D&D General What’s the weirdest mount you’ve ever employed in-game?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So the long story part of this was not the explanation of the situation

This is not the full explanation by a long shot. As you noted, it isn't like they move fast...

but that it took 8 in game days make your way out of the section. XD

I believe there were haste spells from scrolls employed, and an argument about how long the creature lived, and how much aging it could withstand...

MarkB

Legend
In a session only a month ago, we encountered a gelatinous cube riding on an underdark lizard.

It didn't quite involve riding, but the party did have to deal with a gelatinous cube transportation issue when I ran Out of the Abyss. The game features Glabbagool, an intelligent gelatinous cube, who had tagged along with the party for several sessions, but I felt like he'd be a liability to them during the next leg of their journey as he was rather slow, so I provided a natural point in the story where they'd have to part ways - the party's next journey would be along a river in the Underdark, aboard a wooden boat, which would melt if the cube tried to board it.

I was somewhat taken aback when instead of bidding the cube an emotional farewell, the players immediately fell into brainstorming an increasingly outlandish set of methods by which they might possibly bring him along - I'd utterly underestimated how attached they'd become to him.

In the end, I let them find a seam of loose slate and work up some makeshift mortar, with the eventual result that they finally set off downstream crowded in with their gelatinous friend aboard what was quite possibly the Underdark's only ever vessel with crazy-paving decking.

Richards

Legend
I once set the PCs up against a group of six animated gnome skeletons riding on a zombie dragon turtle through the Negative Energy Plane. The problem was, each of the skeletons had a bead from a necklace of fireballs and on their action they were each going to throw their bead at the PCs and "soften them up" so their master, a gnome lich, could then come in and finish them off. Instead, one of the PCs won initiative and lobbed a fireball from a wand at the zombie dragon turtle, engulfing all of the skeletons perched on its back and detonating their fireball beads.

50d6 points of fireball damage later, there was an unappealing blob of turtle soup floating through the Negative Energy Plane.

Johnathan

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
It didn't quite involve riding, but the party did have to deal with a gelatinous cube transportation issue when I ran Out of the Abyss.

Very cool, and the 3rd Ed Arms & Equipment Guide, one of the whackiest D&D products of all time (some very clever and funny stuff in there), has gelatinous cube harnesses/"saddles".

I think they mention herds.

Zardnaar

Legend
Cleric of Lolth animated a Bulette in 3.0 and she rode that. Book of vile Darkness yay.

More mundane mount was Clive an Elephant in 2E, they made barding for him, used stoneskin etc to keep him alive so Clive was stoneskinned, immune to fire, AC around -2 IIRC, and was often buffed as the priest had minor access to animal sphere.

The PCs wanted to invent an Elepult that fired Elephants with contingency on them (featherfall) but I said no. Priest ended up with an animal army in fantasy Africa.

Last edited:

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Blech. Fixed link.

I don't know why it's never occurred to me, but rhino seems like an exceptionally dwarfy steed. I could picture the lone dwarven cavalrymen among a troop of elephant riders.... "Sure she's low to the ground, but that's an advantage!"

drl2

Explorer
Not exactly a mount per se, but this weekend my daughter's dragonborn barbarian made a rope harness so she could carry a sheep (actually a wizard polymorphed into a sheep) around like it was in one of those front-mounted baby carriers. The sheep squirmed and protested a lot, but this solution did keep it from wandering off and getting into trouble again.

Remove ads