• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Werewolves/rats and damage immunity

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I quite like this point ...

It's not a good point at all. The goal and approach stated by the player in that example is to beat a wererat to death with a club. That very clearly calls the rules for weapons and hit point reduction into play whereas strangling a wererat to death does not.

But does this mean that all wererats can survive falls of any height as they are immune to any form of falling damage? (c.f. breaking/damaging bones)

That is a fair question considering that poster's position and one that I believe comes up with some frequency in damage immunity/reduction discussions.

Anselyn

Explorer
It's not a good point at all. The goal and approach stated by the player in that example is to beat a wererat to death with a club. That very clearly calls the rules for weapons and hit point reduction into play whereas strangling a wererat to death does not.

I agree with you on the topic of both strangulation and the flaw of clubbing analogy. However, I did think it was an argument that considered the reality of the gameworld rather than this RAW twaddle. If I want to play a board game, I play a board game not a RPG.

That is a fair question considering that poster's position and one that I believe comes up with some frequency in damage immunity/reduction discussions.

I think that rulings must always be employed to make sure the game models a sensible game world. Taking the RAW and extrapolating the nature of gameworld reality from that is the path to madness. [Rules-as-physics ..].

But then I'm a grumpy-old-man gamer - but, equally, the sort of person /5e is trying to pull back to the game, I believe. Much of this discussion has done little to entice me back.

Remove ads