What are we forgetting to remember?

Today I talk about a question for which I have not landed on an answer: Does the convenience of digital storage cause a loss in nostalgia? And is that loss worth the convenience?

Over the weekend I got a Facebook friend request from a friend I hadn’t seen in over 20 years. Turned out that we both still lived locally so we got together and had lunch yesterday. Even after two decades I found we conversed easily. It was great to catch up, talk about how our lives had progressed, and chat some about those halcyon days of yesteryear.

Nostalgia is one of those funny feelings that I find hard to describe. It’s this weird, bittersweet sensation that hovers between “good times” and “I can never go back there again.” Still, I guess it provides a sense of perspective on how far I’ve come since then, and I’m all about having perspective.

I’m kind of a packrat by nature and have to force myself to purge stuff on occasion. This keeps me from becoming a full-on hoarder and it also frees space so I can collect other stuff. My packrat urges also motivate me to create new and interesting places to store stuff like a screen porch attic, secret room, and treehouse. I may have a bit of a problem…

Anyway, one of the things I’ve chosen to hold onto is a bunch of my old gaming stuff. I don’t just mean game manuals and copies of Dragon Magazine. I’ve got at least a ream of old character sheets, dungeon maps, grandiose campaign plans, and pages upon pages of homemade rules and monster stats. Several folders and binders worth of stuff.

A certain amount of this is junk I should probably toss. But it doesn’t take up too much room in the grand scheme of things, and every time I crack open one of those binders and see my juvenile scrawl listing out stats and inventory for some bygone Half-Elf Fighter-Thief, it makes me smile. I’ve been in this hobby for a very long time and traipsing along memory lane for a few minutes is time well spent.

Nowadays I’m generating more gaming content on my computer than on paper, and I’m wondering if this is ultimately a good thing or not. There are unquestionably benefits to this method, not the least of which is that neither I nor anybody else needs to read my terrible handwriting. I type much faster than I can write by hand anyway, and I can send such content out to my players or other GMs I know with naught but a quick Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. This is a giant step forward, right?

On the other hand, I’m not sure if I’ve ever felt nostalgia from staring at a computer screen. Something about the flat display of words on a screen fails to grab that sentimental part of my brain the way a wrinkled old sheet of notebook paper does. Maybe it has to do with engaging more of the senses, but it just isn’t the same for me.

And that’s to say nothing of the fact that digital storage isn’t something I’m going to typically stumble across like I do with a physical folder stuffed full of papers. When I delve into my game closet looking for that old copy of The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, to steal the maps for the upteenth time, I’ll pick up one of those folders and take a moment (or half an hour) to thumb through it and see Badder the Dwarf. He’s the character my sister made for a solo Basic D&D game I ran when I was 11 and she was 8. Also I’m pretty sure she meant his name to be “Badger,” but she wasn’t that great at spelling at the age of 8.

This is an experience I’m probably not going to have 20 or 30 years from now looking back on the notes for my 13th Age game because I’m throwing them into a Google Drive document, and I won’t accidentally run across them reaching for something else. On the other hand I know that if I DID want to go look them up, it would be infinitely easier to do in the form of a document stored “in the cloud” rather than a document stored “in some folder in my basement closet.”

I think we see this happening even significantly to our photos. I know very few people shooting pictures on film anymore. All of the physical photos we’ve got around here are ones that were taken more than a decade ago. Everything since is sitting on a hard drive or backed up onto a DVD. How often do I go browse through those old photos? Pretty much never.

I tend to live in the moment more than I spend time trying to take pictures of everything. But this trend still has me puzzled about how to preserve the memories I want to keep. I know for sure that digital is a more reliable, space-saving, efficient means of keeping them. But what happens when I carefully keep memories and then forget to go back and look at them?

How are you storing your stuff? Do you revisit those old pictures, and gaming materials? Does looking at them on a computer feel like something is lost in translation?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, certainly for myself, that applies 100% to music. I just don't have any kind of connection with it. I really think that it's the digital nature of it and ease of access; it's no longer special. Stumbling across an old record, cassette, or CD -- that's different.

Objects have value, for sure.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How are you storing your stuff? Do you revisit those old pictures, and gaming materials? Does looking at them on a computer feel like something is lost in translation?

This is my gaming man-cave. There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

Besides the obvious, there a folders and other organizers containing tons of PCs, NPCs, and adventures & campaigns from 30+ years of gaming, covering @100 RPG systems...and homemade additions to games like Star Fleet Battles and whatnot. Most of it is handwritten, but some things were done on my Apple IIe or one of my Macs.

All of it has value to me, and I do sometimes go looking at it just to reminisce.

Over the past 10 years, though, almost all of my homemade gaming output has been done on a Palm Tungsten, an iPod Touch or iPad2. Almost none of it exists as hardcopy. OTOH, those files are almost always within arms reach. I can't say they have the same ability to reach the emotional centers of the brain as a piece of stained paper with teenage scrawl on it, but it is no less stimulative of my creative impulses...and because I, too, have reeeeeally bad handwriting, it is often much more USEFUL.

sheadunne

Explorer
A few minutes ago I was just browsing through my PDF collection and looking through the old X modules. I came across Lathan's Gold, which I remember running for myself many times when we were moving between locations (military brat). It brought back some good memories, mostly remember by the images. My nostalgia for gaming experience comes from the art work associated with the book attached to it. I can google Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, and others and remember a particular time in my gaming life. I get zero emotion or remembrance from a character sheet, game notes, etc, which is probably why I had no trouble switching to digital when it became easy to do so. I can certainly appreciate those that need the tactile sensation to bring back the memories.

Janx

Hero
I do get what Rel is saying. All this digital media takes up zero space. It's easy to NOT notice it.

It lacks physical presence and thus has a lower chance of triggering that nostalgia feeling.

On the other hand, I assume video gamers are able to get some of that feeling when they play old video games. Which are primarily virtual objects.

I think a related question is, do you take care of your stuff?

Does it hold value to you for more than its immediate usefulness?

Or if you break it, is it no big deal because you'll just buy a new one?

I write this in the light of a florescent desk lamp that is probably more than 50 years old. I've had it for at least 30 of those years and I've never changed the bulb.

I think there's something to be said for old things.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I do get what Rel is saying. All this digital media takes up zero space. It's easy to NOT notice it.

It lacks physical presence and thus has a lower chance of triggering that nostalgia feeling.

One thing about items with a physical presence, different senses can interact with them, triggering different memories and deepening the connection to the object. The feel of the cover, the crinkle of the pages, and the spell of the paper. Those may change a bit over time as the materials age and perhaps a bit of basement dampness seeps in, but you've still got more tools connecting you to the item than just your eyes. And if smell is involved, they say scent can trigger the deepest emotional responses.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer

For about a decade I lived between two countries - Australia and Singapore - and so had things scattered between the two locations. I made a concerted effort about five years ago to try and centralise as much stuff as possible... which worked out well because two years ago my wife and I moved to the Philippines.

One of the really big differences with Philippine culture compared to any other culture I am familiar with (not just Western culture) is that everything here gets destroyed really quickly. Things simply aren't valued; even old photos become origami in the hands of (unsupervised) children.

As a result, before I moved all my gaming supplies and other books here I built an extra building as part of our compound. I've got about 70 linear metres of shelving lining the walls and I have all of my gaming books and miniatures nicely sorted and ready for use. And, of course, nobody else is allowed in here without me and I have the only keys.

Having this "man-cave" with such easy access to all my old stuff - with so much shelving I have plenty of storage space - is perfect for reminiscing and revisiting old stuff. I enjoy doing it, but I also have everything as PDFs and enjoy simply reading old adventures and whatnot on my tablet if I am having trouble sleeping. I don't necessarily feel like something is lost in translation, although I greatly prefer reading PDFs on my tablet to reading them on my laptop.

As for old photos, I really don't have any. I've never been a photo person but now that I am married and have a son it's become a bit of a necessity... with Facebook filling the role that photo albums would have filled in my parents' generation, or my generation if I had been married earlier.

Fetfreak

First Post
Sad gamer is sad...

I understand what you are saying. I have several folders of character sheets and sketches. Every year, I go through them with my girlfriend (another gamer) and we decide what is a keeper and what isn't. Couple of years ago a friend of mine was selling his rpg books, because he went digital. I bought all of it. I couldn't help myself.

I just love books and I could never throw them away. The smell, wrinkles, old stains, yup nostalgia is there, especially since we are gaming less these days.

Jhaelen

First Post
Does looking at them on a computer feel like something is lost in translation?
Not really. I get much the same feeling of nostalgia when reading some of my old texts filed away on my pc. One of the first things I do after getting a new pc is to copy the entire content of the old pc onto the new one. Since hard drive space increases by about 8 times from pc to pc, this is no problem at all. When browsing folders looking for something, I stumble over all kinds of stuff: excel sheets with esoteric calculations, inventory lists, game aids and guides, photo collections, notes, articles and letters. From time to time I get lost in the past and start searching the internet for things that used to mean a lot to me, e.g. not so long ago I installed an emulator to re-play decades-old favorite arcade games of mine. Luckily, pretty much everything is preserved on the internet, even if I haven't been able to hold onto it until today.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I wonder if part of this is generational. I'm 42 now and I'll bet a gamer who is 25 has a lot fewer hangups about storing all of their stuff digitally. They may also be more used to going back through old stuff in a digital format because it is the norm for their generation.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases