What are you reading this year 2020?

Lately while doing other things I've been listening to audio books, World War Z, The Harry Potter series,percy jackson and the lightning thief and I've realized that I like either different VA for the characters (World War Z) or the reader to do different voices (Harry Potter).

Just finished Jemisin's The Obelisk Gate. What a great, gripping read! The complexity of the previous book is used to weave this story in a simpler, but no less powerful way.

Now I'm reading Gardner Fox's Kothar and the Wizard Slayer.

jasper

Rotten DM
I just finish two. Breaking Silence by Mercedes Lackey & Cody Martin. Great YA novel and I think book 10 of Serrated Edge series. Elfs and magic are alive in modern times. The gang is training and cleaning up parts of forest after in the last book taking down some dark elves.
Marque & Reprisal #2 of the Vatta's war series by Elizabeth Moon. Another Great YA space opera novel. Our hero is still picking up strays while villains have killed off most of her family.

Richards

Legend
I'm now halfway through "The Burial Hour," the next-to-last book (so far) of Jefferey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series. This time they're tracking a killer who starts out in New York City but ends up in Italy. It's been interesting.

Johnathan

Nellisir

Hero
Finished up Book 8 of the Expanse; it was very worthwhile rereading them all at once. Blue, I'm dying of envy.

Read The Killing Moon, by NK Jemisen; reading its sequel, The Shadowed Sun right now. Not sure what's after that. Might stop pulling from the archives and go for something new and different. Or maybe not.

Has anyone read the Rivers of London series? Opinions? I flagged it as potentially interesting and the boxed set is sitting on my Amazon list. Wondering if it's actually worth buying sometime.

GreyLord

Legend
Just finished Book 6 of the Wheel of Time and it's dragging. It was a slog. I'm having a tough time remaining motivated.

I hear it gets harder to get through the next few books...but I am determined. Book 6 was LONG.

I hope book 7 (Crown of Swords) speeds up somewhat in it's narrative.

I'm still reading the Tales of 1001 Nights. I'm one-thirds of the way into the first volume, because I occasionally read one of the tales, rather than reading all of it in one go. And as you can tell by the pictures, these books are MASSIVE. The language can occasionally be a bit demanding to read, because it is pretty old and the phrasing is very elaborate. Like an over-enthusiastic dungeon master, there's a tendency in these tales for a lot of repetition and to go into a lot of unnecessary detail. If for example a character encounters a door, we are also told what kind of wood it is made of.

For example, I just read The Porter and the Three Ladies, where the tale goes into excessive detail regarding all the things one of the ladies buys at the market and has the Porter carry. There's also a ton of poetry in it, which can be a bit of a slog. Also, lots of stories within stories, which was once again the case with The Porter and the Three Ladies. On the other hand, also orgies and gruesome beheadings. This last tale even featured the fabled giant bird known as Rokh, which apparently is all white, as thick as 10 elephants, and as large as 20 camels. Who knew? We also learn what name each of the three ladies has given to their privates. Yes, you read that correctly.

According to wikipedia, the Porter and the Three Ladies is one of the few stories that is included in every known version of the Tales of 1001 Nights.

Attachments

• 1001nights_1.JPG
    1001nights_1.JPG
    633.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 1001nights_2.JPG
    1001nights_2.JPG
    638.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Finished Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear, and started Outies by Pournelle's daughter Jennifer, a continuation of the Motie series.

I quite enjoyed The Killing Moon (even if it immediately puts the Echo and the Bunnymen song into my head) and need to get to the sequel sometime soon.

Haven't read anything in the Rivers of London, but I am curious about it as well. Supposedly they've optioned it for a TV series, too.

Read The Killing Moon, by NK Jemisen; reading its sequel, The Shadowed Sun right now. Not sure what's after that. Might stop pulling from the archives and go for something new and different. Or maybe not.

Has anyone read the Rivers of London series? Opinions? I flagged it as potentially interesting and the boxed set is sitting on my Amazon list. Wondering if it's actually worth buying sometime.

I feel like Crown of Swords is faster, but the middle of the series is a pretty deep slog. It really picks up with Knife of Dreams, when you can feel Robert Jordan trying to make up for lost time in the face of his impending death.

Just finished Book 6 of the Wheel of Time and it's dragging. It was a slog. I'm having a tough time remaining motivated.

I hear it gets harder to get through the next few books...but I am determined. Book 6 was LONG.

I hope book 7 (Crown of Swords) speeds up somewhat in it's narrative.

Remove ads