• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are we all reading?

KChagga

First Post
Originally posted by dagger
Can anyone recommend a fantasy book with lots of armies fighting it out?

The Runelords series by David Farland. These books are crammed full of armies duking it out. You have everything from rune pumped up superhumans, elemental wizards, and frowth giants to the almost tanklike bug race of the reavers. I thought these books are great so far. Impatiently waiting for book 4 to be released. The reavers dont come into the series until book 2. The books are in order so far Runelords(The Sum of All Men), Brotherhood of the Wolf, Wizardborn.

Currently I am just about to start the Lord of the Isles series by David Drake. I just finished reading the first three novels in the Sector General series

Corinth

First Post
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen II begins this month in the U.S., and damned if it wasn't both predictable and still filled with all of the excitement that I crave from a good D&D campaign.

Sulimo

First Post
Corinth said:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen II begins this month in the U.S., and damned if it wasn't both predictable and still filled with all of the excitement that I crave from a good D&D campaign.

Thats good to hear (that you liked it). I'm waiting to get the HC collection to sit alongside Volume I :)

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
Lords of Valour an anthology of stories from GW set in the Warhammer Universe. Having a blast. It's quite fun.

ghettognome

First Post
In response to some books with lots of fighting, I don't remember correctly how much was in it, but there were some very well done battles. It is a series of books by Mickey Zucher Reichert (I hope I spelled the name right). The first book is called Last of the Renshai. The Renshai were great warriors, who could do things with a sword that few could even come close. The author bases the religion system on the Norse gods, and it is a very low magic world where there are only 4 cardinal wizards (2 neutral, one good, and one evil) each has an apprentice. I didn't think I would like the series (being a huge dragonlance fan and all) and I found that I really liked the books. Just thought I would toss that recommendation out to people. :)

Miho

First Post
Book wise I've just finished Bladerunner and Along came a spider, and I'm just starting Animal Farm.

Comic wise I'm trying to get back into Spawn after a break of a few years, and Hell and Back which is one of the Sin City series.

[Sigh] I always seem to have a huge pile of books waiting to be read and not enough time to read them all.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Let's see ... I just finished reading The Snow Queen, by Joan D. Vinge, which I REALLY liked.

Now, I have two piles of books - one bought new and one used, and I alternate back and forth between them. Right now, it's time for a new book, so I am reading Robert Jordan's 'Eye of the World', which I bought when I bought the RPG. Next after that, it's an Anne Perry mystery, The Cater Street Hangman.

Speaking of books, has anyone participated in something called Bookcrossing? I heard about this on Tech TV yesterday. People leave books they really enjoyed all over the world in a scavenger hunt/honor system to share what they have read with strangers all over.

It sounds neat, though there doesn't seem to be any entries for my corner of the world. Still, it's global, and seems pretty neat. Check it out at bookcrossing.com!

Miho

First Post
Wow, what a fantastic idea bookcrossing.com is!

Thanks for the link - I'll definately try it. What a good way to pass on all the books I never seem to part with. I recommend others check it out too! :)

reddist

First Post
dagger said:
Can anyone recommend a fantasy book with lots of armies fighting it out?

The Gaunt's Ghosts books by Dan Abnet are nothing but armies shooting the crap out of each other. They are set in the WH 40K world, and there is oodles and oodles of things to kill or blow up. The Gaunt's Ghosts books I like far better than the Last Chancer's series. Kinda brainless, but full of SF military jargon and action.

-Reddist

Remove ads