• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WFRP - THIRD Edition Announced from FFG

Disapointed

This doesnt look like the WFRP I know and love. I thought the change from 3E D&D to 4E was good, simply because I had some problems DMing 3E (but not playing it, mind you). However, WFRP 2E was by far my favorite game to GM. I hoped they would refine 2E instead of tossing it out the window and going for something radically different. And also, if they are hoping to bring lots of new players to roleplaying, shouldn't they have gone for a more affordable solution? 99$ is a lot to shell out for the core box.

frankthedm

First Post
If it was named Talisman RPG, i'd be fine with that. Heck it even looks more like a Talisman RPG akin to Descent's Road to Legend expansion.

It could have plenty of depth, but it certainly looks to me like the "Create a new game and give it the old name" design philosophy plaguing newer RPG editions.

Baumi

Adventurer
I find it really interesting. It's always good to try something new and this looks really fun and something to get new Players into our Hobby. I mean it looks much less daunting (for new players) than standard dices and overcrouded Charactersheets full of complicated Numbers and Stats of the usual systems.

But the 99 Bucks (where is that from?) Price Point would be a real showstopper.

Also the custom made stuff (Dice and Cards) make everything easier but are hard to replace if lost.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Looks interesting. Historically boxed sets are a brave move, so FFG must be very confident in the quality of the product. This might be one I have a sniff at.

Looks interesting. Historically boxed sets are a brave move, so FFG must be very confident in the quality of the product. This might be one I have a sniff at.

Well I am basing this assumption on little information but: TTRPG box sets may (I don't know) sell low but board games don't, it is the standard. This game really really looks like a board game/ttrpg combo.

As I said assumption (the mother of all co*k ups, I know) but it sure looks like it!

vagabundo

Adventurer
Looks like they are marketing this at the the GW customers - the tradition Warhammer mini guys.

Seems like a big break with 2e, but maybe that is good. Are the 2e player dissatisfied with their lot?

tmatk

Explorer
FFGs prices tend to be inflated; you can get their products much cheaper else where. For example, War of the Ring is listed at $80 in their site, I got it from thewarstore.com for around $50 not too long ago.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
The usage of special dice reminds me of the old Throwing Stones RPG - which apparently never had any success.

Interesting marketing idea, btw. Imaging buying Career Boosters, with the special cards and dice needed for characters belonging to a career. I wonder whether the system actually encourages you to change careers everey so often. :)

Hey, and we have a parallel to WFRP 1st edition (don't know how 2nd edition handles this): You had to get all the trappings for the new career for your character before he could change to it. The only difference is now that you have to buy the trappings for him at a shop.

This whole thing is interesting, at least!

pawsplay

Hero
I'm not saying it's the Devil. I'm just saying I don't understand, and I fear things I don't understand. I mean, I LURV Warhammer FRP, so I can guess it's unlikely I will lurv anything else as much. This could also be cool, but it's very confusing that it's called WFRP. Also, I'm still not over the whole D&D 4e thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads