• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weird Low Level Wizard Play?

jgsugden

Legend
No, it is not weird low level wizard play. It is one of many fun options for how to play a wizard. So far, in various campaigns and one shots, I've played 6 wizards. Each was very different.

Regardless of what style you play, I suggest:

1.) Invest in rituals. They're really the wizards semi-hidden bread and butter. Unlimited castings of rituals can be very potent, even if you can't cast them quickly in combat.
2.) Ration spells. If you're going to have 6 to 8 encounters per long rest, don't blow all your spell slots in the first and second combats.
3.) Look for non-damage ways to be effective - especially inventive ones: Blasting damage is not the wizard's bread and butter. Other classes do more damage per round (at least when you're not using spells slots). However, you have the potential to do a lot with non-spell slots and non-damage spells. Healer feat, minor image, hypnotic gaze, etc... can all be very useful tools that do not deal damage, but can change a battle. Fire bolt and other cantrips are not going to look that sexy next to a barbarian slashing away thrice for d12+16... but a minor image that tricks an enemy into losing their attack or gives an ally advantage on an attack can be a game changer.

Note that a Firebolt cast from a 5th level character (cantrips scale based on character level, not class level) does 2d10 damage so your average damage would be 11 (not 5.5). Also note that your Barbarian should be attacking Recklessly anyway, thus giving him Advantage, so using an action to help him seems like a waste and puts you at risk.
Zardnaar specifically mentioned that he didn't use Firebolt much, but only between levels 1-4. And for at least the first level, the barbarian didn't have the option to attack recklessly (and beyond that, the barbarian doesn't have enough rages per day to really survive casual recklessness).

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
This is a spin off from another thread. I have a level 5 diviner in a game and for level 1-4 I often did not bother using firebolt. I took the healer feat and spent most of my time near the front line playing combat medic and/or using my action to provide help (advantage) to the barbarian. I had mage armor running after level 2 for AC 15 and used shield vs hard hitter or took my chances at getting hurt. The Healer feat was also useful in the event I did take damage and in effect it was a hit point sink to spread out the damage I suppose.

The portend ability is usually used to negate critical hits from the NPCs. Sleep, Blindness and flaming sphere are my offensive spells for the most part with absorb elements and shield being used a lot.

I would name this character Doctor Sawbones and not take a single damaging spell if possible. Anything that could easily be described in medical or biological terms would be my go-to spells. He'd wear a plague doctor's mask and a darkly stained lab coat.

Zardnaar

Legend
Zardnaar specifically mentioned that he didn't use Firebolt much, but only between levels 1-4. And for at least the first level, the barbarian didn't have the option to attack recklessly (and beyond that, the barbarian doesn't have enough rages per day to really survive casual recklessness).

I have started using firebolt or other cantrips a little bit more now I am level 5. I do not think I have used the help action only the healer feat at level 5. The Barbarian has also been getting advantages in other ways such as Monk knocking stuff prone or my blindness spells.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I think this thread demonstrates the problem of damage and hit point inflation in 5e. He was using FB during level 1-4, probably because the damage was competitive with other PCs. At 5th, second attack comes in, and suddenly FB looks rather paltry. When doing 2d10 damage at 5th level is bad damage... there's a problem. I'm guessing a 3 encounters per day paladin and barbarian problem (assuming no GWM/SS issue, as I think Zard's group identified that issue more than 12 months ago).

Zardnaar

Legend
I think this thread demonstrates the problem of damage and hit point inflation in 5e. He was using FB during level 1-4, probably because the damage was competitive with other PCs. At 5th, second attack comes in, and suddenly FB looks rather paltry. When doing 2d10 damage at 5th level is bad damage... there's a problem. I'm guessing a 3 encounters per day paladin and barbarian problem (assuming no GWM/SS issue, as I think Zard's group identified that issue more than 12 months ago).

The other day we had more like 7-10 encounters. We are just good at pacing ourselves. I did use firebolt on occasion at level 1-4 but making an attack roll for 5.5 damage on average vs using the help action or healer feat did not add up to be worth doing.

My Monk is getting in close to 20-40 damage a round with Ki points, 15 normally, I have seen the barbarian get over 70. FIrebolt+flaming sphere is not to bad in terms of damage (2d10+2d6+another 2d6 if adjacent at end of turn). I just find cantrips to be mostly junk unless you have nothing else that is better to do. Excluding things like Warlocks+eldritch blast, fire sorcerers and level 8 light clerics.

Low level wizards more or less suck in 5E anyway seems to be our groups conclusion, maybe even worse than AD&D due to hit point inflation of 5E monsters. Low level clerics are not to bad and something like the light cleric makes even a blasting wizard weep.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, yeah. Cantrips aren't meant to be some all powerful option. They are there as a fallback option so that the caster can still contribute to combat damage without having to fall back on a ranged weapon or melee.

Personally, I'm finding ray of frost to be more useful that firebolt. 1 less damage on average, but the slow effect has saved one PC from death and prevented a hit on another.

I use ray of frost as well and shocking grasp as a fall back melee plan. Hell in some cases I get into it with shocking grasp as well.

RulesJD

First Post
Y'all need some learning on how to be low level Wizards. Here's a few tips:

1. Find Familiar. Use it, abuse it. Congrats, you have basically free trap roomba, scout, and can generate advantage almost at-will, even from a distance.

2. Phantasmal Force. This spell should be spell level 3+. But it's not, so use it. It's an Int save so by far the most likely for a monster to fail, an Int check thereafter, and basically completely disables an enemy if you are even remotely creative.

3. Ready Action -> Spell. Especially true for something like Hold Person. Have it cast right before your big hitter's turn to grant them auto-crits.

4. Create Bonfire. Have your Barbarian make a grapple check rather than a hit, so long as the enemy will take more than 2 turns of damage you're going to get a ton of damage from a relatively small cantrip.

I'd actually overlooked shocking grasp due to the theme of my wizard, that is a great cantrip. Move in, shocking grasp, move out again. Perhaps it helps cover the escape of another PC. It may not be my go to plan for combat but as an option I think it is a good one. I far and away prefer the cantrips with less damage and an added effect to the straight damage spells.

The best part is, even if you miss it still covers the escape of another PC! Because the monster will have already spent its reaction eating your face, and not your buddy's. :)

Zardnaar

Legend
I'd actually overlooked shocking grasp due to the theme of my wizard, that is a great cantrip. Move in, shocking grasp, move out again. Perhaps it helps cover the escape of another PC. It may not be my go to plan for combat but as an option I think it is a good one. I far and away prefer the cantrips with less damage and an added effect to the straight damage spells.

I tend to use it when I am near the front lines and the opponent is wearing metal armor. I am near the front lines a lot;).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads