• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your top 5 fantasy movies?

Templetroll

Explorer
Also, a not quite fantasy movie worth watching for adventure fun is "The Long Ships" with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. Great movie, see a barbarian bard in action!

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

2. Conan the Barbarian

3. Chronicles of Narnia

4. D&D: The Movie *

5. Ladyhawke

Honorable mentions go to Star Wars, which I consider science fantasy, not true fantasy, as well as Conan the Destroyer, which is just funny. (Also because Olivia d'Abo is hawt. And she still is, IMO.) Highlander also counts as science fantasy, IMO, and is an honorable mention.

* Yes, I know people hate it for its cheese factor (amongst other things), but that's why I love it. (I still haven't seen Wrath of the Dragon God, but I'm assuming it will trump the first D&D movie, after I do see it.)

Darrell

First Post
My Choices:

Lord of the Rings (Extended Trilogy) --- I consider it to be one film, too.

The 13th Warrior

King Arthur

Dragonslayer

Willow

13th Warrior and King Arthur are high on my list because I've always been a fan of the "Well, I know what the legend says, but it can't be that way because [such-and-such a thing, be it magic, dragons, watery tarts passing out swords, or whatever] aren't real...so here's what really happened" school of thinking.

(I kinda look at The DaVinci Code in the same way, but in reverse. I don't believe the book/movie's premise myself, but taken as a film about a conspiracy theory in a world where such a premise were true, it's a pretty good handling...and one of the few cases where I've actually liked the movie more than the book.)

Regards,
Darrell King

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Knightfall1972 said:
Honorable mentions go to Star Wars, which I consider science fantasy, not true fantasy

Just out of interest where would you put Masters of the Universe on the 'Fantasy - Sci- Fi spectrum'

Personally I class Star Wars and MotU as being the same 'Genre' - they have high tech paraphelia but are at heart a magic using fantasia
(albeit that MotU is also cheesy Saturday morning cartoon derived and the original Star Wars (I don't rank the new ones) is Action Movie derived)

Klaus

First Post
Depends on which incarnation of MotU you're talking about. The movie had more sci-fi than fantasy. The cartoons had about equal ammounts. But the original mini-comics were full-on fantasy with "artifacts of a bygone age"-style technology.

Darthjaye

First Post
1. Hawk the Slayer-for all it's cheese it's the first one I was privy to seeing and it hooked me into D&D.

2. Willow-completely entertaining and kept my faith going in fantasy movies being accepted as mainstream hits which led to......

3. LOTR trilogy-they are essentially one movie and one long story so I count them as such. Even better than I had hoped and vindicated all of us D&D "geeks" out there.

4. Excalibur-I watched this movie over and over when I was a kid (I had to sneak into the living room late at night sometimes to watch it on one of the two big cable channels that existed back then). It's still a movie I can go back to even today (and own on DVD of course)

5. Ladyhawke-was a great movie. Had a really hot Michelle Pfiefer and was well told story.

Notable entries are of course:

Conan-it was hard not to put this classic in the top 5 and it was barely edged out.
13 Warrior-awesome movie and yes, equally as difficult not to put it in the top 5
Dark Crystal-someone else mentioned it and I agree, it's well worth a mention. I grabbed this when the last limited release version came out and still enjoy it even today.
Any Ray Harryhausen movie-honestly, can anyone who is old enough not remember watching these and liking them back in the day? With only a couple of channels available in my youth (our tv got channel 35 KICU out here in the central coast) this was one of the types of movies they would show all the time. Classic and fun to watch. When I had an asthma attack as a kid and was put in a oxygen tent at the hospital, they ran a marathon of these on tv. Best and only serious attack I ever had :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads