• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What 3 Settings did you pick in the Survey

What 3 Settings did you pick in the Survey

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • Ravnica

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Birthright

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Planescape

Votes: 52 32.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 32 19.9%
  • Mystara

Votes: 21 13.0%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • Darksun

Votes: 55 34.2%
  • Theros

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 38 23.6%
  • Home Brew

Votes: 85 52.8%
  • Eberron

Votes: 45 28.0%

Lyxen

Great Old One
I mean, FR has a bunch of popular novels under its belt, contains pretty much all the recognizable NPCs not named after original players or creators and has basically been the only setting WotC puts appreciable support behind for almost 20 years. And, while I hate its DC-comics like tendency to explode itself every few years, a lot of people appreciate the sense of progression that few of the other setting have.

Well, YMMV, but the novels are all pretty much crap from a literary perspective, the setting is progressing mostly through stealing ideas and integrating the cool things from other (better ?) settings and as a result is a huge mish-mash lacking any real soul, and a lot of people complain about the forced progression through various editions to explain the changes of the world through catastrophic events that destroy their beloved lore. :p

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Strategic voting. One may mostly run homebrew settings, but one may also want to support or encourage WotC to publish particular settings.
ah, a wise man who understands the madness of which I vote by.
myself dark sun, spell jammer, Mystara homebrew ma be where I play but it feeds of all books so I vote for what I might want to rip off or is a good idea.

Lyxen

Great Old One
As a pulp writer, I'm neither qualified nor inclined to judge or care about literary worth.
After 40+ years of reading fantasy and trying my hand at writing it myself, I think I have some appreciation as to what are good fantasy books and what are bad ones. But if you want more confirmation, just have a look at the reviews of most of these books...

Vaalingrade

Legend
After 40+ years of reading fantasy and trying my hand at writing it myself, I think I have some appreciation as to what are good fantasy books and what are bad ones. But if you want more confirmation, just have a look at the reviews of most of these books...
The worst one I read was the one with the stink dinosaur paladin whose existence I'm pretty sure is another setting's fault.

Stormonu

Legend
Strategic voting. One may mostly run homebrew settings, but one may also want to support or encourage WotC to publish particular settings.
I run a fair bit of homebrew worlds, but they borrow or were inspired by published settings (and/or novels - The Book of Swords was a huge influence on my primary homebrew).

I voted for Ravenloft, Dark Sun and Greyhawk. Though two of those have some 5E support now, I’d certainly like to see more - more Ravenloft adventures or deep delves into domains, and a 5E Greyhawk boxed set would be nice.

If they’d given us more options to choose in the survey, I would have also included Birthright, Spelljammer and Planescape. Out of all of the options, I’d most want a Spelljammer or Dark Sun 5E campaign set, Spelljammer if I can only pick one - preferably boxed (since those seem to slowly coming back into vogue again).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I picked Forgotten Realms as 95% of my campaigns have been run there since 1e, Dark Sun as it's one of my favorite concepts and I love psionics, and Planescape as I have loved the other planes since I first read about them in 1983 when I got my core 3 1e books. It was close between Dark Sun and Spelljammer, but I ultimately went with the psionics.

All this white people in native american inspired clothing really do not age well

That outfit looks more inspired by Victoria Secret then any Native American culture, I just don't see it. Look at the material her dress is made out of, it looks like red silk or satin. Really it's only the feather in her hair and honestly I'm betting that is common enough in ancient cultures globally.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads