D&D General What’s the weirdest mount you’ve ever employed in-game?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Back in AD&D 2ed my DM had a system for "god shots" where you looked for Divine Intervention like a 10th level 5e cleric can. But it was a system where you rolled %, then kept on rolling under what you rolled to get bigger and better effects (and each roll was a bigger debt to your god, regardless if it succeeded)

Anyway, he did this for paladin mounts as well, and I ended up with an intelligent talking giant eagle that could shapeshift into a person.

Not crazy odd, but since he talked he developed a personality. His name was Durpal. First, he was a coward. Not a scaredy-cat, but he never liked combat and such. But he's do it for Lady Nikkidaema (his paladin). Second, (and it took years for the players to notice), he used base 8 for everything because giant eagles only had 4 talons per "hand". But basically, I took every chance to play up him being "the other" who didn't understand human customs, from dating to negotiations to whatever. He really became a player favorite.

Richards

Legend
My son's gnome fighter in my current campaign rides a Large jackalope into battle. He can also talk to it in the language of burrowing mammals, in which he has full fluency. (He also recently had him awakened, but the other PCs don't know about that yet - they're keeping it as surprise for later.)

In the campaign my son runs, I play a human fighter who rides a bronze griffon on occasion (no more than twice a week for an hour at a time, as per the figurine of wondrous power rules). While that's not all that unusual, the fact that he named his griffon "Dick" means that he often heads into combat riding his Dick.

Johnathan

Doug McCrae

Legend
My PC, a drider, carried the rest of the party up the outer wall of a tower. It was 3e D&D using Savage Species - all the PCs were monsters.

Mull Ponders

Explorer
AD&D 1st edition hardback, it was a subterranean lizard that could crawl on the ceiling. This was for a character who had a flaw of being allergic to horses.

aco175

Legend
Rode a tree once from a feather token. We were battling a dragon and used the tree to block a set of bard doors trying to keep the dragon inside. The PC planted the tree and rode it to the roof of the barn before jumping onto the dragon's back while it tried to excape.

Remove ads