Werewolf Hunter Help Needed

ThorneMD

First Post
It's been a while since I posted, life has been complex, so if I am in the wrong thread please don't kill me :confused:

I am in need of ideas to create a werewolf hunter, but for some reason don't know where to get started. So I'm turning to all the briliant minds of ENworld

I would like him to be Human

What classes should he take? Feats? Skills? Equipment? Any prestige class(s)?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Ranger makes a good core class choice; most lycanthropes will be humanoid or monstrous humaoind.

Silvered weapons are a must, failing that applications of silversheen.

Silver Blood makes for a good feat choice.

Finally, if anyone in your group has the Masque of the Red Death book (Whit Wolf/Arthaus), the Lycanthrope Hunter makes for a good Prestige class choice.

ThorneMD

First Post
Thanks Reveille

Unfortunately I don't have access to Masque of the Red Death book, so no Lycanthrope Hunter. Any chance you can give me the highlights?

I think the best way to start is to evaluate why it's not enough for a ranger to take lycanthropes as a favored enemy? How much more specialized must a werewolf hunter be to satisfy your vision?

Another point to consider is that over-specialized PCs tend to very lopsided in actual play. I learned this the hard way with my Dethknyghte PrC. When fighting undead, the Dethknyghte totally dominated the combat but was almost worthless when fighting giants or dragons. So unless your campaign is going to be almost exclusively werewolf hunting, having a highly specialized class may reduce the fun and increase the frustration in the long term. Which brings me back to my first question, namely 'is it enough to have a ranger who chooses lycanthropes as his first enemy?'

ThorneMD

First Post
You are correct sir Griffith ... unfortunately I wasn't specific enough.

The werewolf hunter is an NPC tracking down one of the PCs who happens to be playing a werewolf. The NPC is an old enemy from his past, so as much as I agree that a overspecialized PC might be useless in gameplay in this case I believe it's good.

Arkhandus

First Post
Let's see. Some possibilities and notes.

1st, definitely need to get a silver weapon or two early on, as Reveille mentioned.

2nd, Ranger can work, with their Track feat, animal companion to help in tracking (get a canine or something else with Scent), and Favored Enemies (obviously, choosing Humanoid - Shapechanger at first, then choosing Giant as your second FE: humanoids and giants are the two kinds of creature that can become werewolves).

You might multiclass into Paladin, if you're Lawful Good, after gaining 5th-level as a Ranger for the second favored enemy. Werewolves are always Chaotic Evil, so a Paladin's Smite Evil and spells would be very effective against them. Paladins can Remove Disease, like lycanthropy, IIRC, to prevent new werewolf victims from turning into werewolves themselves.

You could just start as a Paladin, if you liked, but probably don't bother multiclassing if so. Clerics can also be effective, since they can Remove Disease as well and they can be effective in melee combat. Plus, they could take the Animal domain to be better at dealing with a werewolf's normal wolf minions, if any.

There's the Bloodhound prestige class, which appeared in Masters of the Wild for 3.0 D&D; it may've been reprinted in 3.5's Complete Warrior or Complete Adventurer, so check and see. It's an effective tracker and warrior, though it doesn't get any Favored Enemy increases for multiclassed Rangers, so it may or may not be good for you.

The Foehunter prestige class is absurdly powerful and broken, but it fits exactly the kind of idea you're going for. Of course, it's only absurdly powerful and broken when you face the chosen type of Hated Enemy; the rest of the time it's just below average. Foehunter is also in Masters of the Wild, so it may have been reprinted in 3.5's Complete Warrior or Complete Adventurer; I mean, they reprinted the Frenzied Berserker from MotW after all, against all reason and sanity, so why not?

The King of the Wild prestige class (primarily the King of the Forest or King of the Plains versions) is also fitting, and also comes from Masters of the Wild. I don't think it was ever reprinted in 3.5, because the 3.5 DMG's Horizon Walker prestige class is similar in concept but terribly mediocre in comparison. Kings of the Wild are fairly strong, but not quite broken, whereas Horizon Walkers are just average warriors that are ever-so-marginally better against foes from certain environments.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
The sworn slayer PrC (can't remember the issue number) from dragon magazine would be good. The 3.0 foe hunter PrC would also fit well.

Thanael

Explorer
ThorneMD said:
You are correct sir Griffith ... unfortunately I wasn't specific enough.

The werewolf hunter is an NPC tracking down one of the PCs who happens to be playing a werewolf. The NPC is an old enemy from his past, so as much as I agree that a overspecialized PC might be useless in gameplay in this case I believe it's good.

Sworn Slayer is from Dragon #324. It's a 5 level PrC iirc. I think it effectively grants the Nemesis feat without the NPC having to be exalted among other things. (...man that dandello site is great!)

So tell us more about the NPC. Alignment? Why does he hunt? What's the connection between him and the PC ?

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
What level will you be?

Basically, you need three things:
- Ability to find werewolves (detect shapechanger and Track and the like)
- Ability to hurt werewolves (silver weapons or magic)
- Ability to not turn into a werewolf when you inevitably get bitten (remove disease + being 12th level, immunity to magical diseases, or remove curse + a high Will save)

Sadly there's no such thing as Favored Enemy: Humanoid (shapechanger), but that would be a reasonable addition to the rules.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads