D&D 5E What are the Hit-Die of the Sidekick Classes from Tasha's?

Slit518

Adventurer
So, looking through Tasha's Guide there is a section for Sidekick Classes.

However, in this section it does not tell us the Hit-Die each Sidekick Class has. The book states it will be listed on the Sidekick stat block, and looking at each Class I do not see any HIt-Die.

Am I to assume that the Hit-Die follow this formula?
Spellcaster d6
Expert d8
Warrior d10

Should they be a die grade lower?
Spellcaster d4
Expert d6
Warrior d8

Or is it dependent on creature (not every creature has a HIt-Die)?

Like how would you make a Human Sidekick vs an Ogre Sidekick for example?

I
So, looking through Tasha's Guide there is a section for Sidekick Classes.

However, in this section it does not tell us the Hit-Die each Sidekick Class has. The book states it will be listed on the Sidekick stat block, and looking at each Class I do not see any HIt-Die.

Am I to assume that the Hit-Die follow this formula?
Spellcaster d6
Expert d8
Warrior d10

Should they be a die grade lower?
Spellcaster d4
Expert d6
Warrior d8

Or is it dependent on creature (not every creature has a HIt-Die)?

Like how would you make a Human Sidekick vs an Ogre Sidekick for example?
I believe it is based on their base stat block and ever creature has a hit die - it’s based on size.

Slit518

Adventurer
I believe it is based on their base stat block and ever creature has a hit die - it’s based on size.

That is my understanding of it, but it seems weird to me.

A Halfling for example as a Warrior would have 6 HP at level 1, but also have 6 HP as an Expert, or a Spellcaster.

While a Human Spellcaster would have 8 HP.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That is my understanding of it, but it seems weird to me.

A Halfling for example as a Warrior would have 6 HP at level 1, but also have 6 HP as an Expert, or a Spellcaster.

While a Human Spellcaster would have 8 HP.
That’s correct. That’s how it works for all NPCs/monsters, be they sidekicks or not.

Slit518

Adventurer
That’s correct. That’s how it works for all NPCs/monsters, be they sidekicks or not.

To clarify, if a Medium Creature has 2d8 Hit Points, would their level 1 be 2d8? Or would the Medium Creature's Hit-Die of 1d8 replace any starting Hit-Die/Dice?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To clarify, if a Medium Creature has 2d8 Hit Points, would their level 1 be 2d8? Or would the Medium Creature's Hit-Die of 1d8 replace any starting Hit-Die/Dice?
You start with the base NPC/monster stat block, and add one of that creature’s hit dice every time it gains a level in a sidekick class. So, for example, a Guard has 2d8 hit dice (typically; a halfling or other small race guard should have 2d6). If that guard gains a level in a Sidekick class, they gain an additional hit die, so +1d8 = 3d8 (or d6s if the guard is small).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You start with the base NPC/monster stat block, and add one of that creature’s hit dice every time it gains a level in a sidekick class. So, for example, a Guard has 2d8 hit dice (typically; a halfling or other small race guard should have 2d6). If that guard gains a level in a Sidekick class, they gain an additional hit die, so +1d8 = 3d8 (or d6s if the guard is small).

I agree, with the caveat that assigning the 1st level is not "gaining".

Remove ads