WH40K Wrath & Glory Is Here!

As of right now, you can pick up the Warhammer 40K: Wrath & Glory core rulebook PDF from Cubicle 7 if you pre-order the hardcover (which is expected to ship this Autumn). UPDATE -- you can also pick up the PDF on DriveThruRPG, and if you previously purchased the Ulisses version of the book, it will be automatically updated for you for free there.

imagineGod

Legend
Speaking of orks and proper orks no less.
joke_wh40k_orks_vs_dnd5e_orks.jpg

Jaeger

That someone better
So few comments on this much awaited revision to the Warhammer 40,000 RPG. So sad.
All publishers not producing D&D 5th Edition might as well just close shop at this rate.

While not quite that bad, the d20 OGL has had a profound effect on the hobby.

D&D used to be the 800lb gorilla in the room. Now it's the 800,000lb gorilla.

It was a brilliant move by WOTC. The d20 OGL made the "RPG Hobby" = D&D.

The 5e Boom has not trickled down to the non-d20/D&D side of the RPG hobby.

Trickle down economics was a BS economic theory. And it doesn't work for the RPG industry either.

That being said I am very interested in looking at the system W&G uses. Die pool systems tend to work well when working within a specified "power band" for the genre the system is trying to emulate. I am curious to see if W&G really does do separate and distinct "Tiers" of power.

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
I think that the original design by Ulisses Spiel using d6 dice pools was pretty smart, since many of the miniatures players of Warhammer 40,000 already have buckets of d6 dice.

Of course, there are some aspects that I did not enjoy, like the flat weapons damage, with just one or two dice added for variety. For traditional role players, from the dominant D&D play pool, having swings in damage dice has come to be expected.

Also, the layout and indexing left a lot to be desired, but, fortunately, the Revised Edition of Wrath and Glory by Cubicle 7 Entertainment fixed. that.

Another, gripe was trying to squeeze as much lore of the Warhammer 40,000 universe into one book, to showcase its breadth, leaves very few career options fully fleshed out, when compared to the earlier Fantasy Flight Games of Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Death Watch and Only War. However, those games suffered the poor d100 dice resolution at high levels and very low levels. of play.

I have the original W&G. I was content with it. What has actually changed in the mechanics of the new version?

I'm not sure about others, but I'm not sure why I'd want to buy the new version. I did not have problems understanding how the original W&G worked and not sure what the new version brings to the table that the old version did not.

That could change if I knew what they changed and liked the changes, but other than some odd references to a small thing or other, I'm not really sure what changes they made. It does not sound too large of a difference or change from what I've been reading. Just reformatting to make it easier to read or something like that?

imagineGod

Legend
Cubicle7 offered a free PDF update to those who purchased the first versionn. As for the revised version, Cubicle7 also promised a free errata from it for use by those stuck with the first Wrat and Glory edition.

GreyLord

Legend
Cubicle7 offered a free PDF update to those who purchased the first versionn. As for the revised version, Cubicle7 also promised a free errata from it for use by those stuck with the first Wrat and Glory edition.
I never got the PDF, just the hardcopy.

When they post the free PDF update I guess I could use a link to see what was updated.

Wightbred

Explorer
There are errors, but far fewer than the original, and they are fixing them for an updated PDF and the print version.

Huge fan of what C7 has done to the game. Substantial layout improvements. Much simpler and flavourful character creation. Lots and lots of small tweaks that improve gameplay. I even like the simplicity of the new character sheet.

The one thing I think I feel was not adequately addressed is balancing weapon damage and availability. There were some adjustments to availablility, but not enough. The Inferno Pistol still has the same availability as Master-crafted Laspistol (a good Las weapon) but does 10 more wounds on a hit, which is the difference between bouncing off and a fatal shot even for most top tier characters. (There a plenty more examples like this, but the weapons are not as simply comparable, eg: different ranges and traits, but they should be pretty clear to anyone who has played enough.)

There has been some good changes to make melee weapons more useful that exacerbate this problem. In the hands of a Space Marine, a Chain Sword was harder to obtain, but did around the same damage as a Boltgun (depending on Strength) Now a Chain Sword is easier to obtain and does an an average of 5 more damage than a Boltgun (based on the suggested starting attributes). A Space Marine who takes a Boltgun over a Chain Sword is now severely dropping their damage output. So I feel the melee improvements have gone too far. EDIT: Missed the improvement to Rapid Fire that boosts Boltgun damage output within 12m by about two. So this is now only a minor problem.

I agree that the weapons need to fit the fluff, and Plasma and Melta weapons should be terrifying. But it makes it very hard for a GM to balance enemies when some of the PCs are doing 5+ more wounds on a hit because these awesome weapons are as easy to get as much crappier ones. And Chain Swords are not that much better than Boltguns in the wargame.

I also understand that the GM can control access to weapons and has final say. But saying to a player that there is really only one good choice of weapon for their character feels constraining. And the knowledge that weapons are not balanced in the rules, may not be clear to a new GM who could make a mistake and have some characters (like a Space Marine) feel useless in combat.

And yes, I’m sure the FFG versions have similar problems, but the more random damage hid some of this when I used to play it.

OK. That’s enough of a rant about my personal bugbear. Go back to your enjoyment of the awesome revised game.

Last edited:

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
I loved Cubicle 7's AIME and I hope to try out Wrath and Glory sometime.

The network effect with d20 and DnD is huge though. Best support, richest ecosystem, most players who are willing to read the actual rules. That's been the biggest stumbling block on trying other systems. People get home from work and don't want to... work more. And reading rules feels like work.

Remove ads

Remove ads