• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are we?

Why do you come to ENWorld?

• I come here because I am a gamer

Votes: 171 68.4%
  • I come here because I play 3E D&D

Votes: 79 31.6%

Treebore

First Post
Are we gamers?

Or are we only players of game "X"?

I want to know because it is my opinion that we are on this board, and others, because we are "gamers".

Others seem to believe you should only be on certain boards if you play a specific game. such as 3E only, or 4E only. I have seen several posts blatantly state this as their opinion.

So I want to know, are you here because your a gamer, or are you here only because you play 3E?

So if you think people, especially yourself, come to ENWorld because your a gamer, vote that your a gamer.

If you think people, especially yourself, should only come to ENWorld because they play 3E or 4E, vote that you only play 3E.

Thanks! If you feel the need to comment please keep it civil, no name calling, no "game wars", etc...

Faraer

Explorer
What about people who don't self-identify as 'gamers' (any more than 'film fans' or 'newspaper readers') but enjoy D&D and its settings? Your vote is between two kinds of tribalism.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I think the 'should' part of your second question could be removed. I don't think that ENWorld 'should' be primarily for 3E players, but that 3E players will get the most utility from a good part of the site.

If you primarily play 1E, 2E, GURPS, Champions, etc then the boards in general have less utility to you and there are probably better online places to be that focus on what you want. When 4E hits, then it seems likely that the focus will shift to the most current version of D&D.

C.W.Richeson

Explorer
I like a broad variety of games, but I come to EN World for D&D/d20 chatter. No offense, but most of the regulars here don't post on a variety of other games. Which is cool, you can't beat EN World for d20 goodness.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I come to EN World because it's a great community for the latest version(s) of Dungeons & Dragons.

It's not particularly useful to me as "a gamer" - the only non-D&D games discussed here with any frequently are other d20 or related systems, like Castles & Crusades or d20 Modern.

I go to RPG.Net for my "gamer" community, to be perfectly honest. You get better D&D conversation here, but much better World of Darkness, GURPS, Unknown Armies, et cetera conversation over there.

That's not to say that I believe "gamers" should get the hell off EN World - just that I can't imagine being satisfied with only EN World unless all I ever played were D&D-like fantasy or d20 System games. There's just such a D&D-focused culture here - which isn't a bad thing, considering how much bigger D&D is than any other game! It "needs" that kind of attention, you might say!

But yeah, I agree with C. W. - when you want something other than D&D posts, you have to go elsewhere.

Crothian

First Post
I'm not a number!! I'm a free man!!

I'm not even playing D&D anymore. I like this place and still hope that the non D&D talk improves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads