• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Werewolves/rats and damage immunity

Galendril

Explorer
So natural phenomena can hurt them but constructed objects can't?

What if they fall on a pointy stalagmite? Do they take piercing damage? What if a giant is nearby and could potentially wield it?

If a tree falls in a forest onto a wererat and no one is around to wield it, is it a weapon?

The stalagmite could be wielded as an improvised weapon, so no damage. There aren't any rules currently about monsters are sufficiently powerful enough to overcome immunity to weapons afaik. So, based off what we currently have, no a giant would not do any damage with with a non magical non silvered stalagmite.

Anything else?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The stalagmite could be wielded as an improvised weapon, so no damage. There aren't any rules currently about monsters are sufficiently powerful enough to overcome immunity to weapons afaik. So, based off what we currently have, no a giant would not do any damage with with a non magical non silvered stalagmite.

Anything else?

Why can't that same giant pick up the section of floor they fell on and wield it as a weapon?

Why is a stalagmite considered a separate thing but the rest of the cavern floor is just a whole cavern floor?

What about if an even bigger giant picks up the whole cavern floor?

Please respond with page numbers. I am only interested in the RAW on cavern floors.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Why can't that same giant pick up the section of floor they fell on and wield it as a weapon?

Why is a stalagmite considered a separate thing but the rest of the cavern floor is just a whole cavern floor?

What about if an even bigger giant picks up the whole cavern floor?

Please respond with page numbers. I am only interested in the RAW on cavern floors.

I guess at the point its picked up the cavern floor it is held in two hands and therefore an improvised weapon see p.148dmg

S'mon

Legend
No, I'm one of those GM's which require his players to actually think. I won't let them get by on using naked brute force even though they've done no research and/or ignored all clues.

You only accept a particular thought of thinking - "what solution does the GM have in mind".

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
It appears you're just using the rules as a non-magical, non-silvered bludgeoning weapon to beat down the hypothetical player's tactic because you don't like it. And that's fine as far as that goes - you're the DM and your ruling stands. Let's just not pretend you're following RAW and others are not.

It's not fine. It's the kind of crappy pixelbitch GMing that drives good players up the wall.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It's not fine. It's the kind of crappy pixelbitch GMing that drives good players up the wall.

Yeah, I mean, it's not the ruling I'd make, but I support the right of the DM to make whatever ruling he or she wants as long as the players on the receiving end are okay with it. As a player, I'd feel like the rules were being used against us because the DM doesn't like the idea, so I wouldn't be okay with it.

Remove ads