We're All Gamers Together: Why Harassment Has To Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another piece talking about the harassment of women in tabletop gaming has surfaced on the internet. At least one of the incidents related in that piece has been substantiated as being true, so I am willing to accept that there is more truth in that article. Whether gamers, or geeks in general, want to admit it or not, there are serious issues within our communities with how people act towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQI. We need to knock that off right now. Obviously, this is an opinion piece.
Just as a warning, for those who might be bothered by certain sorts of content, some of the incidents that were relayed to me, the stories that were told, have jarring, uncomfortable occurrences in them. If mentions of rape and unsolicitated physical contact will bother you, you might want to skip the rest of this article. I know reading the emails and PMs from these women bothered me as they came in.

As much as what these women related bothered me, and obviously bothered them as the targets of the harassment, I felt that the fact that it was so uncomfortable was exactly the reason why this current piece needed to be written. We, as a group, need to start looking the people doing this harassment in the eye and telling them that we don’t think it is okay. We need to stop pushing these accounts into the shadows, under the rugs, and pretending that they do not exist. We need to make our communities into better places for everyone, and not just a bunch of men.

I put out a call over my various social media feeds (which was shared a lot), asking for women to share their experiences of harassment in tabletop gaming with me. Anonymity was offered to those who wanted it, and not surprisingly most respondents asked that their names be kept confidential. The reasons for them wanting to be kept anonymous were one of two. First, they were afraid of further harassment within their communities for calling out the bad behavior. They seen how women who tell men to stop get treated in small, closed communities and, for better or worse, they want to continue with their hobbies without additional harassment. The second reason was a bit scarier. Some of these women are professionals, working in tabletop gaming in a number of different capacities, who fear that publicly coming forward would negatively impact their careers within gaming.

I’ll just say that last one again, with emphasis: they were afraid that coming forward about their harassment, or the harassment that they had witnessed, would negatively impact their careers in tabletop gaming.

Because of these reasons, I will be keeping the identities of everyone who asked anonymous. Everyone who spoke with me identified themselves, I am just not identifying them.

One of the common threads through the experiences shared was rape. Most of these women had had characters raped during convention play, online games, or at events at stores. Sometimes the rapes were matter-of-factly introduced into play, others there was a titillating level of graphic detail to the assaults. One women talked about how a regular attendee at a local convention bragged of having a “rape kit” in his car for the women at the convention, and at one point he yelled at her to “find him women to sleep with.” She also talked about the organizers of the convention having a “men only camping retreat” and when she was on the board of the con the only way that she could attend was “nude and wearing a dog collar.” Another woman talked about the GM of her online game suddenly having her character knocked unconscious, taken away on a ship, and then graphically narrated raping her character. All of this occurred on voice chat while using a popular virtual tabletop site.

Another woman told me that her attempts at organizing a couple of women only games for a VTT online convention was met with such vehemence from male gamers that the games were pulled from the schedule of the convention.

People wonder why more and more people think that anti-harassment policies are needed at conventions. After all, even Gen Con has one:
Gen Con: The Best Four Days in Gaming! is dedicated to providing a harassment-free Event experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Convention participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled without refund at the discretion of show management.

And an Ethics policy:

All of the following constitute grounds for expulsion from the convention without refund:
  • Violating any federal, state, or local laws, facility rules or convention policies
  • Failure to comply with the instructions of Gen Con Event Staff or security personnel
  • Using anything in a threatening or destructive manner against person or property
  • Endangering the safety of oneself or others
  • Threatening, stealing, cheating or harassing others
  • Failure to conduct oneself in a mature manner

The creators of the 13th Age RPG have anti-harassment policies for their organized play because “Nobody shows up for a game with the goal of feeling uncomfortable or unsafe, and sorry that they came. But organized play brings together many different types of people with different expectations and approaches to play. An anti-harassment policy sets ground rules that everyone can recognize and follow, resulting in better games and more fun.” In the policy they outline harassment as “Everyone has the right to a space that is safe from any type of harassment: physical, verbal, emotional, or sexual.”

Honestly, considering the experiences that have been related to me, these sorts of policies should be commonplace for conventions and organized play. I have heard that Paizo is currently drafting an anti-harassment policy for their organized play, and Ad Astra Games has one in place already.

These are some of the more overt things that women have to deal with in their tabletop gaming experiences, and doesn’t go into the more “casual” or systemic harassment and sexism that women deal with at conventions, in online play and at game stores. One of the women talked about women being a subclass in society, and it being more so in gaming communities. “It sucks for a female gamer, going into a store and having that reaction.”

Men are openly commenting on women’s body parts in a sexual manner. Sexual content is added to games because “that’s the kind of stuff that women like.” Crude sexual references and jokes are made.

I’m not saying that there is no place for sexual, or adult themes, in gaming. Just the opposite, in fact. In my personal groups I game with grownups, and we play games that can have adult material in them. We have, however, agreed that content like that is okay in advance, and most of the time we agree that players’ agency over their characters should not be railroaded by the story of the game, or the actions of the GM. There is a huge difference between making awkward sexual comments out of the blue, because you are hoping it will interest a woman gamer, and making awkward sexual comments that people expect in their game. This goes doubly so for games in public spaces, like conventions or stores.

And just because it is okay with your wife, girlfriend or the woman in your gaming group at home, that doesn’t mean that it is okay with all women. If it makes someone at the table uncomfortable, or makes them feel like they are being harassed, just don’t do it, or apologize for having done it.

And, of course, none of them are safe from accusations of being a “fake geek girl,” or being in the store to get something for their husband or boyfriend. Apparently the idea that a woman would want to buy her own dice or miniatures or rule books is alien to some gamers.

As Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World, points out in an online essay, there have always been gender problems in tabletop gaming. But he also points out that women have been interested in tabletop gaming for a long time. But, just because something has “always been that way,” it does not mean that it has to stay that way. Even in the 1970s TSR Games employees were taken to task by fandom, and female designers, to be more respectful of women gamers and to stop using phrases like “ladygamers.” Sadly, these attitudes that were considered to be outdated back then are still being perpetuated now…in some cases by some of the same people.

My first AD&D group, back in 1979, had a woman for the GM, and about half of the group were women. Most of my groups since then have had women involved in them. We need to be better, as a community, about these things. We need to speak out when we see women being harassed, online or in person, and we need to tell the people who think that doing this is okay that it isn’t. We need to be active in making the change that creates better communities where we don’t have to worry about our friends being harassed because of their gender, or their sexual preferences, or their ethnicity. We have to convince conventions and organized play societies that having anti-harassment policies is a good thing, and enforcing them so that everyone feels welcomed and accepted is a better thing.

Guys, we have to remember that this isn’t about us. This isn’t about our perceptions of what is happening at conventions, during organized play events and in online games. We sit back, listen and ask what we need to do, rather than try to make the discussion about how it “isn’t all men.” We already know that. We need to not take the focus away from what needs to be done.

There are never going to be completely safe spaces, in gaming or outside of it. However, we can make better places where no one has to worry about their body parts being part of the table talk, or their characters being sexually violated. It is the 21st century, and we should be better about this than we are. We need to stop being quiet, stop facilitating harassment, and we need to start making better spaces for ourselves and our fellow gamers. A group, like nerds, that talk so much about being harassed in their youth for being different should really be more sensitive about harassing others. We can, as a group, be better about this, and we need to do it.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Gen Con Attendance 61,423 in 2015 if 8% were assaulted that is 5,000 people...(4,914.8) what can we do to bring that down to a double digit number this year and a 0 next...

5,000 people got assaulted? Where was this happening? Where were the police?

Heck where was the news media?

All I will say in this thread is if my group of DnDer's ever sees someone (anyone) getting assaulted or bullied, we will be putting a stop to it.

(We are an eclectic group of ex military, librarians, retail, police, male, female, trans, LARP, and SCA participants.)

Taneras

First Post
Won't somebody please think of the poor white men!

I'm asking people to think of the victims of harassment, you're the one bringing in demographics.

Sure, white males can be harassed, raped, abused and the victim of racism. But that's not the majority of cases. But that's a small percentage (insignificant really, being within the margin of error). It doesn't deserve to be the focus of the conversation and is really a distraction of the larger issue.

I'm not saying focus on men, I'm saying focus on stopping harassment.

If the house is on fire, you don't take a fire extinguisher to the smouldering shed.

The fire is on the gaming convention, lets put out that fire. Lets stop harassment.

Yeah, any harassment policy should be broad and encompass everyone. Was that ever in doubt?

Yes, there have been plenty of posts suggesting that men have very little to fear and women have everything to fear. We aren't talking about cells that are apart of a larger organism. We aren't looking at the entire male organism and saying, well only a few cells are sick, the overall organism is very healthy so no issue here. Oh wait, look at this organism over here. Wow, look at all the sick cells, yes this female organism is really bad off and in need of help.

Those individuals in the male organism are being overlooked just because most of the other cells in that same demographic are doing well. A lot of good that does for the few male cells that aren't doing well.

The focus here should be on the individual, not the demographic. Focusing on demographics can let some victims slip through the cracks. If we focus on all victims then it'd be a lot tougher for a victim to slip through the cracks.

Focusing on just women excludes all sorts of other groups, such as People of Colour, intersex and homosexual individuals, and people with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.
I don't think the discussion was ever on *just* protecting women. And as we address the issue for one group, it helps address the issue for others. It helps everyone.

I don't think that's been the intent but I've seen several posts asking people to broaden the conversation as it has almost exclusively been about men and women.

Taneras

First Post
There is no need to tweak anything. The harassment policy should be about no harassment.

Not according to Christopher Helton, the author of the featured article. He's repeatedly said this discussion is about women and an anti-harassment policy aimed at protecting them.

That would be great if this were a genderless problem, but it isn't. It is about women being harassed. If the topic were "hey, men and women are getting harassed and threatened with rape in tabletop gaming then we could leave gender out the the discussion.

And he's not alone. I'm not going to dig up more posts, I'm sure me just pointing this out will bring them out of the wood works. That's why I'm referring to tweaking a policy. Assuming they build a policy to protect women, how hard would it be to tweak it to protect everyone? I've asked that question to them and it hasn't been answered.

The enforcement probably will be mainly protecting women.

Yes I agree.

5,000 people got assaulted? Where was this happening? Where were the police?

Heck where was the news media?

All I will say in this thread is if my group of DnDer's ever sees someone (anyone) getting assaulted or bullied, we will be putting a stop to it.

(We are an eclectic group of ex military, librarians, retail, police, male, female, trans, LARP, and SCA participants.)

I don't know the were...I mean it must be at tables or on selling floor or in halls I would guess. I was told there was nothing police can do...

I'm asking people to think of the victims of harassment, you're the one bringing in demographics.

I'm not saying focus on men, I'm saying focus on stopping harassment.

The fire is on the gaming convention, lets put out that fire. Lets stop harassment.

Yes, there have been plenty of posts suggesting that men have very little to fear and women have everything to fear. We aren't talking about cells that are apart of a larger organism. We aren't looking at the entire male organism and saying, well only a few cells are sick, the overall organism is very healthy so no issue here. Oh wait, look at this organism over here. Wow, look at all the sick cells, yes this female organism is really bad off and in need of help.

Those individuals in the male organism are being overlooked just because most of the other cells in that same demographic are doing well. A lot of good that does for the few male cells that aren't doing well.

The focus here should be on the individual, not the demographic. Focusing on demographics can let some victims slip through the cracks. If we focus on all victims then it'd be a lot tougher for a victim to slip through the cracks.

I don't think that's been the intent but I've seen several posts asking people to broaden the conversation as it has almost exclusively been about men and women.
A rising tide lifts all ships.
A policy (and change of mindset) that makes harassment unacceptable towards women will also benefit men who are being harassed.

The conversation is about ending harassment, but focusing on the most prominent and widespread instance of harassment. Because it's a HUGE issue and requires a lot of work, which means attacking the problem bit-by-bit. You win a war by winning innumerable battles, both small and large.

Actually, you are once again misunderstanding what is being said. The article is about harassment of women. Bringing in 100 hypothetical cases about men and complaining about how the enforcement will probably target men is not the point of the article. A harassment policy probably is a good idea without considering women, but the clear problem of harassment of women makes it necessary to have the policy.

A properly written policy will protect everyone and I have not seen examples of policies that do not do that.

I prefer to be more inclusive and consider other demographics that also get targeted, at least in discussion here.

Another edge case about the poor oppressed man is not needed.

You guys do understand that the Gen Con harassment policy has been in place for a while, right? I mean, since everyone read my article you all saw the section talking about the actual policy that Gen Con has, right? I even highlighted it in red for the convenience of some, and linked to the website for the full details. Once again, this is something that has happened, is in place and isn't a hypothetical.

Taneras

First Post
A rising tide lifts all ships.
A policy (and change of mindset) that makes harassment unacceptable towards women will also benefit men who are being harassed.

The conversation is about ending harassment, but focusing on the most prominent and widespread instance of harassment. Because it's a HUGE issue and requires a lot of work, which means attacking the problem bit-by-bit. You win a war by winning innumerable battles, both small and large.

Well said, I agree. I just think it does more harm than good to suggest that men are somehow essentially immune to being harassed and all they have to worry about is hurt feelings.

Obviously the majority of the victims are women, there's nothing wrong with pointing that out. Facts are facts. That said, what brought me here and has kept me spending so much time here is this demographics theme. I think its gone beyond just pointing out that the majority of victims are women to solely focusing on women - which as I said earlier could influence some men to not come forward with their issues (a bit like domestic abuse and rape, it can be tougher to come forward as a man in those instances because of the way society views men and women).

So yes, a rising tide lifts all ships. Hopefully our efforts at reducing harassment at gaming conventions (and honestly all walks of life - we can bring what we learn here and apply it to other areas) do have good results. As I've stated earlier this thread has raised awareness with me.

You guys do understand that the Gen Con harassment policy has been in place for a while, right? I mean, since everyone read my article you all saw the section talking about the actual policy that Gen Con has, right? I even highlighted it in red for the convenience of some, and linked to the website for the full details. Once again, this is something that has happened, is in place and isn't a hypothetical.

But the policy isn't working? I am not getting this then. How are there so many assaults if we have a way to deal with them? Are they not being handled?

Taneras

First Post
Actually, you are once again misunderstanding what is being said. The article is about harassment of women.

What's there to misunderstand about the statement "That would be great if this were a genderless problem, but it isn't." The reason Christopher Helton feels he needs to make an article about harassment of women is because he doesn't think there is an issue with harassment with men. Again, it's not a genderless issue. It's a female issue. According to him.

Bringing in 100 hypothetical cases about men and complaining about how the enforcement will probably target men is not the point of the article.

Thankfully I made no such distinction. I just got finished agreeing with you that the enforcement will mostly protect women as they're the most common victim. By virtue that would mean that the same enforcement would target men as they're statistically the group doing the harassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases