• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Well done Paizo

I was a bit surprised Paizo swept the thing, I knew they would do well but that was a bit unexpected. I was happy to see Shadowrun and Eclipse phase get some love, especially eclipse phase, great game.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe this will get some of the "I already have 3.5" folks ... to finally give PF a chance.

I don't see why it would. The simple matter is that if you don't feel a need for it, however good it is, you aren't likely to purchase it. I already have a decent non-stick skillet. Seeing another very similar skillet win an award isn't going to induce me to buy another skillet when the one I have still works well.

Now, if you don't have 3.5, or if you like the setting Pathfinder is in, or something else specific about Pathfinder, then it sure is worth the cost.

Wicht

Hero
I was a bit surprised Paizo swept the thing, I knew they would do well but that was a bit unexpected. I was happy to see Shadowrun and Eclipse phase get some love, especially eclipse phase, great game.

I had to laugh when I was reading through the Paizo Blog last night... Lisa was posting the awards as they came in... and then gets to best writing: "Eclipse Phase takes gold, speech thanks Pathfinder "for not being nominated.""

Wicht

Hero
I don't see why it would. The simple matter is that if you don't feel a need for it, however good it is, you aren't likely to purchase it. I already have a decent non-stick skillet. Seeing another very similar skillet win an award isn't going to induce me to buy another skillet when the one I have still works well.

As someone who enjoys cooking, I actually have several good skillets (though not non-stick ones - they tend to be too cheap and the metal too light) but if one won an award, I would consider trying it out as different skillets do perform in different ways and some do better for some foods than others. Of course for more casual cooks, like perhaps yourself, what you say is likely true.

With games, I have games of various genres, but as someone who enjoys games from a multitude of perspectives (writing, playing, designing, teaching, etc.) when a new game wins an award, I don't say, "meh, already have one that does something similar." No, I want to try it out. This is true of role-playing, board and card games. Of course, more casual gamers might well think one version of monopoly and one set of roleplaying rules to be sufficient.

Nevertheless, there is a segment of us who will try something, even if we don't necessarily "need" it, just because its what we are into.

LurkMonkey

First Post
Kudos to a great company that picked up the torch for me and kept me in the RPG hobby when I was literally going to walk away for good.

I can never thank you enough guys enough! Keep doing all the high-quality stuff you do!

I had to laugh when I was reading through the Paizo Blog last night... Lisa was posting the awards as they came in... and then gets to best writing: "Eclipse Phase takes gold, speech thanks Pathfinder "for not being nominated.""

Yeah that made me laugh. PHS is a good bunch of guys that put out a great game with stellar writing. I was glad to see em get not one but three Ennies, silver for product of the year was awesome and well earned.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As someone who enjoys cooking, I actually have several good skillets (though not non-stick ones - they tend to be too cheap and the metal too light) but if one won an award, I would consider trying it out as different skillets do perform in different ways and some do better for some foods than others. Of course for more casual cooks, like perhaps yourself, what you say is likely true.

It isn't really a matter of casual or not. It is a matter of cost. Even people serious about something need to bend to the will of the Great Wallet.

My wife and I love to cook (and have been doing a year-plus-long cooking project, even), but we simply aren't in a position to buy multiples of kitchen tools that we already have. Maybe you're in a position to toss $100 on a skillet you don't really need, or $50+ on books that you may not use more than once, but I don't expect that to be the norm.

Nevertheless, there is a segment of us who will try something, even if we don't necessarily "need" it, just because its what we are into.

And if you've got the free cash for that, more power to you. Go stimulate that economy!

I am not saying the Pathfinder books are overpriced, by the way. I'm just saying that in this economy, I don't expect word of an award to stir people who like 3.5 but haven't already bought Pathfinder overmuch. If I'm wrong, well, that'll be good for Paizo.

Wicht

Hero
It isn't really a matter of casual or not. It is a matter of cost. Even people serious about something need to bend to the will of the Great Wallet.

I understand that. I'm poor and can usually not buy half or a third of what I would like to (if that).

But even so, I will spend money on books just to read them (its my one vice) and though I might not run straight out and buy that award winning skillet, it certainly will be kept in mind as a possible Christmas gift.

Remove ads