What are you reading in 2023?

niklinna

satisfied?
Currently reading El Manual de Tango. It's improving both my Spanish and my tango!

Interested in reading One D**ned Thing After Another and The New Life.

Mallus

Legend
I’m reading Hiron Ennes’s Leech. It’s a… gothic post-apocalyptic medical murder mystery? Kind of. Astonishingly assured for a first novel. First thing I’ve read that compares favorably to VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I’m reading Hiron Ennes’s Leech. It’s a… gothic post-apocalyptic medical murder mystery? Kind of. Astonishingly assured for a first novel. First thing I’ve read that compares favorably to VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy.
I got a book and a half into Southern Reach and ended up walking away. It did a great job on giving me the heebie jeebies, but didnt' give me enough that I cared about so in the end it was just a continuously disturbing read -- just not for me these days. Don't take that as a condemation of the series, just that it's not the right match for me during these times.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Just took a break from the RPG book and the non-fiction book i'm reading to consume a graphic novel. It's called the Ward Welcome to the Madhouse, and it was fun. The art is my style of art - very straightforward, clean line. It's about a hospital that tends to the supernatural. So it's part St. Elsewhere/Grey's Anatomy/House; and part what... I guess sort of True Blood? But it really doesn't focus on the supernatural parts - yes, the giant having a baby is huge; but otherwise it's an emergency C-section - the doctor just has to build a scaffold to get up to the mother's abdomen.
There's a side plot that sort of bursts into the emergency room stuff about a group of "cryptid hunters" who unleash some sort of ritual that impacts non-supernatural people. It sort of felt tacked on or rushed - maybe due to the 22 page limit of the single issues.

I'd say, if you like hospital dramas or supernatural urban fantasy, then this book may tickle your fancy. I like both of those - but I'd like this series to take a bit more time to develop some of these storylines. Hopefully they get it.

gban007

Adventurer
Reading 2 series at the moment - rereading the main series from the Aeon 14 books by M D Cooper, and going back through the Horus Heresy to catch up to where I got to years ago, and then have the fun of reading after Legacies of Betrayal for the first time. Will take a while, only up to Nemesis and started reading them again October.

I would say that not only does Tamsyn Muir not let you get your bearings, but actively disrupts your orientation in each book. I think it's genius, but it doesn't always make for the easiest of reads.

But with the Locked Tomb, Tamsyn Muir doesn't let you get your bearings. You're thrown in the deep end with every book. It's like if every book in the Stormlight Archive was as hard to understand as The Way of Kings. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's not really a decision I'm fond of at the moment. It certainly doesn't make her series easy to read or understand.

I'll see how it goes. My opinion of Harrow changed about 2/3rds of the way through it, so hopefully that will happen with Nona, too.

I finished reading Aldiss' Non-Stop. Really influential, that book. I'd also say that when it starts out, it feels a whole lot like an adventuring party venturing into an early dungeon crawl.

Now I'm reading Poul Anderson's Operation Chaos.

Galaxias by Stephen Baxter
By the middle of the 21st century, humanity has managed to overcome a series of catastrophic events and maintain some sense of stability. Space exploration has begun again. Science has led the way.

But then one day, the sun goes out. Solar panels are useless, and the world begins to freeze.

Earth begins to fall out of its orbit.

The end is nigh.

Someone has sent us a sign.
Like other books by Baxter, very hard on the science, or at least as hard as possible, but still enjoyable.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I would say that not only does Tamsyn Muir not let you get your bearings, but actively disrupts your orientation in each book. I think it's genius, but it doesn't always make for the easiest of reads.
I agree. I think it's genius. The way that every book is practically a different genre is great, too. It makes the setting feel diverse, and she's clearly a very talented and versatile author. But as someone with ADHD, it's really difficult to read and enjoy.

Remove ads