What are you Reading? Ocher October 2019 edition

It's the Halloween season! Even if the temperatures here are in the upper 80s here...

Just finished up Kothar and the Demon Queen. Like the rest, it wasn't great, but it was a heck of a lot of fun. Next up is a re-read of Lord Dunsany's Queen of Elfland's Daughter. I haven't read that in ages, and after playing DCC RPG's Queen of Elfland's Son, I felt it was due for a re-read.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
About 70 pages into Fallen by Benedict Jacka, 10th book in the Alex Verus urban fantasy series. So far it's felt a bit tame. Action scene presented as an informational flashback robbed of any immediacy sort of thing.

I'm on book 10, so that says something. The first books were a bit derivitive, the later ones got much better. They're shortish, and I actually debated rereading the series since I read the last right when it came out and was a bit fuzzy on details, but I ended up not. Since much of the book so far seems to be dealing with details from earlier books that may have been the wrong choice.

EDIT: It just hit me - this book doesn't feel like it has it's own plot.

Last edited:

Blue

About 70 pages into Fallen by Benedict Jacka, 10th book in the Alex Verus urban fantasy series. So far it's felt a bit tame. Action scene presented as an informational flashback robbed of any immediacy sort of thing.

I'm on book 10, so that says something. The first books were a bit derivitive, the later ones got much better. They're shortish, and I actually debated rereading the series since I read the last right when it came out and was a bit fuzzy on details, but I ended up not. Since much of the book so far seems to be dealing with details from earlier books that may have been the wrong choice.

EDIT: It just hit me - this book doesn't feel like it has it's own plot.
So I just finished Fallen by Benedict Jacka. It didn't have it's own plot for about 1/4 of the book. Then oh boy did it take off.

Including one of the densest action scenes I've read this year.

Oh, things have ratcheted up. After the slow start, very enjoyable. Mostly because of the "OH NO HE DIDN'T" scenes where I kept yelling out loud at the book. In a good way.

Plot achieved, things are happening. In some of the earlier books in the series, Alex Verus took a level of Badass. In this one, her took a level of Protagonist and is really making things happen.

Ryujin

Legend
Sitting in a hotel room in Seattle, rereading PWNED by Matt Vancil, to see if there are any details about Point Defiance Park in it that I missed before visiting it.

NP.jpg

Richards

Legend
I'm now on book nine of the Lincoln Rhyme series, "The Burned Wire," by Jeffery Deaver. Sadly, it's the last book in the series I'll be able to read until December, since I promised my son I'd leave books 10-14 for him to get me as Christmas presents. So once I finish this one - about the hunt for a killer in NYC who uses the electrical power grid to kill his victims - I'll have to find something different to read for a bit.

Incidentally, my son just finished book three of the Locke Lamora series ("The Republic of Thieves," by Scott Lynch) and is just as bummed as I was that book four doesn't come out until fall of next year.

Johnathan

Blue

Incidentally, my son just finished book three of the Locke Lamora series ("The Republic of Thieves," by Scott Lynch) and is just as bummed as I was that book four doesn't come out until fall of next year.

There's a date for book 4? Like, it's at the publisher date? Because that's been teased to us forever. I'd be very happy to hear there was a date.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Finally started The Dying Earth by Jack Vance. Enjoying it so far. Also been reading A New World Begins: The History of the French Revolution by Jeremy Popkin. Love history books lol.

Remove ads