D&D 4E What are the 4E changes you like?

SaffroN

First Post
Level drain.: This is a good example of how they would rip out the bits of the game that are just not fun.
Point Build: Everyone is on the same playing field. No more feeling sub par.
Fixed HP: Can't Resist... I give in <happy dance, happy dance>. I always got filled with a feeling of dread whenever i had to roll HP. That feeling still haunts me. I don't wanna go back, ever.
1-1-1 Movement: Less stress, and just more neat
Vancian magic removed: Or should i say: "ripped out and pounded to dust". Goodbye to the 5 minute workday.
Healing Surges: If i had to pick between this and all the other new mechanics... I would pick the other mechanics. But they wouldn't win by much. You no longer need a healer...You no longer need a healer...You no longer need a healer...That will never get old.
Monsters: So many choices: Minions, Lurkers, Brutes, Soldiers, Controllers, Leaders, Skirmishers, Elites, Solos. easier to run. Can actually use them in groups now. They are just awesome. The monster stat blocks are just so simple elegant.
XP: Easy to work out. Easy to use. Effortless.
Simplified Combat:I can now grapple the troll (and not have to read through almost 2 pages of text).
Extended Combat:No more dropping enemies after a few rounds.
Powers: Fair and balanced. Everyone is on a level playing field and has something fun, interesting and useful to do... All the time!
Rituals: No more choosing between 'water breathing' and 'fireball'. You can have both!
Removal of gnomes:Ok, so they are not completely removed. They are still in the MM as a playable race, and I'm not about to restrict someone who wants to play a Gnome in my campaigns. I just don't like em'
DM preparation time reduced: not having to spend 3 days designing an adventure is a big bonus. I may be a step closer to achieving my dream: Running a whole session completly on the fly, with no prep time.

I love it all... No one try stop me

Jack99

Adventurer
MaelStorm said:
What I like:
What I don't like:
  1. The emphasis on the grid and minis.
  2. Waiting one year for more classes. (No Primal classes the Druid in particular plus just one class that fills the role of the controller).
  3. Not enough skills or options to flesh out characters.
  4. No animal companion in the PHB.

My hunch is that the druid and barbarian and bard will be available sooner than we think, via the DDI, as one of it's selling points. I realize that such a thing could possibly piss some people even more off, but hey, that's what I think will happen.

Cheers,

Stalker0

Legend
While I like the classes, I LOVE the monsters. They seem so unique, each one fights in such a different manner.

I love that zombies immobilize you and just swarm you...now that's scary!!

I love that kobold minions combine with regular kobold bonuses to give massive bonuses to attacks...you can't ignore those minions!!

pukunui

Legend
Jack99 said:
My hunch is that the druid and barbarian and bard will be available sooner than we think, via the DDI, as one of it's selling points. I realize that such a thing could possibly piss some people even more off, but hey, that's what I think will happen.

Cheers,
I think (and hope) you're right.

Didn't someone say that the bard was actually the first class they had finished? If so, I wonder why they chose to leave it out of the PHB ...

Cadfan

First Post
I love that first level looks playable. The thing that struck me the most about the DDXP characters is that each one looked like it had enough depth to actually justify playing at level 1 for a serious amount of time. In literally every previous edition level 1 has been, to me, a stepping stone to either skip completely, or rush through so that you can get some more hit points for the fighter, and a few more spells for the wizard. Its never been worth savoring, in particular because the longer you savor level 1, the more likely someone with a shortsword will roll max damage and kill your wizard.

I predict that in 4e, I will actually start campaigns at level 1, and have a good time, instead of leaping to level 3 immediately.

Ten

First Post
Cadfan said:
I love that first level looks playable. The thing that struck me the most about the DDXP characters is that each one looked like it had enough depth to actually justify playing at level 1 for a serious amount of time. In literally every previous edition level 1 has been, to me, a stepping stone to either skip completely, or rush through so that you can get some more hit points for the fighter, and a few more spells for the wizard. Its never been worth savoring, in particular because the longer you savor level 1, the more likely someone with a shortsword will roll max damage and kill your wizard.

I predict that in 4e, I will actually start campaigns at level 1, and have a good time, instead of leaping to level 3 immediately.

Of everything possible, this has to be my most favorite of all. I have always LOATHED level 1. The game at level was so radically different than, hell, even level 2 because of how things like the wizard could EASILY die in one strike, attack and AC wasn't very pretty, and how few options you had, especially casters. Being able to see a level 1 character and think to myself "Wow, I could enjoy playing that character without rushing to level up" is an absolutely enthralling concept to me.

Soel

First Post
I also like the tough 1st level characters with a lot of milage as far as combat goes.

I love the simplification of the monsters, adn especially my prep time as a dm looks to be a lot less heavy.

Question, though, I must've missed it, but how does the new turning undead work?

pukunui

Legend
Soel said:
Question, though, I must've missed it, but how does the new turning undead work?
Like this ...

Channel Divinity: Turn Undead Cleric Feature
You scar undead foes, push them back, and root them in place.
Encounter * Divine, Implement, Radiant
Special [You can only use one Channel Divinity power per encounter].
Standard Action Close Burst 2
Target Each undead creature in burst
Attack +4 vs. Will
Hit 1d10+4 radiant damage and you push the target 5 squares. The target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Miss Half damage and the target is not pushed or immobilized.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I ran a very short playtest on Saturday with a friend, and the fact that the Wizard "could just keep on doing stuff!" won hands-down in terms of positive impressions.

This from a player who abandoned playing ANY character with spell slots about 4 years ago. I think I can see him playing a 4e Wizard, now.

Remove ads