• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are we all reading?

theburningman

First Post
In a futile attempt to catch up on the 100+ unread books on my selves, I'm reading 5 books at the same time. I'm reading the first chapter in each book, then the second, third, etc. It's working pretty good so far, since I've read about 900 pages in 3 days (putting me at Chapter 7 of each book). Usually it takes me at least 9 or 10 days to get that amount in. I was worried about getting the plotlines confused, but it's not been a problem.

The five books are:
The Ring of Five Dragons by Eric Van Lustbader, a fantasy novel; pretty good so far
Into the Darkness by Harry Turtledove, a novel that creates a conflict similar to WWII on a fantasy world; the premise intrigued me, but the execution is a little lacking so far (and I'm usually a fan of Turtledove's work)
The Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Woodring Stover, a very original (to me anyway) fantasy/science fiction novel; I highly recommend it
Dead Sleep by Greg Iles, a contemporary thriller, also highly recommended; this guy is one of the best suspense writers out there
Kingdom of Midnight by Josie Litton; I blush to admit this is a romance novel; my wife said I should read it (uh huh, sure) because it has fantasy elements in it (a fantasy kingdom, a character that can see into the future, etc.), and I try not to be prejudiced against any form of literature; it's actually pretty good (okay, just pants me now and get it over with)

Sidran

First Post
Um lets see Fishermans Hope by Dave Feintuch Good Hornblower in space series.

Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon first in a series that wipes all other fantasy into the trash bin.

Swords and Deviltry by Fritz Leiber Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser Huzzah.

And Lastly (besides my stolen hours reading Star Wars novels)
Desolation Island by Patrick O'Brien famous Aubrey/Maturin Novels set in the British navy during the Age of Nelson

Purple

First Post
Right now, I'm reading the Colonization series (just finished the first book again) by Harry Turtledove. This is a sequal series to his WorldWar series, which has aliens invade Earth during World War II. I read the first series and the first book of Colonization a few years, but he recently (within the last year, I think) finished the last book, so I've re-read them to remember what happened.

I'm also working on Ship of Magic (I think), the first book of the series by Robin Hobb. I enjoyed the Assassin series by the same author, so I'm trying to read this.

I'm also trying to read Fellowship of the Ring, but keep becoming more interrested in other books and cannot get into it.

-Purple

A2Z

Explorer
I'm reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Great book! After that I'm going to read the sequal, The Scar.

Prince Atom

Explorer
I'm currently trying to read the FR novel Azure Bonds, which I found at a used book store and just couldn't resist (it was a moment of weakness :D ).

I'm having trouble since GURPS Prime Directive just barged its way into my life, and this month's Spider-Man titles just arrived.

Someone's trying to make a chump out of Dr Octopus -- this can only end in tears.

Someone mentioned Essential Wolverine I -- I don't know, I liked the stories by Peter David, but the last story arc in the book was a little tiresome and I'm not sure I'm particularly fond of Logan's brand of noir comics.

TWK
"Having read GURPS Prime Directive, I shall now proceed to nitpick each page, starting with that awful Enterprise knockoff on the cover."

Bass Puppet

First Post
Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon first in a series that wipes all other fantasy into the trash bin.

Great Book by the way. Destiny (second book) is also very good and picks up right after the Rhapsody.

As for myself, I am reading Temple of the Winds by Terry Goodkind.

Next is Dragons of a Vanishing Moon.

Last edited:

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
I have several books on my now-reading list...

Deryni Archives and Deryni Magic, both by Katherine Kurtz. I'm reading them to refresh my memory, then I'll start reading her 13 Deryni novels in chronological order. (I'm also reading them to get a better sense of the psionics in the hopes of adding something to an upcoming RPG).

Fellowship of the Ring. Never read it before, and picked it up before the movie came out. It's really tough going, and I'm only now to the point where they're about to head for Moria. All in all, a decent book, but I think the movie did parts of it better. I skipped ahead to read about Boromir's departure, and the movie did it much better, IMO.

I'm also reading the first book of the Wheel of Time series, though I'm only about 100 or so pages into it, and I'm not really that interested in any of the characters yet.

Other than that, I'm also reading/'researching the five Strange New Worlds anthologies of Star Trek short stories since I'm writing stories for submission to this year's contest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads