D&D 5E What’s So Great About Medieval Europe?

MGibster

Legend
So I guess one of the things that's great about medieval Europe is that anyone can use it without fear of angering anyone. It's a period and place in time that can be mined by anyone with impunity.

TheSword

Legend
People are innately connected to and identify with the history of their peoples and countries. Even Americans (especially Americans)! It's not about "harming" long dead people (and I think you know that), it's about respecting living people and their heritage.

Yes I agree that people identify and take pride in their history. To be clear I’m talking about the matter causing less harm if use of the history and mythology is more remote. I don’t say none because I was always talking about living people and their connection to the past.

if my grandfather fought and died in WW2 insensitive use of the RAF would be more likely to cause offense. Insensitive use of the legend of Robin Hood (I was born and live in the Midlands) is probably not going to upset me at all. Neither is fiction involving the druids or the beaker folk.

I say this because it leads into the question of taste, and why some writing seems to be acceptable and some gets lambasted.

MGibster

Legend
People are innately connected to and identify with the history of their peoples and countries. Even Americans (especially Americans)! It's not about "harming" long dead people (and I think you know that), it's about respecting living people and their heritage.

I'm going to have to agree with Morrus here. For example there are a lot of modern Egyptians who have a strong sense of pride and a sense of ownership when it comes to Ancient Egyptians despite not sharing a language, religion, or many customs which I found to be surprising when I first discovered this. And of course this same sense of pride is found among other peoples over their history that stretches back centuries if not a millennia. I'm comfortable with the idea of respecting living people and their heritage.

Anti-inclusive content
Blood and soil

Imaro

Legend
Anything written by that particular author is for the trashcan by default.

I thought the article raised some good points about both the former representation of Chult (The primitive savages form a dark continent fantasy trope for African-esque places and people really needs to die in a fire) as well as acknowledging they've made some (giant IMO) steps but there are still issues with the representation. What exactly in the article made you feel it should be in a trashcan?

Remove ads