What are you Reading? Ocher October 2019 edition

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This weekend, a friend handed me a hardcover copy of Fall; or, Dodge in Hell, by Neal Stephenson.

Classic Stephenson - 880 pages, weighs in at like 2.5 pounds. This thing would break your foot* if you dropped it from countertop-height. It'll take me a while to get through, but... it is Stephenson, so it is apt to be good.

*The original phrase I know is, "would kill a small animal," but that seems unnecessarily brutal imagery.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just started The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke based on a recommendation earlier this year from there "What are you reading?" threads. Who do I have to thank?

Finished reading The King of Elfland's Daughter. Such a gorgeous, lyrical read! Of the Appendix N tales, it's definitely up in the top tier.

Also finished reading Algernon Blackwood's The Wendigo. I've got really mixed feelings on this one. It's got a plethora of casual racism against any number of ethnicities (including French-Canadians?!). But the story itself is really horrifying and eerie.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Merciful gods, I have finished Dracula.

Returned to reading the last book of the Custard Protocol, which I paused so I could read a ton of horror books for a discussion panel.

Richards

Legend
I started up Andy McDermott's The Valhalla Prophecy. I've read several others in this series; each is pretty much standalone but features the same museum archaeologist team, Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase (they're kind of like Indiana Jones set in modern times). The others I've read were enjoyable - once the action starts up they're pretty fast-paced adventures.

Johnathan

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases