D&D 5E What are the Most Useless Combinations in D&D 5e?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
. Frenzy is equivalent to merely dual-wielding, but comes with a nasty penalty every time you use it, and Intimidating Presence is shockingly weak, especially since it eats your action every round just to maintain it.
The "real" use of frenzy is being able to weaponize your bonus action with your main weapon - and if you are using a 2handed weapon that bonus action can be a really big wallop. But the penalty is so severe that it's a "once per day" power.

I hadn't realize how limited intimidating presence was though... dang.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The "real" use of frenzy is being able to weaponize your bonus action with your main weapon - and if you are using a 2handed weapon that bonus action can be a really big wallop. But the penalty is so severe that it's a "once per day" power.

On Frenzy: That's fair, but that still seems pretty weak. Especially since it's pretty much the defining "active thing you do" as a Berserker. Imagine if they'd done something like that with Champion, where you only got your special damage bonus or the like once per day!

As for the other...yeah. It's a neat idea, but it's really not that good. It's also unclear whether "extending this effect" means the target gets another save (which would make it nearly worthless, but consistent with other effects of this kind) or not.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

Its pretty weak. I'd go with a feature where you can never roll an Intimidation check lower than your STR score while raging. Or just a 1 turn frightened condition for enemies within 10 ft when you down an enemy or enter Frenzy.

As for frenzy, during the playtest, the extra attack from frenzy was a free action, and you took 5 necrotic damage (cant be reduced in any way) each time you use that extra attack.

I'd maybe go with something like the Invoker's Overchannel ability: One Frenzy per day is free, the next one cost 2d12 HP and reduces you max HP by the same amount. Any extra uses cost an extra 1d12 hp.

Remove ads