level wizards more or less suck in 5E anyway seems to be our groups conclusion, maybe even worse than AD&D due to hit point inflation of 5E monsters. Low level clerics are not to bad and something like the light cleric makes even a blasting wizard weep.

If some PCs are doing up to 40 dmg, and other 70, and others are doing an average of 10 - that demonstrates to me there is a very big intra party balance problem. Whether that is intentional in 5e - that there be "striker" like classes - I'm not sure .... but in my expereince, what this leads to is complaints about the weaker classes - such as "class x are a waste of time, compared to class Y".

Which is what we're seeing here.

Zardnaar

Legend
If some PCs are doing up to 40 dmg, and other 70, and others are doing an average of 10 - that demonstrates to me there is a very big intra party balance problem. Whether that is intentional in 5e - that there be "striker" like classes - I'm not sure .... but in my expereince, what this leads to is complaints about the weaker classes - such as "class x are a waste of time, compared to class Y".

Which is what we're seeing here.

Its the barbarian built in advantage mechanic married to the GWM feat.

Zardnaar

Legend
Alas - probably best to find another system then for you all to enjoy (imo). Or roll up a paladin ;D

THe feat thing is not a deal breaker and I wanted to try a small campaign without them. It would not have to be permanent. THe players themselves are starting to get sick of GWM at least. I think I will errata it to once/round only.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads