• Core rulebooks only

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I don’t even have the core rules

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I used to buy every book but not any more

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.3%

I have typically focused on only buying the supplemental rulebooks but... as of late have been intrigued enough to pick up a few setting/adventure books, too -- like Ghosts of Saltmarsh, not only for an excellent series of adventures but also for the nautical mechanics and monsters; ERftLW for the various shiny new player options and expanded bestiary; and Wildemount, well, because my son thought it was cool and he invoked Parks and Rec "Treat Yo' Self" when we were in a bookstore on vacation.

jasper

Rotten DM
Other. I buy every official main campaign Adventure League book. But I have all on D&D Beyond due it was a great deal.

Oofta

Legend
I probably buy bits and pieces on DndBeyond now more than entire books. For example I bought monsters from Into the Abyss, but not the mod.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't buy adventures unless I plan to use them.

I tend to buy rulebooks, but not so much setting books - I'll tend to get Xanatar's and Tasha's type books, but not Theros, for example.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I voted for most but not all books, but I was a little torn between that and the next one down. I buy all the books primarily focused on rules and monsters. The settings and adventures are where I only buy the ones that I have direct interest in.

I feel like I currently own enough material than I could use for the foreseeable future (with some third party adventures in there as well) but I don't think my buying habits will change anytime soon. Even if I won't use something in a game for a long time after I buy it just reading through the material is enjoyable for me.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I bought a good chunk of the adventures till a couple years ago till I decided using the adventures was more work than building an adventure to use the maps was easier & that there are tons of good free maps on the internet & the magic items were usually filling the same overly filled niche rather than new or lacking ones.

I used to do the same with rulebooks too but after tasha's feel like I'm going to take a more wait & see approach because the small steps wotc takes in them feel too small too hesitant & in some cases cases deliberately missing the problem.

BigZebra

Adventurer
So far bought all of the 5e books. Don't think I'm ever gonna run all those adventures. But it brings me a lot of joy just sitting in the couch and leafing through them. Some of my favorite books I have because they have so much reuse value - just as inspiration alone. So yeah it's a bit of a luxury, but for me I get a lot of value out of it.

I voted for most but not all books, but I was a little torn between that and the next one down. I buy all the books primarily focused on rules and monsters. The settings and adventures are where I only buy the ones that I have direct interest in.

I feel like I currently own enough material than I could use for the foreseeable future (with some third party adventures in there as well) but I don't think my buying habits will change anytime soon. Even if I won't use something in a game for a long time after I buy it just reading through the material is enjoyable for me.
This describes my buying habits as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases