• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are people doing with their 3.x colletions?

johnsemlak

First Post
Well, I've officially switched to 4e. I have the three corebooks and am reading them. My group plans to start a 4e campaign this fall, and we're off for the summer.

Given my limited game time at the moment, and the likely hood I"ll only be in one campaign at a time, it seems that at least as far as D&D is concerned I'll be in 4e for the long haul. We have played the Warhammer RPG recently and that may be in the future but otherwise it'll be 4e D&D.

Also, the move from 3rd to 4th edition was conveniently timed by those good folks at Wotc to coincide with my move to a bigger apartment. Thus, I've been assessing what to do with my overflowing D&D collection.

Frankly, I've got loads of 3e and d20 stuff that I never used, and never will use.

So what to do with all of it? My wife increasingly wants me to get rid of stuff (we have more space but somehow that hasn't changed her tone). Due to a heavy dose of purchasing in the early d20 era I have a large collection of stuff that frankly varies in quality considerably and is now edition-wise defunct.

I am trying to prioritize what I want to keep. I find it difficult to throw stuff away--I sort of wonder if something I have now might become some sought-after classic sometime in the future (I once had a massive 1e collection that got largely lost and I regret that). One of my impulses is to keep adventures that look good and might be able to be run fun in 4e. ANother is to keep setting material for settings I enjoy (I have collection of stuff for Kalamar, Scarred Lands, Aerth, and the Wilderlands, among others. But if I keep stuff like that I know I"ll be keeping loads of material most which I'll probably never even read.

What are other people doing in deciding what 3.x stuff to keep as the move to 4e?

racoffin

First Post
I'm expanding my collection as people move to 4E. The second hand market (online and at the LFGS) is allowing me to pick up copies of books I've wanted for a while at a pretty good discount, as well as replacement copies for worn out or damaged books. It's a good time if you are planning to stay with 3e or are only dabbling with 4E. ;)

johnnype

First Post
I've sold maybe a dozen books from my collection but it was a pain to do so and doubt I'll go that route again. Boxing and shipping is too much trouble to bother with for pennies on the dollar.

To answer your question I've decided to keep all the setting material and sell the rest to my local game shop ($2/hardback) or at the local con auction house. Which ever is more convenient when I get to it. For now most of the books are in my basement, collecting dust. The one good thing is that actually enjoy most of the setting material I purchased so that IMO is not wasted money at all. The crunch on the other hand...

I've actually held off on buying the new edition because part of me feels I might not ever get to it. I know I'll buy it someday soon but I'm in no rush. Too many good MMO's to play in the meantime.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Saving them for reference, maybe using them again when Pathfinder comes out, selling or tossing the books I did not use. Pretty much what I'm doing with the hundreds of other game books I have shoved away in my parent's computer room closet.

Crothian

First Post
I use it. :D

I have sold, given, and traded away quite a bit of the collection. The rest, still lots of it, are books that I'll pack up but will still occasionally use. Most the of the third edition stuff I've kept I'll be able to easily use in 4ed or 1ed. Luckily, converting between editions has never been a problem.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Even though I am not going to 4E and still use my books to play, my answer would still be keep them. I still have my 1E books, my Red Box, my 1e Champions, Dragon magazines going back to Issue 35. It doesn't matter if I use them or not, they are part of my history.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads