• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Werewolves/rats and damage immunity

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Unarmed attacks are weapons as they are listed in the weapons chart as simple weapons that don't cost anything do 1 point of bludgeoning damage and have no properties. P 149 PHB.

Just wanted to note that- as of the errata to the Player's Handbook, released on the 10th of June, 2015 and found here- Unarmed Strikes are no longer considered weapons and do not belong on the weapon table.

Eejit

First Post
No, they aren't immune since falling damage isn't caused by a weapon.

Unless they land on a weapon being held by a character.

If they manage that precision a lycanthrope can survive a fall from any height without taking damage. However if they miss the spear-wielding adventurer sitting at the bottom of the cliff the fall could well prove fatal!

Last edited:

Azurewraith

Explorer
Unless they land on a weapon being held by a character.

If they manage that precision a lycanthrope can survive a fall from any height without taking damage. However if they miss the spear-wielding adventurer sitting at the bottom of the cliff the fall could well prove fatal!
So here's one what happens if I fire an arrow at a falling lycan do they fall on the arrow and die? Or would it count as a weapon I mean the arrow is unattended and it could be said they fell on it

Eejit

First Post
So here's one what happens if I fire an arrow at a falling lycan do they fall on the arrow and die? Or would it count as a weapon I mean the arrow is unattended and it could be said they fell on it

Well if you fire an arrow with a bow that counts as a weapon attack even though the arrow itself isn't a weapon, or if you throw it that would count as an improvised weapon attack. So the lycan wouldn't be effected.

However if you're juggling arrows, trip and some accidentally go flying away that's entirely innocuous and so would probably hurt a lycan.

Just like if you drop an anvil on a werewolf's head intentionally that's an improvised weapon attack and so it isn't hurt. However if you drop one by mistake you get lycanthrope pancakes.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Potentially. Contact poison needs exposed skin, so hitting hair/fur won't work as when the lycans are being all fuzzy.

The lycanthropes in my campaign are of the Mexican hairless variety.

download.jpg

Fear El Tigre the Weretiger! Also he takes no damage from falls because he always lands on his feet!

Galendril

Explorer
MM Errata:

Damage Resistances/Immunities. Throughout the book, instances
of “nonmagical weapons” in Damage Resistances/Immunities
entries have been replaced with “nonmagical attacks.”

Remove ads