We're All Gamers Together: Why Harassment Has To Stop

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.
Just as a warning, for those who might be bothered by certain sorts of content, some of the incidents that were relayed to me, the stories that were told, have jarring, uncomfortable occurrences in them. If mentions of rape and unsolicitated physical contact will bother you, you might want to skip the rest of this article. I know reading the emails and PMs from these women bothered me as they came in.

As much as what these women related bothered me, and obviously bothered them as the targets of the harassment, I felt that the fact that it was so uncomfortable was exactly the reason why this current piece needed to be written. We, as a group, need to start looking the people doing this harassment in the eye and telling them that we don’t think it is okay. We need to stop pushing these accounts into the shadows, under the rugs, and pretending that they do not exist. We need to make our communities into better places for everyone, and not just a bunch of men.

I put out a call over my various social media feeds (which was shared a lot), asking for women to share their experiences of harassment in tabletop gaming with me. Anonymity was offered to those who wanted it, and not surprisingly most respondents asked that their names be kept confidential. The reasons for them wanting to be kept anonymous were one of two. First, they were afraid of further harassment within their communities for calling out the bad behavior. They seen how women who tell men to stop get treated in small, closed communities and, for better or worse, they want to continue with their hobbies without additional harassment. The second reason was a bit scarier. Some of these women are professionals, working in tabletop gaming in a number of different capacities, who fear that publicly coming forward would negatively impact their careers within gaming.

I’ll just say that last one again, with emphasis: they were afraid that coming forward about their harassment, or the harassment that they had witnessed, would negatively impact their careers in tabletop gaming.

Because of these reasons, I will be keeping the identities of everyone who asked anonymous. Everyone who spoke with me identified themselves, I am just not identifying them.

One of the common threads through the experiences shared was rape. Most of these women had had characters raped during convention play, online games, or at events at stores. Sometimes the rapes were matter-of-factly introduced into play, others there was a titillating level of graphic detail to the assaults. One women talked about how a regular attendee at a local convention bragged of having a “rape kit” in his car for the women at the convention, and at one point he yelled at her to “find him women to sleep with.” She also talked about the organizers of the convention having a “men only camping retreat” and when she was on the board of the con the only way that she could attend was “nude and wearing a dog collar.” Another woman talked about the GM of her online game suddenly having her character knocked unconscious, taken away on a ship, and then graphically narrated raping her character. All of this occurred on voice chat while using a popular virtual tabletop site.

Another woman told me that her attempts at organizing a couple of women only games for a VTT online convention was met with such vehemence from male gamers that the games were pulled from the schedule of the convention.

People wonder why more and more people think that anti-harassment policies are needed at conventions. After all, even Gen Con has one:
Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management.

And an Ethics policy:

All of the following constitute grounds for expulsion from the convention without refund:
  • Violating any federal, state, or local laws, facility rules or convention policies
  • Failure to comply with the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel
  • Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
  • Endangering the safety of oneself or others
  • Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
  • Failure to conduct oneself in a mature manner

The creators of the 13th Age RPG have anti-harassment policies for their organized play because “Nobody shows up for a game with the goal of feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, and sorry that they came. But organized play brings together many different types of people with different expectations and approaches to play. An anti-harassment policy sets ground rules that everyone can recognize and follow, resulting in better games and more fun.” In the policy they outline harassment as “Everyone has the right to a space that is safe from any type of harassment: physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual.”

Honestly, considering the experiences that have been related to me, these sorts of policies should be commonplace for conventions and organized play. I have heard that Paizo is currently drafting an anti-harassment policy for their organized play, and Ad Astra Games has one in place already.

These are some of the more overt things that women have to deal with in their tabletop gaming experiences, and doesn’t go into the more “casual” or systemic harassment and sexism that women deal with at conventions, in online play and at game stores. One of the women talked about women being a subclass in society, and it being more so in gaming communities. “It sucks for a female gamer, going into a store and having that reaction.”

Men are openly commenting on women’s body parts in a sexual manner. Sexual content is added to games because “that’s the kind of stuff that women like.” Crude sexual references and jokes are made.

I’m not saying that there is no place for sexual, or adult themes, in gaming. Just the opposite, in fact. In my personal groups I game with grownups, and we play games that can have adult material in them. We have, however, agreed that content like that is okay in advance, and most of the time we agree that players’ agency over their characters should not be railroaded by the story of the game, or the actions of the GM. There is a huge difference between making awkward sexual comments out of the blue, because you are hoping it will interest a woman gamer, and making awkward sexual comments that people expect in their game. This goes doubly so for games in public spaces, like conventions or stores.

And just because it is okay with your wife, girlfriend or the woman in your gaming group at home, that doesn’t mean that it is okay with all women. If it makes someone at the table uncomfortable, or makes them feel like they are being harassed, just don’t do it, or apologize for having done it.

And, of course, none of them are safe from accusations of being a “fake geek girl,” or being in the store to get something for their husband or boyfriend. Apparently the idea that a woman would want to buy her own dice or miniatures or rule books is alien to some gamers.

As Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World, points out in an online essay, there have always been gender problems in tabletop gaming. But he also points out that women have been interested in tabletop gaming for a long time. But, just because something has “always been that way,” it does not mean that it has to stay that way. Even in the 1970s TSR Games employees were taken to task by fandom, and female designers, to be more respectful of women gamers and to stop using phrases like “ladygamers.” Sadly, these attitudes that were considered to be outdated back then are still being perpetuated now…in some cases by some of the same people.

My first AD&D group, back in 1979, had a woman for the GM, and about half of the group were women. Most of my groups since then have had women involved in them. We need to be better, as a community, about these things. We need to speak out when we see women being harassed, online or in person, and we need to tell the people who think that doing this is okay that it isn’t. We need to be active in making the change that creates better communities where we don’t have to worry about our friends being harassed because of their gender, or their sexual preferences, or their ethnicity. We have to convince conventions and organized play societies that having anti-harassment policies is a good thing, and enforcing them so that everyone feels welcomed and accepted is a better thing.

Guys, we have to remember that this isn’t about us. This isn’t about our perceptions of what is happening at conventions, during organized play events and in online games. We sit back, listen and ask what we need to do, rather than try to make the discussion about how it “isn’t all men.” We already know that. We need to not take the focus away from what needs to be done.

There are never going to be completely safe spaces, in gaming or outside of it. However, we can make better places where no one has to worry about their body parts being part of the table talk, or their characters being sexually violated. It is the 21st century, and we should be better about this than we are. We need to stop being quiet, stop facilitating harassment, and we need to start making better spaces for ourselves and our fellow gamers. A group, like nerds, that talk so much about being harassed in their youth for being different should really be more sensitive about harassing others. We can, as a group, be better about this, and we need to do it.

So what's up with creating an article where the bulk of your evidence comes from of a blog who's title went something along the lines of "white male terrorism in table top gaming". That's identity politics plain and simple. Perhaps the people involved in reporting this harassment had no idea that their stories would be featured in a blog post with such a title, and perhaps they'd be against it, but that title does nothing to solve the problem and only creates reasons for people to be defensive.

I'm not sure what article you're talking about, outside of a link to the post in the lede to show why this piece was written, I don't actually reference anything from that piece. All of the incidents discussed in my present article came from interviews with women over the course of the last week.

I get that people don't like being called a terrorist, I was not happy about that piece when it started circulating in my social media, but then after reading it closely a few times, and thinking about the experiences that friends of mine have had, and that I have experienced, being women in gaming, I realized that being inflammatory didn't make the article wrong. If people are getting upset over being compared to terrorists, then perhaps instead of lashing out they should take a look at the behavior that is getting themselves called terrible things.

Fildrigar

Explorer
How can we reduce the number of people who are harassed at cons?

I realize that the question is not directed at me, but being a convention organizer, I'll answer it for you.

1 ) Have a robust Anti-Harassment Policy. ( Not some weaksauce one that just quotes Wheaton's Law. You can find many good examples via the google machine. )

2 ) Ensure that everyone who attends your convention has the opportunity to read your policy and must acknowledge that they have seen it. ( Via click through if ticket bought online, via signing a document at registration if ticket bought day of show. )

3 ) Train all of your staff and volunteers in said policy.

4 ) Prominently feature your policy in various places. ( Repost it in social media, have it printed on signs at the convention. ) Anti-Harassment Policies serve several purposes. They set expectations of behavior and can reduce the number of incidents merely by existing. They also signal to people who have had bad experiences at other venues that they are welcome and can expect to be taken seriously if issues arise.

5 ) If an incident is reported, take swift action.

Jeanneliza

First Post
I have read through the responses here and one thing stands out to me. Those who are most angered by the article using the term white male terrorist seem to overlook the fact that Christopher stated after reading that article he asked women on his various social media sites if they knew of any such incidents. He reported MANY. Various levels of abuse. So no it is not about just this woman, or a few "drama queens" and "attention seekers." Further, it is not just about women. Sexual harassment is a form of bullying, all kinds of harassment fall in that broader category. Now I have only been playing rpg's for two years, only online using a VTT. You don't want to speak up for women how about the 25 year old white male that I saw bullied so badly by a gaming group he became so upset he smashed his computer? Now this I HAVE documented with the screen shots of the threads where the bullying occured. When I saw him post on the other forums he was leaving the hobby all together I reached out to him, because I have training in suicide prevention and I saw some things in his words that are flags in my training. Didn't matter to me that I am a 60 year old grandmother and he was a 25 year old kid, I saw pain and I reached out.
But I also have been bullied by some of the gamers I have played with, in and out of game. I have left groups because of bullying, I ended an 8 year friendship with the person that introduced me to RPG's and VTT's. Yes we can walk away. How about you tell the people who are in business producing RPG products that they have no right to market to anyone you don't personally approve of? Christopher mentioned women in the industry being harassed on their jobs, and complaints being ignored. For some this is a business, and what we are discussing here is bad for business, just as the anti-transgender laws and anti-gay laws are bad for business. And consider how much purchasing power these groups have, as a businessman I would do what was needed to bring them in as customers. You are telling a segement of the population their money is not as good as yours.
Now as for the hobby being something you have played since the dawn of time, still doesn't mean you OWN the hobby. You can exclude people from your personal circles, you cannot demand everyone else do the same. You can choose to ignore problems in the wider community, you do not have the right to demand others do the same. You can tell us get out of the hobby, and from what I can see that is exactly what a lot of women HAVE done, and will still do if the issue isn't discussed with genuine concern and real ideas for resolving it.
There are so many issues involved it is hard to cover it in a comment. We could talk about the low reporting of harassment in or outside the community, we could discuss that in the USA alone for every reported rape there are 9 that are never reported (stats come from women's and rape crisis centers, women cannot be forced to report when they seek therapy for the damage done). And why is the reporting rate so low across the board? Well read some of the answers on these threads, you have the answer.
I do have to scroll back and catch te one comment from the guy who said they don't want women in their games, they game to get away from women. Go tell that to the guy that had an absolute meltdown when I offered an all woman's game as if that in and of itself was a crime. I pointed out to him there ARE men that don't want women in their games and they have no need to advertise that fact because about 95% of the games have no women by default. He called me a liar trying to create dissension in the community. But I appreciate the verification of my assertion I can go shove it in HIS face.
For all you awesome guys who see the problem and speak out, kudos to you. Women didn't get the right to vote until the majority of males voted to approved it with THEIR votes. The victims will never speak out until they have some reasonable assurance that they will be heard and not treated as the guilty party simply because they are making charges some simply wouldn't believe until they saw it in front of them, and I would bet some wouldn't see it even then.
I'll stop here. But if you want to attack my points I am not a young person given to hysteria, I have worked in far tougher fields than the gaming community, I am perfectly capable of standing my ground point for point and I have data and evidence to back me up. What I hate is having to stand my ground in something that was sold to me as a FUN LEISURE activity. I am nearly at the point of walking away myself, despite the money I have already invested and cannot recover.

DM Howard

Explorer
As I said in the other thread on this topic: my wife has experienced brutal (basically torture) rape and I have become very hyper sensitive to things like harassment and sexist jokes. I am doing my part by not participating, not engendering an environment at my table that allows that to form, and doing my utmost to stop any type of behavior like that when I see it in public. I am not the strongest man in the room, I have mild asthma, but I will get beat up if I have to in order to save someone.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Yet again we have a handful of gamers coming in to whine about their hurt feelings over the "White Male Terrorism" label, purely because they happen to share some traits with the ones who are committing these acts. "That's hate speech! That's inflammatory! That's sexist, racist and wrong," they wail.

Gosh... it must be frustrating to feel like you're being demonized simply because a minority of bad apples are from the same demographic that you are.

Congratulations. Now you know how about a billion Muslims worldwide feel.

Pro-Tip, DudeBros -- literally EVERY female pro colleague that I have in this industry has a bunch of stories of harassment and worse, occurring at Cons. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Am I supposed to believe, according to your argument, that they must ALL be engaged in some gigantic conspiracy of lies?

Howsabout you grow the hell up, instead?

dave2008

Legend
It seems you're just arguing semantics. Surely you understand the difference between 1 person in 10 years claiming harassment and hundreds claiming harassment each year. If you want to call the former a "big problem" then what do we call the latter? A "huge ultra mega gigantic problem"?

You might not agree, but most people operate under the idea that there are varying degrees to how big/serious a problem can be.

I agree, there are varying degrees. In addition, I would say sexual harassment is one of the largest and most serious issues facing our world. So even if there is less sexual harassment in the gaming community than the population as a whole I am guessing it is a big problem. My comment was about your apparent attitude that if the gaming culture reflects the culture as whole with regard to harassment then that is as it should be. I don't know if that is truly your attitude, but that is how it came off to me.

Possibly, it would all depend on what behavioral rules each table top group/hobby shop/community event has in place. This isn't a false dichotomy, the only choices aren't kick the alleged bully out of the group/shop/convention or ignore the person claiming that harassment took place. Separating the parties and encouraging people to find DM's/groups that they enjoy playing with, mentioning to everyone that harassment won't be tolerated, keeping a closer eye on someone who's had a harassment claim against them, and encouraging the people within the group/shop/event to report harassment they've experienced or seen (if you have 3 people who all claim to have seen the same thing then I think its much easier to take action as opposed to just a 1 on 1 where both people are claiming the opposite).

Agreed, and I am not advocating a B-W solution. I am advocating working toward a better solution. That is why I said "...remain(ing) the same means victims get caught in the net." I am making a stance against the status quo, with the implied intent to make things better. To move forward on this subject how about these suggestions (regarding conventions and organized play):

Clearly stated policy against harassment (online and in print posted at the venue, tickets, etc.), stating possibilty of prosecution/legal action against perpetrators

if there is an issue, you could follow the following guidelines (these are very much WIP):

1) Clear evidence that someone was harassed: Harasser is ejected from the event, banned from future events, and turned over to prosecuting authorities.

2) Clear evidence that someone has lied about harrassment: The liar is ejected from the event, and banned from future events.

3) No evidence: Both parties are ejected from the event. The supposed harrasser is escorted to their vehicle, hotel room, mode of transportation or off the premises. The supposed victim is escorted to their vehicle, hotel room, mode of transportation or off the premises to a safe location.

What do you think?

It would seem that there are some deeply differing ideological differences here, as this sort of talk scares me frankly. It might seem like a good idea at first, until you're the one being thrown out on a baseless claim. There's a reason why our legal system isn't built like that, because the ones that were in the past were quite horrible and open to abuse. Sure this isn't a court of law and we aren't sentencing people to jail time, but if that's the better stance for our legal system to take why shouldn't we run our groups/shops/communities in the same manner?

Well, I admit a forum post is the not best method for conveying ones ideas and that statement came off a little wrong as I am a strong advocate for the innocent. My point was we should protect victims at least as much, and possibly more, as we protect the innocent. Remember, victims are innocent + being abused.

dave2008

Legend
I realize that the question is not directed at me, but being a convention organizer, I'll answer it for you.

1 ) Have a robust Anti-Harassment Policy. ( Not some weaksauce one that just quotes Wheaton's Law. You can find many good examples via the google machine. )

2 ) Ensure that everyone who attends your convention has the opportunity to read your policy and must acknowledge that they have seen it. ( Via click through if ticket bought online, via signing a document at registration if ticket bought day of show. )

3 ) Train all of your staff and volunteers in said policy.

4 ) Prominently feature your policy in various places. ( Repost it in social media, have it printed on signs at the convention. ) Anti-Harassment Policies serve several purposes. They set expectations of behavior and can reduce the number of incidents merely by existing. They also signal to people who have had bad experiences at other venues that they are welcome and can expect to be taken seriously if issues arise.

5 ) If an incident is reported, take swift action.

Agreed, and what should be that policy for "swift action?" Here is my proposal:

"If there is an issue, you could follow the following guidelines (these are very much WIP):

1) Clear evidence that someone was harassed: Harasser is ejected from the event, banned from future events, and turned over to prosecuting authorities.

2) Clear evidence that someone has lied about harassment: The lying accuser is ejected from the event, and banned from future events.

3) No evidence: Both parties are ejected from the event. The supposed harasser is escorted to their vehicle, hotel room, mode of transportation or off the premises. The supposed victim is escorted to their vehicle, hotel room, mode of transportation or off the premises to a safe location."

GMSkarka

Explorer
3) No evidence: Both parties are ejected from the event.

So the victim is punished if there are no witnesses? Charming.

Guys -- this isn't a goddamn GAME. There are no "rules" that are going to make this "balanced." Life doesn't work that way.

Fergurg

Explorer
So the victim is punished if there are no witnesses? Charming.

Guys -- this isn't a goddamn GAME. There are no "rules" that are going to make this "balanced." Life doesn't work that way.

But you're OK with punishing the accused on an unsubstantiated accusation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads