D&D 5E What are the more interesting 5e settings?

Dire Bare

Legend
I’d strongly recommend if you want to do that, just take the plunge and play The One Ring. It’s much more suited to the setting than D&D is.

I've heard nothing but good things about "The One Ring", but AiME exists for a reason. Some of us are pleased as punch to marry the chocolate of Middle-Earth with the peanut-butter of D&D. D&D is derived/inspired in many ways by Lord of the Rings, so bringing the two together just feels good to me. Also, some gaming groups are hesitant to step away from D&D to another game system, and games like AiME are "gateways" to trick your players into pushing their comfort zones a bit (and by "trick", I mean with full knowledge and consent of your players).

There's also some good stuff that's very steal-able from AiME for your more "traditional" D&D game. It handles overland travel better, IMHO.

CapnZapp

Legend
I've heard nothing but good things about "The One Ring", but AiME exists for a reason. Some of us are pleased as punch to marry the chocolate of Middle-Earth with the peanut-butter of D&D. D&D is derived/inspired in many ways by Lord of the Rings, so bringing the two together just feels good to me.
Sure.

As long as you're aware the levels and hit points and magic-as-tools of D&D mean you can never come close to anything resembling the feeling of a true LOTR experience. For that you need a completely different game engine.

Does this mean I'm shilling for TOR? Nope. While it is the obvious choice in this instance, all I'm saying right now, is you ought to try out a game without levels and without "toolbox spells" - it really is a whole nother experience!

dave2008

Legend
As long as you're aware the levels and hit points and magic-as-tools of D&D mean you can never come close to anything resembling the feeling of a true LOTR experience. For that you need a completely different game engine.

I thought AIME got rid of most spellcasting? I'm talking about the classes supplied with it of course (which is what I would use if we were to play it)

dave2008

Legend
Settings from WotC:
CoS (AKA Ravenloft)
Ravinica
Eberron

All 3 have official 5e support and even more support on DMs Guild

3PP settings:
AIME (Middle Earth)
Primeval Thule (sword & sorcery)
Midgard (dark fantasy)
Tal-Dorei (critical setting - I think)
Arcanis (greek/ancient world inspired I think)
Scarred Lands (sword & sorcery w/ geek myth inspiration)
Aihrde (fantasy)

And there are more

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've heard nothing but good things about "The One Ring", but AiME exists for a reason. Some of us are pleased as punch to marry the chocolate of Middle-Earth with the peanut-butter of D&D. D&D is derived/inspired in many ways by Lord of the Rings, so bringing the two together just feels good to me. Also, some gaming groups are hesitant to step away from D&D to another game system, and games like AiME are "gateways" to trick your players into pushing their comfort zones a bit (and by "trick", I mean with full knowledge and consent of your players).

There's also some good stuff that's very steal-able from AiME for your more "traditional" D&D game. It handles overland travel better, IMHO.

Heh, yeah, I'm acutely aware that many people will only play D&D. That doesn’t change my recommendation, though . :)

Last edited:

Ringtail

World Traveller
If you want to step into 3rd Party, Kobold Press' Midgard is very good, with several high quality books in print and PDF. World Book, Player Options, Monsters, and Adventures.

Short version is Midgard is similar to many European Nations from around the renaissance era, with a heavy dose of myth made real. (For example, the world IS flat and bounded by the World Serpent.) Analogues include the Italian City States (Seven Cities), Ancient Egypt (Nuria Natal), The Holy Roman Empire (Grand Duchy of Dornig), Mongolian Steppe (Rothenian Plain) and Viking Scandinavia (The Northlands.) There are others but you get the idea. I find it similar to Warhammer's The Old World in many respects.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases