D&D 5E What are you going to keep from previous editions/other d20 games?

Emerikol

Adventurer
I might drop in a healing system from a past edition. I'm waiting on DMG though so it may not be required.

I like the gold for xp idea.

WitchyD

Explorer
Here's my list:
  • After level 10, players won't gain a full HD, but instead +X based on class, like AD&D. I may also stop spell progression and extra attack gains, to get a sort of E6-style cap.
  • I really like 13th Age's Escalation Die, and will probably bring that over. I may also bring over the setting and/or relationship rules.
  • Also from 13th Age: I plan on using its movement/zone rules. It works very well for TotM and gridless play.
  • I've been using 4e's bloodied rule. I keep HP secret, but I'll narrate something to the effect of "the warhammer crushes in the orc's side, leaving a large, bloody wound." My players have been told this means the orc is at half health.
  • Rather than use the rules for search as described in the Basic Rules, I've been using a more old-school approach -- players tell me how their character is searching, and I tell them how it goes. They can just roll it if they'd like, but I'm more generous otherwise.

Michael Morris

First Post
I'll be keeping my own alignment system in some form, and if I keep the spells in the book I will be assigning a color to each of them. The first layer of new spells will be the ones that interact with other spells based on their color.

But I might just write my own spell chapter this time to be honest. I'll know once I've reviewed what's in the book tonight.

CM

Adventurer
Hmmmmm. At the risk of being on the opposite end of the edition spectrum from Lanefan:

• possibly a Second Wind type mechanic for all, depending on whether the DMG has it as an option or not.
  • "Bloodied"
  • Disease tracks
  • Possibly Charge attacks
  • Additional viable healing classes
  • "Spells" that act like some of 4e's iconic powers. (We already have some of these like hunter's quarry, etc).
  • Maneuver packages available via feats for some of the iconic 4e martial exploits.
  • A little more crunch for monsters.

Tormyr

Hero
As someone who did not really get started with D&D until Murder in Baldur's Gate and the September playtest, I have looked on these threads and comments about how things need to be changed to match some part of a previous edition with bemusement. I do not have the experience of finding those mechanics that I really enjoyed and want to see continue. I imagine that if 6e dropped advantage/disadvantage, I would strongly consider house-ruling it in before giving the new system a try on its own.

That pondering aside, the thing that I am looking forward to bringing from previous editions is the stories. My table is going through a 5e conversion of Age of Worms, and we are having a blast. Between the published adventures, Dungeon, adventure paths and new 5e adventures, I think it is going to be a buyer's market for off the shelf stories. While I think my next campaign might be more of a homebrew (modified Spelljammer), I probably will still be using published adventures and one shots in parts.

Uller

Adventurer
Yes. Disease tracks are good. I like the idea of skill challenges but not the 4e implementation. The other night we had a sort of ad hoc skill challenge where the pcs had to find their horses (scattered by a griffon attack on their camp) before a band of orcs and giants found them or the pcs... it was fun and lead to an interesting battle where two pcs were making hit and run attacks on the monsters until the rest of the party could get there.

From the October playtest we are keeping the crit rule (max damage plus one die) to speed play (some of my players are really slow at adding single digit numbers) and give great axes a reason to exist.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I know that a new edition is not going to be able to cover all the bases. As such, I have a suspicion I am going to be retaining a thing or two...

What for you is a must keep from your favorite previous edition, retro clone or parallel game?
I think I want to give 5e a fair chance to prove itself, /and/ I'm running for Encounters, so there are some additional guidelines to adhere to, as well. So, I'm not planning on anything radical. I think it lends itself to the style of AD&D, though, so I do suspect there'll be a lot of interpretation and rulings based on player descriptions of PC actions and so forth.

Joe Liker

First Post
I often borrow bits from other games on the fly, but not permanently or as a house-ruled variant campaign or anything.

I think there's plenty of game to explore in 5e as it is. By the time my group wants to get fancy, there will probably be a lot more options to adopt.

Remove ads