What are you reading this year 2020?

Saberhagen's The Broken Lands is finished - a fun post-apocalyptic fantasy read. Having read the First Book of Swords a while ago and not been that impressed, I wasn't sure if I would like this. But I did, and now I'm thinking about re-reading the Swords series again.

Now it's Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
I think I don't like reading ebooks as much as paper books.

Absolutely. Except for work reference manuals and game rules/adventures, I don't do ebooks (and gimme PDF, none of this Kindle stuff!). Gotta have my dead tree.

That said, I hardly finished any books last year; probably my worst reading dry spell ever. All I can remember actually completing from start to finish was Neal Stephenson's "Fall: Or, Dodge in Hell", and Colin Wilson's classic study of existentialism, "The Outsider". (And I highly recommend both!)

This year? Still plowing through and trying to process lots of game rulebooks, and I've probably got more financial planning books to read, as well as needing a crash course in blockchain, so probably not much time for fiction. But I think my next fiction will be tackling the annotated volumes of H.P. Lovecraft; those look fascinating...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
About half way through Leviathan Awakes, the first book of The Expanse. I have not watched the show, so this all coming at me fresh. So far I'm quite enjoying it.

(Oh, and @Nellisir, kindly watch putting spoilers? I was lucky I had gotten past the introduction of what you are talking about, but that was a twist not given until a third or the way more through the book.)

Of other books-made-shows interest, here's a recent interview from the author of the Witcher books about his take on the series (and the games). It's a refreshingly direct interview:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/i-do-not-like-working-too-hard-or-too-long-a-refreshin-1841209529

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
On vacation I got through Simon Green's Hex and the City, John Scalzi's Consuming Fire, and P. Djèlí Clark's The Haunting of Tram Car 015.

Nellisir

Hero
(Oh, and @Nellisir, kindly watch putting spoilers? I was lucky I had gotten past the introduction of what you are talking about, but that was a twist not given until a third or the way more through the book.)
:unsure:
Um. I'm sorry, I guess? The book has been out for 9 years. There are seven sequels. There's a tv show on its fourth season. And...you think THAT'S a spoiler?

Oh boy. Buckle up. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Edit: I edited my post above so no one accidentally finds out about the hyborean space goblins.

Edit-Edit: I'm still restless reading, so went back and read Book 5 of the Expanse and am halfway through Book 6. I'll read Book 7 next so I doodle doodle catch up to the doodle doodle beginning of doodle doodle just having fun here Book 8.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Finished A Plague of Giants by Kevin Hearne

The first 8 pages were weak, but then it picked up and got good.

Started Sisters of the Wild Sage by Nicole Givens Kurtz
It's a a weird west short story collection, just started the first one. I like it.

carrot

Explorer
Currently in the middle of Cast in Wisdom The latest in the Chronicles of Elantra series by Michelle Sagara. This used to be an interesting collection of books. (Its been steadily going downhill for a while though). I'm still hopeful it will pick up, but so far it feels like pages and pages of waffle between vague plot points.

Remove ads