D&D 5E What are you looking forward to more Vecna: Eve of Ruin or Quests from the Infinite Staircase

What are you looking forward to more Vecna: Eve of Ruin or Quests from the Infinite Staircase

• Quests from the Infinite Staircase

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Vecna: Eve of Ruin

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Tie between both

Votes: 8 15.7%

Vecna, since I'm quite capable of adapting old adventures (which I already own) myself.

Not that I have much faith in Wizards doing a good job... I do have hope.

Cheers,
merric

Same here (although I might be a bit more hopeful)

I'm very intrigued on how WotC will design a high-level adventure such as this, especially as previously, the only high-level official stuff we've seen is from DotMM, which were more modules rather than an ongoing story line.

mamba

Legend
Staircase, I do not care for high level D&D or plane-hopping so about the only thing in Vecna would be (some of) the monsters

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
This doesn't bother me really because there is an entire generation of players for whom Vecna is the creature in Stranger Things and MAYBE the BBEG in Critical Role campaign 1 (which ended 7 years ago). It's not a character the vast majority of today's players have ever encountered in-game.
I don’t think I’ve ever actually played a Vecna adventure. I have more direct experience with Head of Vecna jokes and cartoons. And I’m not yet seeing reasons to want to change that. So at least some fogeys are in solidarity with the restless untamed youth.

When they both were announced, my answer was Staircase, because I've really enjoyed the anthology books for the most part. But after seeing the adventure list (I'm really not into Barrier Peaks's sci-fi and Tsojcanth is just more of the dungeon crawling we got in Yawning Portal) and hearing Eve of Ruin would visit Eberron, my answer is now Eve of Ruin. Not sure if I'll buy either but I'm much more excited for Eve of Ruin at the moment.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Same here (although I might be a bit more hopeful)

I'm very intrigued on how WotC will design a high-level adventure such as this, especially as previously, the only high-level official stuff we've seen is from DotMM, which were more modules rather than an ongoing story line.
This one seems to be fairly modular: each piece of the Rod sounds like it could be broken off and run separately, maybe alter the MacGuffin.

Yeah I'm staircase too.

I mean forcing Vecna into every setting no matter if it makes sense or not is iffy. Plus a lot of things like young Tasha's inclusion feel extremely forced. Also Tomb of Horrors style dungeons do nothing for me. I'm not seeing anything so far that screams, yes this is awsome yet. The closest so far is the Eberron section.

But Quests of the Infinite Staircase just seems to have more wonder in it. Visiting The Feywild, a Sci Fi Space Ship, the Old Empires region of FR with like pyrimids, new mechanics etc..., Zargon, and more.
You do know the original Vecna adventures involved lots of setting crossover.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Eve of Ruin.

Even though I dislike Vecna and will never, ever use him (or any part of the lore surrounding him), the truth is Eve of Ruins will be more useful for my long-term plans as a DM.

I first introduced the idea of there being different worlds in my home game’s multiverse to my players during my last Dark Sun campaign. I just need to run one more single-setting-focused campaign (Crystalpunk), and then I can run a proper DC Comics-inspired Crisis Crossover-event!

Eve of Ruin.

Even though I dislike Vecna and will never, ever use him (or any part of the lore surrounding him), the truth is Eve of Ruins will be more useful for my long-term plans as a DM.

I first introduced the idea of there being different worlds in my home game’s multiverse to my players during my last Dark Sun campaign. I just need to run one more single-setting-focused campaign (Crystalpunk), and then I can run a proper DC Comics-inspired Crisis Crossover-event!
Why do you dislike Vecna out of curiosity?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Why do you dislike Vecna out of curiosity?

Short version? I blame my autism.

Slightly longer version? Because aside from Dark Sun’s dwarven banshee and Mystara’s radiant lich—both of which have unique in-setting lore about them—for some unknown reason, my brain just really dislikes the concept of undead in tabletop games. Whether they be NPCs or simply monsters to fight, it doesn’t matter, I will simply hate the whole experience with a passion.

Now, having said all that, this same distaste does not apply to the PCs, so if a player in my home games wants to be a necromancer-type who commands a horde of undead, more power to them!

Remove ads