Level Up (A5E) What are we doing with fatigue and strife?

Stalker0

Legend
All true, but you also need to avoid a death spiral.....
Levelup has noted in another supplement, is that the effects of fatigue and strife only take place after the encounter they are accrued. So there is no death spiral, you start an encounter with the penalties you are going to have, and those will be your penalties for the rest of the fight regardless of how much additional fatigue or strife you accumulate.

That to me also includes "doomed". Even if you hit that level 6, you don't die in the fight, you heroically battle to the bitter end. Only once the fight ends, do you have your cinematic death. Or hell if a DM wants to be really cinematic, they could have the character continue until the end of the given adventure....but with the knowledge that they are going to die....which could be pretty cool.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Levelup has noted in another supplement, is that the effects of fatigue and strife only take place after the encounter they are accrued. So there is no death spiral, you start an encounter with the penalties you are going to have, and those will be your penalties for the rest of the fight regardless of how much additional fatigue or strife you accumulate.

That to me also includes "doomed". Even if you hit that level 6, you don't die in the fight, you heroically battle to the bitter end. Only once the fight ends, do you have your cinematic death. Or hell if a DM wants to be really cinematic, they could have the character continue until the end of the given adventure....but with the knowledge that they are going to die....which could be pretty cool.
I had forgotten that part in the first paragraph!

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
@Stalker0 @Zaukrie

Reading that portion of the Combat Document... Yes and no.

You gain fatigue in combat from Crits and being downed as a way to show that you're seriously injured. THOSE stacks of Fatigue don't show up 'til after the fight is over.

But other sources apply normally, even when you're in combat. What are other sources? I dunno! We'll have to wait to see the full book. But if someone were to Sprint on their turn for multiple turns in a combat encounter and gain a level of Fatigue it would apply normally, not at the end of the fight (Thus keeping them from sprinting).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'm curious.....how many things cause fatigue or strife? If not many, I'd keep the rules simple, as they get used infrequently they are hard to recall. If often, I'd make them more interesting (like the die above). However, one thing 5e has taught us is the simple is good for attracting players (I think it has taught us that).....personally, I would love the die mechanic above, but I can see others will think it is too fiddly and a simple table like you have is better.
Wrt remembering what less frequently used things impose can be made easier with relative ease by adding a popup detailing it to the character sheet when someone clicks the trigger(ie a button or whatever). It may not help with a printed sheet but one person at the tableusing a pdf that does it helps
1623705490648.png

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Wrt remembering what less frequently used things impose can be made easier with relative ease by adding a popup detailing it to the character sheet when someone clicks the trigger(ie a button or whatever). It may not help with a printed sheet but one person at the tableusing a pdf that does it helps
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Not being able to easily use DNDBEYOND with this is my biggest fear for why I won't actually use it much, but just read it......

Faolyn

(she/her)
For what it's worth: In the Combat Maneuvers packet only Focus Foe seems to require concentration (despite their being a 5th-tier maneuver that helps you maintain concentration). The Warlord ability Operations Leader seems to require concentration (but it doesn't say "as if concentrating on a spell"). Bardic Hymns require concentration up until 4th level. And I think those might be the only non-spell concentration things out there. I'm probably missing some, though.

Stalker0

Legend
But other sources apply normally, even when you're in combat. What are other sources? I dunno! We'll have to wait to see the full book. But if someone were to Sprint on their turn for multiple turns in a combat encounter and gain a level of Fatigue it would apply normally, not at the end of the fight (Thus keeping them from sprinting).
I now quote from the current combat mechanics packet, under the Fatigue section.

"The effects of fatigue gained during combat are only felt after the encounter in which they were inflicted has ended."

So this suggests that all sources of fatigue, regardless of how they are accrued, are not felt until after the fight. The sprint section says nothing to contridict this, you gain fatigue...and so it falls under "fatigued gained during combat". The only exception for sprint is how quickly you can recover from it.

As of right now, a person that gained fatigued from sprinting could sprint during that combat all they wanted. Only at the end of the combat would they feel the effects.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I now quote from the current combat mechanics packet, under the Fatigue section.

"The effects of fatigue gained during combat are only felt after the encounter in which they were inflicted has ended."

So this suggests that all sources of fatigue, regardless of how they are accrued, are not felt until after the fight. The sprint section says nothing to contridict this, you gain fatigue...and so it falls under "fatigued gained during combat". The only exception for sprint is how quickly you can recover from it.

As of right now, a person that gained fatigued from sprinting could sprint during that combat all they wanted. Only at the end of the combat would they feel the effects.
That's one part of the section. There's a line before and a line after that which put it into context:

"Sometimes during an encounter, a creature will gain an injury representing a serious wound. This is represented by fatigue."
"During the heat of battle it is easy to fight on without realizing the extent of your injuries."

Not the extent of your Tiredness. Not the extent of your Fatigue. The Injuries that are only being -represented- as Fatigue.

Taken in context, especially since there are 6 levels of Fatigue before Doomed on the standard track and only 4 levels of fatigue before Doomed on the Suffering track, it only applies to Suffering Fatigue. Not general fatigue, but fatigue -caused- by Suffering.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Not being able to easily use DNDBEYOND with this is my biggest fear for why I won't actually use it much, but just read it......
D&D Beyond is a moneysink capitalizing on 5e's neutered OGL by rendering the game actively difficult to play on other VTTs. From the Licensing article that went up it sounds like LU is going to have a more open OGL, at least I severely hope it is. Only having to buy LU content once and, say, a Foundry VTT license once, you end up saving money once you're two books in.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
D&D Beyond is a moneysink capitalizing on 5e's neutered OGL by rendering the game actively difficult to play on other VTTs. From the Licensing article that went up it sounds like LU is going to have a more open OGL, at least I severely hope it is. Only having to buy LU content once and, say, a Foundry VTT license once, you end up saving money once you're two books in.
Or, use beyond20 with almost any VTT...... Which is helpful if you play in multiple groups and sometimes in person.

Remove ads