Well, that was fun
Choose from the poll!
This describes my buying habits as well.I voted for most but not all books, but I was a little torn between that and the next one down. I buy all the books primarily focused on rules and monsters. The settings and adventures are where I only buy the ones that I have direct interest in.
I feel like I currently own enough material than I could use for the foreseeable future (with some third party adventures in there as well) but I don't think my buying habits will change anytime soon. Even if I won't use something in a game for a long time after I buy it just reading through the material is enjoyable for me.
Similar pattern here. Nice to be pleasantly surprisedmy buying habit? I usually goes like this:
1) get excited about the initial announcements
2) raise my expectations too high after the first previews
3) get disappointed by the second release of previews
4) wait until a few reviews are out before buying it
5) get more disappointed and disillusioned about first chatters i see on internet
7) buy the book anyway
8) read the said book and actually like it
I have typically focused on only buying the supplemental rulebooks but... as of late have been intrigued enough to pick up a few setting/adventure books, too -- like Ghosts of Saltmarsh, not only for an excellent series of adventures but also for the nautical mechanics and monsters; ERftLW for the various shiny new player options and expanded bestiary; and Wildemount, well, because my son thought it was cool and he invoked Parks and Rec "Treat Yo' Self" when we were in a bookstore on vacation.