D&D General What are some of your favorite tier 4 D&D adventures?

DNDElise

DM's Guild and DriveThruRPG writer
What are some of your all time favorite tier 4 D&D adventures? (From any edition of D&D.) What makes that adventure great?

darjr

I crit!
I’ve run several AL ones. Been a part of Epics with tables at tier 4 that were fantastic too. When I get a chance I’ll track down names.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Age of Worms finale (3E, 20th), "Dawn of a New Age." Doesn't get much more epic than looking back at your 1st level selves entering a cairn in search of adventure and culminating with facing down one of the game's most iconic demi-god bad guys (after having taken down the original dracolich) to save the world.

Savage Tides finale (3E, 20th), "Prince of Demons." Same thing except you get to face down the Prince of Demons (and not the watered-down version in 5E) at the head of an alliance of demons that you all recruited (including some of the big names). Great finale with some fantastic ways it could go.

A Paladin in Hell (2E, 15-20). Heroic premise. Paladin's funeral and his temple is dragged to the Nine Hells, so the PCs must right this horrific wrong by commandeering a demonic ship to sail the River Styx right into the mouth of endless enemies. Great art, great challenge, good odds not everyone is going to make it back. I can't give this adventure enough good words, so someone else did.

It's really rare to get a campaign to this level, unless you skip ahead and begin at epic levels, and much of what makes most finale modules great is the culmination of your efforts. Obviously the adventure paths would be less special if you jumped in simply to battle Kyuss without having invested 1.5 years of your life into the story. "A Paladin in Hell" is pretty special for being stand-alone epic and all-around cool.

DNDElise

Age of Worms finale (3E, 20th), "Dawn of a New Age." Doesn't get much more epic than looking back at your 1st level selves entering a cairn in search of adventure and culminating with facing down one of the game's most iconic demi-god bad guys (after having taken down the original dracolich) to save the world.

Savage Tides finale (3E, 20th), "Prince of Demons." Same thing except you get to face down the Prince of Demons (and not the watered-down version in 5E) at the head of an alliance of demons that you all recruited (including some of the big names). Great finale with some fantastic ways it could go.

A Paladin in Hell (2E, 15-20). Heroic premise. Paladin's funeral and his temple is dragged to the Nine Hells, so the PCs must right this horrific wrong by commandeering a demonic ship to sail the River Styx right into the mouth of endless enemies. Great art, great challenge, good odds not everyone is going to make it back. I can't give this adventure enough good words, so someone else did.

It's really rare to get a campaign to this level, unless you skip ahead and begin at epic levels, and much of what makes most finale modules great is the culmination of your efforts. Obviously the adventure paths would be less special if you jumped in simply to battle Kyuss without having invested 1.5 years of your life into the story. "A Paladin in Hell" is pretty special for being stand-alone epic and all-around cool.
I haven't read these yet. They sound really cool. I will look these up! Thank you!

TheSword

Legend
Way of the Wicked keeps the tension up even at high levels. It was written for Pathfinder which is essentially 3e so easy to convert.

It is for evil parties.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I ran the following adventures as a sequel to Tyranny of Dragons:

Palace of the Red Pasha (level 16):

And the last five adventures of Scales of War, starting with Grasp of the Mantled Citadel. They were originally written for 4E and can be found in Dungeon magazine 171-175. A 5E conversion can is here:

DNDElise

The 2E Return to Tomb of Horrors boxed set was awesome, with the truly disturbing City of Moil.
The Night Below boxed set isn’t all tier four, but the latter part is. Great campaign.
Rappan Athuk....particularly if you go down the well!
Nice! I will look this one up!

DNDElise

I ran the following adventures as a sequel to Tyranny of Dragons:

Palace of the Red Pasha (level 16):

And the last five adventures of Scales of War, starting with Grasp of the Mantled Citadel. They were originally written for 4E and can be found in Dungeon magazine 171-175. A 5E conversion can is here:

Going to take advantage of the Christmas in July sale still going on this week on the DM's Guild to pick up some recommendations today! Thank you for sharing these!

pogre

Legend
My group enjoyed Finders Keepers by Janek Sielicki. It is an adventure for level 20 PCs with lots of discussion about why the designer made the choices he did. As with any high level adventure, you are going to need to do a few tweaks to fit your game, but it worked well for us. I wish there were more high level adventures like this.

Remove ads