Level Up (A5E) What A5E rules do you intend to import into an existing 5E campaign?

I am part-way through an O5E campaign (Red Hand of Doom, loving it!) at the moment, so I'm not in a position to just start a fully A5E game. As such, as I'm reading through the books, I'm thinking about what new rules and options I can easily import into an O5E campaign - ie. without requiring consequential changes. I'm also restricted by the fact our players are all using D&D Beyond character sheets, and we're playing online.

This is what I have so far:
  • MM monster substition is obvious and easy
  • Journey rules in the more wilderness-y areas will definitely get a test run, perhaps with some reworking of the outlander background into the equivalent of an exploration knack (supply won't be an issue though as the journey times aren't long)
  • Combat options like Press the Attack and Sprint should be straightforward to add (we don't have a barbarian, so no toes stepped on with PTA). We're already using the optional tactics like tumble, overrun and +2 flanking, or I'd add them to this list
  • The nerfs/fixes to OP higher level spells the PCs haven't got yet (like banishment, wall of force, etc) seem easy to add without any other considerations, and can be easily added as homebrew spells to Dnd Beyond
  • Interesting new magic items and spells can be added pretty straightforwardly
  • Then if a PC dies, I will likely offer the option of an A5E origin and/or class, although that will be MUCH harder to implement on Dnd Beyond, and I'll need to wind back to regular expertise somehow.
Any other things you suggest, noting these constraints?

What are you most looking forward to adding to your existing O5E campagn?

CubeB

Explorer
I'm running Zeitgeist 5e, but so far I've implented Destinies and the Magic Item list. If there are updated versions of creatures in the MM or the eventual Zeitgeist handbook, I might pull those out as well.

TheHand

Adventurer
I run 2 campaigns. One of them we'll be incorporating most of the new mechanics from Levelup. In my other group, the players prefer the more traditional game, but I'll probably be sneaking in Levelup monsters and maybe a journey or two.

Larnievc

Hero
I've let my players retool their characters if they like but one doesn't want to and that's fine (they are a champion and don't like crunch).

jadxq

Explorer
Definitely incorporating the monsters and certain spell changes immediately. Since I'm running two games now, I want to wait until I start up a new game before putting too many A5e player options before the group. I don't allow multiclassing or feats in my game (got tired of broken builds and OP feats), so I doubt I would use chapter 5 from the Adventurer's Guide--but I will consider giving the feats a go.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Monsters and the journey system for certain. After that, it depends on whether or not I can convince my players to let me run a full A5e game

Remove ads