Level Up (A5E) What are "Subtle Changes" in LU?

Stalker0

Legend
So obviously we have big changes....combat maneuvers, revamped classes, etc etc. But that's the obvious stuff, what are things you've noticed that are subtle, small.....easy to miss if your not paying attention.

To start us off: Somatic (now called Seen) components no longer require a free hand for a spellcaster. If the spell does not have a material component, you can cast it while tied up without issue.

Number 2: In LU, its Wisdom that is described for "logic". In O5e its Intelligence.

Last edited:

Two for me: glaives are not heavy, and quarterstaffs are not versatile. (I'm sure there are other little changes in the weapons, those two just came up in a thread about adepts).

VanguardHero

Adventurer
glaives are not heavy
I noticed this last night and it made me so happy :D Glaive Wielding Adept is one of my fave concepts, and that's possible RAW now. Speaking of Weapons, the addition of Saber as a Rapier equivalent slashing weapon I really love, as well as giving Bastard Sword Parrying. Makes it feel more useful as it's own thing and not just a worse Longsword.

CapnZapp

Legend
Number 2: In LU, its Wisdom that is described for "logic". In O5e its Intelligence.
What are the practical implications of this?

Are there any skills (feats, abilities etc) keyed to Wisdom that previously were keyed to Intelligence? What is left for Intelligence to govern (without "logic" and thus presumably deduction)?

Sincerely,
Z

MarkB

Legend

What are the practical implications of this?

Are there any skills (feats, abilities etc) keyed to Wisdom that previously were keyed to Intelligence? What is left for Intelligence to govern (without "logic" and thus presumably deduction)?

Sincerely,
Z
The text is a little contradictory. "Logic" is lumped under Wisdom in the brief ability score summaries on page 17, but is attributed to Intelligence in the more detailed descriptions of each ability in chapter 6.

CapnZapp

Legend
The text is a little contradictory. "Logic" is lumped under Wisdom in the brief ability score summaries on page 17, but is attributed to Intelligence in the more detailed descriptions of each ability in chapter 6.
Ah, so no actual change is likely intended.

(I mean, I get Stalker's enthusiasm and could see the change myself, but it would need actual mechanical change to support it)

Scribe

Legend
Warlocks get to choose their casting stat, which combines nicely with the spell point system they use and invocation variety, which makes them the most concept-flexible casters in the game.
Considering the various patron's and sources, this makes sense.

The feel is still a bit off for me, but thats not the fault of this work.

Remove ads