What are the best Goodman Dungeon Crawl Classics?

Remathilis

Legend
Good enough to port to another edition or gamesystem?

Yes.

Cage of Delirium is a ghost story that is fairly combat lite, very moody, and full of interesting NPCs. Its set in a ruined sanitarium and works for fantasy, victorian, or modern horror. (Lvl 6-8)

Forest of Lanterns is a Dungeonland style faerie tale. You're turned into a 8 year old kid trapped in a Hansel & Gretel style world of mischievous fey, wicked witches, and grubby trolls. It makes good use of the sizing and conversion rules in 3.5, but you could easily sub in appropriate monsters (since most are re-skins anyway). (Lvl 6-8) It has a gateway, so it can work in any setting.

Having run the former and played the latter, I give them both high, high marks.

Psion

Adventurer
For pure bang-for-the-buck, you pretty much have to get The Adventure Begins (DCC 29) and The Adventure Continues (DCC 48), which have 15 and 20 mini-adventures respectively.

Absolutely. Add Castle Whiterock and the Gazetteer. Everything after that is just frosting on the cake.

Incidentally, this topic has done the rounds before. See here for more insight:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...ames-dungeon-crawl-classics-so-ones-best.html
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/246188-best-goodmans-dcc-series-3-x.html

Shroomy

Adventurer
Yes.

Cage of Delirium is a ghost story that is fairly combat lite, very moody, and full of interesting NPCs. Its set in a ruined sanitarium and works for fantasy, victorian, or modern horror. (Lvl 6-8)

To add to Remathilis's comments, when I was reading it, I thought that the adventure would be perfect for Ravenloft and Call of Cthulhu.

Noumenon

First Post

Forest of Lanterns is a Dungeonland style faerie tale. You're turned into a 8 year old kid trapped in a Hansel & Gretel style world of mischievous fey, wicked witches, and grubby trolls.

Wow, you can see the usefulness of reviews over recommendations here. I would have bought them before, but now I don't think I have the skill to run them or the group to enjoy them. Sorry that your recommendations had the opposite effect on me!

Noumenon

First Post
I went back through the other two threads Psion linked to and added up the recommendations. I am too tired to add this thread in.

Keeping in mind that one person said "I would recommend #5 Aerie of the Crow God to a fan of DCCs. I wouldn't recommend DCCs at all to a gamer about whose taste I know nothing," here are the DCCs ranked by number of recommendations:

9:
34 cage of delirium (haunted house)

7:
5 aerie of the crow god
29 adventure begins (1st level adventures anthology)

4:
crypt of the devil lich
50 vault of the iron overlord
adventure continues (anthology)
51 castle whiterock (huge megadungeon) (includes monte cook's recommendation)

3:
11 dragon fiend pact
Anything by the author Harley Stroh

2:
legacy of the savage kings
, sunken ziggurat (unique monsters),
31 transmuter's last touch
talons of the horned king (scifi),
51.5 Sinister secret of whiterock
0 legends are made not born
15 lost tomb of the sphinx queen (boss battles)

1:
revenge of the rat king
idylls of the rat king
vault of the dragon kings
palace in the wastes
chronicle of the fiend
halls of the minotaur
secret of smuggler's cove
16 curse of the emerald cobra
12 the blackguard's revenge
12.5 iron crypt of the heretics

0:
mysterious tower (puzzles) (one positive, one negative)

-1:
bloody jack's gold (one positive, two negative)
legend of the ripper (one negative)

One person suggested,

I think the ideal 3.5 campaign would be:
#28 Into the Wilds
#3 The Mysterious Tower
#7 The Secret of Smugglers Cove
#10 The Sunless Garden
#5 Aerie of the Crow God
#30 Vault of the Dragon Kings

and the adventures are sorted for party level here.

Pinotage

Explorer
Castle Whiterock is a must buy. It's one of my favorites, and probably one of the best. A huge mega dungeon that does not disappoint.

Pinotage

Explorer
Monte Cook's post alerted me that all these PDFs would be $5 until the 31st and then gone forever. He also said, "This is what the World's Largest Dungeon should have been." Do you agree? And do you think it would be feasible to run an adventure that large out of a PDF?

Yes and Yes. It's very well sectioned into different regions, making it really easy to find what you're looking for and keeping the rest to one side. And because it's pdf, you can just cut and paste and use what you need at any given time. Castle Whiterock is by far the best mega dungeon out there. IMO and all that, of course.

Remove ads