What are you reading in 2022?

HawaiiSteveO

Blistering Barnacles!
Aside from DCC rulebook & Lankhmar boxed set, just started Salem’s Lot, never actually read it. Not a big King fan but liked some his earlier works and guess just never got around to it before now.

Richards

Legend
I finished White Shark and it was not a megalodon as I had imagined. But it was very well done, and I enjoyed it much better than I did Jaws (by the same author).

Next up, I started Jumper: Griffin's Story by Steven Gould. This is a weird one, because his first novel was Jumper, about a boy who realized he could teleport at will, and he did a good job figuring out how that would work and what the consequences would be. Years later (after several other novels in between), he returned to the world of Jumper and wrote a sequel called Reflex (which wasn't as good, I thought). And then Hollywood got a hold of his works and fused the two into a movie called Jumper, which apparently took ideas from both books but was was way different. And then Steven Gould decided to write a novel that was based on the movie, so this is kind of a novelization of the movie which was based on his earlier works. I never saw the movie but at only a couple chapters in I can see this is way different than the original novels. I'm not expecting much, because I read Gould's first three novels and experienced diminishing returns with each (I still think his best novel was his first; the next two subsequent ones I enjoyed a little less than the previous ones), but I'm interested in seeing just how different this setup is.

Johnathan

Next up, I started Jumper: Griffin's Story by Steven Gould. This is a weird one, because his first novel was Jumper, about a boy who realized he could teleport at will, and he did a good job figuring out how that would work and what the consequences would be. Years later (after several other novels in between), he returned to the world of Jumper and wrote a sequel called Reflex (which wasn't as good, I thought). And then Hollywood got a hold of his works and fused the two into a movie called Jumper, which apparently took ideas from both books but was was way different. And then Steven Gould decided to write a novel that was based on the movie, so this is kind of a novelization of the movie which was based on his earlier works. I never saw the movie but at only a couple chapters in I can see this is way different than the original novels. I'm not expecting much, because I read Gould's first three novels and experienced diminishing returns with each (I still think his best novel was his first; the next two subsequent ones I enjoyed a little less than the previous ones), but I'm interested in seeing just how different this setup is.

Johnathan
recursive adaptation

Nona the Ninth, next month! I cannot wait. Harrow the Ninth makes some deliberate choices that challenge the reader, but they absolutely pay off by the end.

I just finished Harrow the Ninth. It was absolutely worth it. I'm so excited for the sequels. It being written in second person was jarring, but I got used to it, and the book justified that choice.

DCC Lankhmar is a joy just to read. They do such a great job of distilling Leiber's world into a concrete text.

As for King, I likewise resisted reading his books for decades and am only now giving him a chance.

Aside from DCC rulebook & Lankhmar boxed set, just started Salem’s Lot, never actually read it. Not a big King fan but liked some his earlier works and guess just never got around to it before now.

I finished Weis and Hickman's Dragons of Deceit this morning. I'll leave a detailed discussion for that thread, but on the whole I enjoyed it.

Now I'm reading The Immortal of World's End, by Lin Carter. After Dragonlance, it feels all the more gonzo.

Finished Carter's The Immortal of World's End. It's a gonzo work of mad genius, though there's some stuff that's aged poorly in it. One thing I will say is that I never want to hear anyone say the artificer isn't old school. The Gondwane epic is specifically cited in Appendix N and sure enough, there's a character that clearly would count as an artificer in it. Making gunpowder and everything.

Now I'm reading E.D.E. Bell's Lord's Dome. She was one of the author's alley guests at this year's Origins, and I picked up this book from her there.

Scottius

Adventurer
I have started reading The Complete Compleat Enchanter by L Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt. It's a nice hardcover with slipcover version I picked up on my latest Half Price Books trip.

And for gaming books, I just got my copy of the Lords of Chaos RPG via DriveThruRPG from a Kickstarter. Looking forward to driving into it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Having finished Ben Riggs' Slaying the Dragon, I'm now starting on the one book in its bibliography that I haven't read yet: Flint Dille's The Gamesmaster: Almost Famous in the Geek '80s.

...or at least, I would be, but my local library just got the copy of Weis and Hickman's Dragons of Deceit that I asked them to hold for me. So I suppose I'll need to finish that one first!

That a fun, charming read. Probably the best work by both of them. And perhaps the only fantasy tale with a psychologist for a main character!

I have started reading The Complete Compleat Enchanter by L Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt. It's a nice hardcover with slipcover version I picked up on my latest Half Price Books trip.

I finished Bell's Lord's Dome. Excellent stuff, with some great world building. At only 175 pages or so, it's a quick and streamlined read that makes the details matter.

Now I'm reading Barbara Hambly's The Time of the Dark. With a cover like this, how could I not?

1660759105142.png

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases