• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you going to do with all your 3.x stuff?

What are you going to do with your 3E crap?

• Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Yeah, I voted for the keep it and think I'll reference it like 2nd Ed.

…Because I know one day I will finally break open my Complete Gnome Cobbler Handbook again…

Robert Ranting

First Post
I think "crap" is a little strong. Sure, some 3.x stuff was Crap, but some of it was good. I also agree with the guy who stormed off that it isn't fair for you to call 3.x "crap" when the 4E naysayers keep getting told to rein it in. I'm not going to throw up my hands and stop posting/reading here, but I can understand his exhasperation at the double standard.

That said, I'm holding onto my 3.5 stuff and will keep running it until such time as 4E provides me with the options I need to run the games and play the characters I want. Everything we've seen from the previews indicates that some class archetypes that I find vital to running a classic fantasy setting (Druids, Necromancers, Psion/Enchanters, Frost Giants) will be held off until later PHBs and MM's. Unless 4e is clearly superior to 3.5 and easier to homebrew classes for, I see no incentive to switch to a game that doesn't provide those options when the game I do have already does. I might buy the core books next summer and use the bits I like as houserules for 3.5, but until I have a means of playing a wisdom-based caster who turns himself into a bear and entangles people with magic vines, then I'm not ready to switch.

I am by no means anti-4E, I like to think I am taking a "wait and see" approach. In my case however, the things I am waiting and seeing on may not come out until 2009.

Robert "Picky About His Options" Ranting

StarFyre

Explorer
ya

I'm with Kamikaze midget...

if monsters or spells don't exist as I would like them, or at all, I can use the older books to help me convert/rewrite a new version for my 4E game.

PrC's can be created into paragon paths/epic destinies and the epic level handbook can give a guide (but scrap all those moronic feats, etc) onto how to advance beyond level 30 if it ever comes to that but wotc won't allow it.

Sanjay

Shadeydm

First Post
I plan on keeping my 3.5E stuff just like I kept the 3.0, 2.0 and 1.0 stuff. Additionally, my group is still in the early stages of a 3.5 campaign set in my hombrew setting so we will be playing that out under the 3.5 rule set.
After that ends I still plan to run one of the Paizo APs under the 3.5 rule set. Therefore I can easily see myself still playing 3.5 for another 2+ years. I wil certainly be purchasing the 4.0 core rule books but beyond that... Our group does have 3 other DMs so it is quite possible one of them will decide to run 4.0 but so far no one (in our group) has been overly impressed with the snippetts which have been released to date.
It should be noted that in some respects we are playing with some 4E development materials since we are using some of the later releases of 3.5 including the Crusader from Bo9S.

delericho

Legend
Regardless of what happens, I'll be keeping it.

If I convert to 4e, it will stay where it is until next time I move, at which point it will be boxed up, and probably not unpacked. That's what has happened to my 2e and 3.0e stuff.

If I don't convert to 4e (or some other system), I'll keep it where it is, and continue to use it.

shilsen

Adventurer
Emirikol said:
I got caught up in the moment like everyone else..

You clearly haven't been reading this thread, since according to it apparently everyone else was not buying crap.

plus most of the stuff that is crap (most of it) isn't crap until after you've read it...but one man's crap is another man's crapwipe ;) I might just donate it to my FLGS like I did wth 2E. CASES OF CRAP. I'm embarassed at the amount of crap I bought..I must have been one of those people who got off on shopping (for crap obviously).

Had I known there was going to be a 3.5 so quickly, I also probably wouldn't have bought 3.0. (but I also had to purchase a certain amount because I was on the Livign Greyhawk Triad here and had to "review" a lot of "crap" for the campaign.

I certainly will be a hell of a lot pickier with my 4.0 purchases..that is if my group doesnt' rebel and simply refuse to have to purchase all that player crap again...

jh

Maybe I'm misreading, but it sounds like the emergence of 3.5e and now 4e made you re-designate a lot of previous purchases as crap. Clearly WotC is way more powerful than I thought, if they can go back in time and change stuff you bought earlier into crap. As for me, I'm simple. I only buy things I am sure I'll use. If I get some use out of them after having bought them, then I realise they were useful and don't retroactively designate them as crap later. And whether new editions come out or not, I can always find ways to use older material.

YMMV, and apparently does.

bringerofbroom

First Post
Me, I'm going to keep it all, and regularly go through it for useful Fluff ( and occasionally crunch ) to steal and alter to include in my homebrew ( To steal from one source is plagiarism, to steal from many is creativity / research ).

Neil Bishop

First Post
If I continue to play D&D I fully expect to keep playing 3.5E. It's not like 2E which I actively did not like: I do like 3.5E but am tired of the prep time etc....

What is more likely to happen is that our group will start playing Savage Worlds. We'll just use all of the 3.xE stuff for flavour and ideas.

I still don't consider the stuff I bought for 3.5E "crap" in the main (although things like Expedition to Undermountain but, oops, the maps are crap... well, those maps that are there is definitely one recent product that I think meets the definition) largely because I have no interest in converting to 4E but I have a lot of interest in playing through all the stuff I've bought over the last 25+ years!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads