D&D 5E What are you going to keep from previous editions/other d20 games?

Li Shenron

Legend
This is not exactly what you mean with your question but, here's something from previous editions I may use in 5e:

- specifically for playing Rokugan adventures in 5e, I will use a variety of 3e/d20 rules (some adjustments needed) e.g. Iaijutsu, Honor, Taint, Void Use...

- I may re-use some 3e spells, skills, feats and prestige classes, but hardly ever without serious adaptations

3e smaller feats fit quite well in 5e now that we've seen a large trend of 5e feats which are in fact half-feats, granting 1 ability increase alongside the main feat's benefit. Thus it's easy to allow an older 3e feat in place of one of the 2 ability increases. That doesn't mean any specific 3e feat will be appropriate, in fact most of those granting sheer bonuses probably aren't - need to check each feat before allowing it!

Pickles JG

First Post
Nothing at least not until I have tried it. It is too remote from 4e to capture the things I really like htere (detailed tactical combat specifically setting up combos & forced movement).

It gets all of the thing I liked about earlier editions in it & some stuff I did not so I might excise or ignore those (like resurrection magic). I might also want to redo the bard but I have not really been happy with any bard..

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I will be keeping the 'bloodied' designation from 4th Edition.

I write monster damage taken on the battlemat, and when they become bloodied, I use a red pen. That way my players can see at a glance whether or not they're making progress.

As others have said, gotta play it first.

But the only house rule I may implement is one of omission:
auto full healing w rest.

That is just a bit too video-gamely for me.

I'm going to run the Phandelver adventure RAW. After that, if I end up running a 5E game then most likely:

Treasure as XP

Morale scores/checks

Reaction rolls

I won't decide on some things until after seeing the DMG.

the Jester

Legend
I'll run the rules as-is for a while (possibly with heavy DMG-suggested tweaking, possibly not).

I always up-convert anything i feel the urge to use. I've already done a few of my homebrewed spells. I am sure I'll do a 5e version of the Monster Project, too.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I'll be keeping the aesthetics from D&D4, as best I can.

The more time that passes the more the art grows on me, but I still can't help but feel Wizards threw the baby out with the bathwater on this one.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have a good system and bad art than a bad system with good art (not implying that D&D4 was the latter). My complaints are minor.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm debating on keeping the 5' step. It seems odd that characters and monsters are now "locked" into place with no means of changing to nearby melee targets other than disengaging and then moving over to the next opponent.

Also, I am strongly considering using Gestalt rules as I only have three players and they all want to try multiple characters.

Murkmoldiev

First Post
This -

Extravagant Living

Gold may be wasted on senseless activities in exchange for experience points.
100 gp may be wasted for every 50 x.p. gained.

This rule allows encourages players to rid themselves of excess wealth without spending it on character power escalation. Typical activities are,smoking black lotus, gambling, having lavish parties, buying useless trinkets, making bad bargains, destroying magic items instead of selling them If they are evil etc.

The character can in no way benefit from the money spent outside of the XP gain.

But because there are no Magic item Shops as such, in 5e money will be harder to use to escalate PC power.

Remove ads