What are you reading this year 2020?

I just finished David Gemmell's Echoes of the Great Song. As with most Gemmell books, it is a brisk read. Lots of great characters and ideas.

I just started Steven Erikson's Rejoice, A Knife in the Heart and love it so far. I really like First Contact stories and this takes a fresh-ish twist.

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Still reading Julia Baird's Victoria: The Queen.

Still reading Terry Pratchett's Making Money.

Finished Matt Walsh's Cowardly Christians.

Started rereading Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings.

Zardnaar

Legend
I just finished David Gemmell's Echoes of the Great Song. As with most Gemmell books, it is a brisk read. Lots of great characters and ideas.

I just started Steven Erikson's Rejoice, A Knife in the Heart and love it so far. I really like First Contact stories and this takes a fresh-ish twist.
Echoes has been a massive influence on my D&D games for over 20 years.

Zaukrie

Adventurer
Just re-read Dune. So good. Onto The Lair of Bones, book four in the Runelords. I really like his magic system.....Oh, and Arcana of the Ancients, which is a great RPG book so far.

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Still reading Julia Baird's Victoria: The Queen.

Still reading Terry Pratchett's Making Money.

Rereading Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings.

Started reading Pathfinder 2E Lost Omen's World Guide.

Richards

Adventurer
I'm now on Roadside Crosses, the second book in Jeffery Deaver's Kathryn Dance series. This one deals with what looks to be a serial killer who kills people along the highway - but, for whatever reason, places a roadside cross advertising the "automobile accident" ahead of time. It picks up almost immediately after the first book in the series, The Sleeping Doll, left off, so I'm kind of glad I'm reading them back to back, even though each is a standalone story.

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just finished another Expanse book. You know, the more of them I read, the more I feel like they are a D&D party.

Like my headcanon is that they are played by a D&D group trying a SF game. No idea if these hold up for those watching the series, I haven't done that.
  • Holden's player normally likes playing paladins when they are doing D&D. He plays it straight, but doesn't always see when the curves are coming. Drinks Mountain Dew.
  • Amos' player is the murderhobo of the group. He's also got decent system mastery and and is good at subbing in intimidation for any other social skills.
  • Naomi's player likes utility wizards, and played a decker when they tried Shadowrun. She's not as into the battlemat part of the game, but loves puzzles. The backstories she writes are never less than five pages.
  • Alex's player is the quietest of them, though that doesn't mean he's quiet - just most likely to let the others step up and talk. He does voices for his characters. He likes making a character that's piles on the bonuses to be really good at something.

GreyLord

Adventurer
I am having a really tough time getting through the Wheel of Time at this point. On Book 10. For some reason which I can't figure, it's just gotten really long and boring to me. It is a SLOG getting through it. I'm pushing onwards to try to get through it though.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Just finished another Expanse book. You know, the more of them I read, the more I feel like they are a D&D party.

Like my headcanon is that they are played by a D&D group trying a SF game. No idea if these hold up for those watching the series, I haven't done that.
  • Holden's player normally likes playing paladins when they are doing D&D. He plays it straight, but doesn't always see when the curves are coming. Drinks Mountain Dew.
  • Amos' player is the murderhobo of the group. He's also got decent system mastery and and is good at subbing in intimidation for any other social skills.
  • Naomi's player likes utility wizards, and played a decker when they tried Shadowrun. She's not as into the battlemat part of the game, but loves puzzles. The backstories she writes are never less than five pages.
  • Alex's player is the quietest of them, though that doesn't mean he's quiet - just most likely to let the others step up and talk. He does voices for his characters. He likes making a character that's piles on the bonuses to be really good at something.
No surprise there, this random page on the internet says Ty Franck created the world for an RPG.

carrot

Explorer
I am having a really tough time getting through the Wheel of Time at this point. On Book 10. For some reason which I can't figure, it's just gotten really long and boring to me. It is a SLOG getting through it. I'm pushing onwards to try to get through it though.
Yeah... That one is the worst in the series... You could almost skip it entirely because it felt like nothing of consequence happens until the last chapter. It does at least get a lot better with the next book.

carrot

Explorer
I'm in the middle of A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings). It's book 2 in the series and its not really holding my interest at the moment. (I suspect I might have to re-read book 1 because its been a while). As I recall the first book took a while to get going as well, so will stick at it.

Finished The Fellowship of The Ring's re-read. I find myself growing more and more enamored of the sections not adapted in the movies, like Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights.

Now it's Conan the Freebooter, by R.E. Howard with L. Sprague DeCamp. I figure being stuck at home is a good time to read it, as the cover would be something I'm not sure I'd be comfortable seen reading on the bus.

Zaukrie

Adventurer
Just finished book 4 of the Runelords series. Like I said, big fan of the rune magic system.....I also really appreciated how book 4 ended. Not everyone will....

I think I'm going to re-read the Black Company next. Or maybe Elric.....I'm pretty mentally involved in trying to start a YouTube series and figuring out how to edit video, so I think a re-read is probably better for me right now than a new book. Plus, Elric is just easy to read.....

carrot

Explorer
Just finished book 4 of the Runelords series. Like I said, big fan of the rune magic system.....I also really appreciated how book 4 ended. Not everyone will....
I really enjoyed that series. The magic system is definitely quite nifty. Its a shame book 9 (the conclusion) has been so delayed. David Farland is apparently still working on it, but his first draft has been sat at 50% for a long time.

Still reading A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings) - its picking up, but it swaps between so many (first-person) view points that I'm kinda struggling to keep them all straight in my head. I <will> finish...!

Richards

Adventurer
I'm now 100 pages into the latest Kathryn Dance novel, Solitude Creek by Jeffery Deaver. After this one, I'll have to take a break from Deaver for awhile as it's the last unread book of his I own. But this one has the lead character investigating a psycho who uses artificially-induced crowd panic to kill. I'm not sure of his motives yet but it's been typically a good read.

Johnathan

Tough call. They're both good, but Elric probably would get my vote, depending on which it's been longer since you've last read.

I think I'm going to re-read the Black Company next. Or maybe Elric.....I'm pretty mentally involved in trying to start a YouTube series and figuring out how to edit video, so I think a re-read is probably better for me right now than a new book. Plus, Elric is just easy to read.....

Zaukrie

Adventurer
I really enjoyed that series. The magic system is definitely quite nifty. Its a shame book 9 (the conclusion) has been so delayed. David Farland is apparently still working on it, but his first draft has been sat at 50% for a long time.

Still reading A Blight of Blackwings (Seven Kennings) - its picking up, but it swaps between so many (first-person) view points that I'm kinda struggling to keep them all straight in my head. I <will> finish...!
nine? ugh. I'm really liking physical copies so much more than ebooks right now.....and I can't go buy more...so that will have to wait. Books 5-8 pretty much the same quality? Tell me the story is different.....at least enough I will care to read it.

the Jester

Legend
I started the Name of the Wind a couple of weeks ago, left it somewhere, and just retrieved it. So that's what I am on now.

Advertisement