D&D 5E What big thing is supposed to be next week?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Whatever it is they are announcing it seems to be newsworthy enough that the New York Times is going to be printing an article on it.

Though, honestly, it doesn't have to be very big news for the NYT to have a little puff piece on it in a relevant sub-section of the paper. It could be 5e. It could be an MMO. It could possibly be re-releasing old product (on the outside). Some significant "brand" activity is also possible (saturday morning cartoon! TV show! videogame! movie! new novel line! whatever!).

It could also be huge, but I don't imagine even the hugest thing for D&D (like being sold, or even 5e) would register as a more than a blip to most of the world at large. So I'm betting on an NYT piece that's in some media/movies/tv/books/whatever sub-section of the paper, something interesting to the world at large, but only maybe a 50/50 chance of it being something interesting for those who are playing the PnP game.

But, hell, I was wrong about Dark Sun. :)

kitsune9

Adventurer
If the NYT is doing the story, the only thing I can think is the sale of the brand or the divestment of WotC into its own company again (minus Magic). I can't imagine a movie or VTT or 5e being newsworthy though all three of those things would definitely have enough geekcred to get on the sites that cover all things related to geeky.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Probably the Vile Darkness movie.

I thought that had been cancelled?

I saw this post over on BoardGameGeek.

Major announcement coming from WotC on Tuesday | RPG | BoardGameGeek

Whatever it is they are announcing it seems to be newsworthy enough that the New York Times is going to be printing an article on it.

To me that leaves out 5th edition. My guess is either a MMO or perhaps they are being purchased by someone else?

Edit: Heh, just noticed my Join Date of Sept 2004 and I have all of two posts, that must make me one H*77 of a lurker.

I was going to post that same link! To me the NYT article pretty much means it can't just be 5E. It looks more likely to be an MMO announcement to me too.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
On the MMO subject, I'm guessing that if they're making a new D&D MMO Hasbro/WotC has reached a major deal with another bigwig video/computer game company to license out (rather than out and out sell) the rights to make D&D video games.

Remove ads