• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are people doing with their 3.x colletions?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
If you get rid of it, you can no longer call it a collection and that would defeat the purpose. :D

jinnetics

Explorer
I've had a run of bad financial luck and I've had to sell most of my extensive 3.5 collection, including some that were gifts (I'm not proud of it). I kept my core books, and the deluxe versions of them, plus my FR and Eberron Campaign Settings, Red Hand of Doom, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. I intend to convert the adventures to 4E or run them as 3.5 come day...

I miss Monster Manual V the most....

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Admins, how do I go about giving my address, for those who would ship their books (that they were going to *throw away*) to me?
I cannot PM on this messageboard, remember.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Admins, how do I go about giving my address, for those who would ship their books (that they were going to *throw away*) to me?
I cannot PM on this messageboard, remember.

You could just give an email address and allow people to ask for your street address if it is necesary.

RFisher

Explorer
My god, I never realized that was an option!

It’s not. Don’t believe them.

I've had a run of bad financial luck and I've had to sell most of my extensive 3.5 collection, including some that were gifts (I'm not proud of it).

Sadly enough, when I thought I might have to declare backruptcy, I gave some thought to “giving” my RPG collection to a friend or family member to ensure it wouldn’t get liquidated.

(Though I don’t really have anything of any great value. Except maybe my early 1e D&DG.)

Jack99

Adventurer
I kept the core books (just in case I have to be a player in a 3.x campaign) and the books with lot of fluff. That would mostly be campaign settings (FR, Eberron, the Golarion books, The Freeport Guide, etc) but also stuff that is usable in any edition, like the medieval society books. I also kept the really good adventures, like DCC51, First Pathfinder series etc.

The rest I sold at my local gaming store.

Cheers

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
If they're being intentionally obtuse, why not just order directly from the source? You may not get any special discounts, but the publisher makes a significant percentage more on the purchase than they do if you buy it through a gaming store.

Show me a game store that not only carries but is knowledgeable enough to sell 3rd party stuff and I'll gladly give them my business. If their selection is lacking and they can't discuss stuff from these companies intelligently, I'll buy online with no regrets. I'm lucky that I have a very well rounded and knowledgeable FLGS locally, and I don't mind throwing them some cash from time to time. In fact, I was actually going to give Goodman's Castle Whiterock a miss because of the price, but when I found out the store had recently been robbed, I intentionally went there and bought their most expensive OGL product, which just happened to be Castle Whiterock.
I would buy online but I don't have a credit card and I really don't have the resources to afford to have one. I haven't looked into what you need to use PayPal but then again I've heard a lot of horror stories about PayPal.

The people who run the LGSs here in Edmonton aren't being obtuse, IMO; they just don't feel that they sell enough OGL books to risk stocking them anymore. That means I don't have the option to purchase some of the newer OGL products.

When the d20 Freeport Companion came out, they wouldn't bring it in because 4e was on the way. However, they will support Mutants & Masterminds because it "sells." They don't consider True20 to be a good seller, but they did go out of their way to try to get a few of the books for me.

In truth, three different stores are fighting for my business right now. Warp One (and Two), Whyte Knight, and Happy Harbour Comics. So far, it's quite the horse race.

Last edited:

Uruush

First Post
I sold my core books over a year ago, but I've held on to everything else; they're great idea fodder and I can covert the stuff to 4E pretty easily. All my Scarred Lands and Midnight stuff, the Book of the Righteous, etc. It's all wonderful and I'll never see 4E versions of them.

I've actually bought a lot of 3.X stuff recently since it's gotten so cheap. I'll probably pick up some Pathfinder too and convert it - it's nice stuff.

I'm not a packrat and get rid of things all the time but I've never understood getting rid of RPG collections. If it's in the way, put it in a box and put it in the basement! I absolutely treasure all my old Tunnels and Trolls and Melee/Wizard/ The Fantasy Trip stuff from the late 70s early 80s and shudder to think I might have tossed it out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads