Level Up (A5E) What are "Subtle Changes" in LU?

noodohs

Explorer
Though LU states that drinking a potion is an action.... it also allows you to substitute a drink the potion action with your "Use an Object" ability on page 444. Aka, you can drink or administer one potion a round "for free"
I don't know about other people, but I could probably use some additional clarity on that point. The section on page 444 is describing the Use an Object action and saying if you are trying to drink a potion, which requires an action, you would use the Use an Object action, which is still an action (not an ability). But it also says you can interact with one object without using an action. So I am confused.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Though LU states that drinking a potion is an action.... it also allows you to substitute a drink the potion action with your "Use an Object" ability on page 444. Aka, you can drink or administer one potion a round "for free"
That is incorrect, you can interact with an item for free once per round. Interacting with an item are things like drawing your sword, picking up an object, ect.. If you want to actually use the object however, that is when you must take the use object action.
So you can grab a potion from your pouch as a free action but to drink it takes an action unless you have the rapid drink combat maneuver which cost 2 ep to use and let's you drink as abonus action.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I just noticed phantasmal force isn't here. Is this an SRD/OGL thing, or was there another reason for not including it?

Stalker0

Legend
That is incorrect, you can interact with an item for free once per round. Interacting with an item are things like drawing your sword, picking up an object, ect.. If you want to actually use the object however, that is when you must take the use object action.
So you can grab a potion from your pouch as a free action but to drink it takes an action unless you have the rapid drink combat maneuver which cost 2 ep to use and let's you drink as abonus action.
Rereading it I think you are right.

Legendweaver

Explorer
Here's a new one I found related to cover & stealth: pg. 451 says half and three-quarters now also grant their +2/+5 bonuses to "...ability checks made to hide," and unlike "lightly obscured," this bonus isn't specified to only affect perception checks involving sight. Full cover grants no stealth bonus, curiously. Note that many other references to cover in the rules only reference the usual +2 to AC and Dexterity saves, though, so it's possible this is a typo.

But if you take this RAW, you can't have glass or other transparent objects grant defensive cover without also granting stealth bonuses.

In addition, combined with the "Stealth and Hinding" text on pg. 411, I'm not sure the unmodified stealth check even exists any more: you must be "behind something (cover), obscured, invisible, or otherwise out of sight" to attempt to hide. With obscured and invisibility granting advantage, and cover granting +2/+5, I can't figure out a stealth situation in which you'd roll without at least one of these modifiers. And since the rules specificalyl specify that once you make a stealth roll, it "is used until you stop hiding" it's not like you'd start hiding in cover, move out of cover, and ever need to roll stealth again.

Seems like another place to ask for clarification...?

Here's a new one I found related to cover & stealth: pg. 451 says half and three-quarters now also grant their +2/+5 bonuses to "...ability checks made to hide," and unlike "lightly obscured," this bonus isn't specified to only affect perception checks involving sight. Full cover grants no stealth bonus, curiously. Note that many other references to cover in the rules only reference the usual +2 to AC and Dexterity saves, though, so it's possible this is a typo.

But if you take this RAW, you can't have glass or other transparent objects grant defensive cover without also granting stealth bonuses.

In addition, combined with the "Stealth and Hinding" text on pg. 411, I'm not sure the unmodified stealth check even exists any more: you must be "behind something (cover), obscured, invisible, or otherwise out of sight" to attempt to hide. With obscured and invisibility granting advantage, and cover granting +2/+5, I can't figure out a stealth situation in which you'd roll without at least one of these modifiers. And since the rules specificalyl specify that once you make a stealth roll, it "is used until you stop hiding" it's not like you'd start hiding in cover, move out of cover, and ever need to roll stealth again.

Seems like another place to ask for clarification...?
Yeah, I noticed some of that too. If partial cover grants a bonus, but full cover neither provides any bonus nor an auto-success…what’s going on?

Legendweaver

Explorer
...Wow, another big one I only just found: You now add your Con modifier (presumably positive or negative) to each hit die you roll at the end of a short rest. That's a huge change in the relative balance of Con against other attributes, and a huge bump in total HP resources for an average party.

Legendweaver

Explorer
...Also, sprint-kiting: given the rules of sprint that allow you to recover from previous rounds of sprinting in a single round as long as you don't sprint so long as to gain fatigue, combined with the speed differential between those in heavy armor and those not, there's now a built-in kiting mechanic for ranged attackers to infinitely avoid certain melee attackers while peppering them from a distance.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases