D&D 5E What bonus spells should Divine Soul, Shadow, Storm, Draconic, and Wild Magic Sorcerers get?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Here's what I use for my campaigns. (Which were developed with the help of @RoughCoronet0.)

Divine Soul Sorcerer: No added list, instead you automatically get two extra always-known spells of your choice from the Cleric spell list at the following levels; 1st (including your Divine Magic feature), 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th. You can replace one of these spells with another Cleric or Sorcerer spell when you gain a level in the Sorcerer class, so long as both spells are of the same level.

Shadow Sorcerer
1st level - Hex, Inflict Wounds
3rd level - Darkness, Shadow Blade
5th level - Fear, Summon Shadowspawn
7th level - Greater Invisibility, Shadow of Moil
9th level - Mislead, Negative Energy Flood

When you gain a level in this class, you may replace any spell that is granted by this feature with any Illusion or Necromancy spell from the Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard spell lists of the same level.

Storm Sorcerer
1st level - Fog Cloud, Thunderwave
3rd level - Shatter, Warding Wind
5th level - Call Lightning, Thunder Step
7th level - Storm Sphere, Summon Elemental Spirit (Air only)
9th level - Control Winds, Destructive Wave

When you gain a level in this class, you may replace any spell that is granted by this feature with any Evocation or Conjuration spell from the Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard spell lists of the same level.

Wild Magic Sorcerer
1st level - Arms of Hadar, Chaos Bolt
3rd level - Cloud of Daggers, Crown of Madness
5th level - Bestow Curse, Blink
7th level - Confusion, Polymorph
9th level - Control Winds, Reincarnate

When you gain a level in this class, you may replace any spell that is granted by this feature with any Evocation or Transmutation spell from the Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard spell lists of the same level.

Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer
1st level - Absorb Elements, Chromatic Orb
3rd level - Dragon's Breath, Enthrall
5th level - Fear, Protection from Energy
7th level - Elemental Bane, Leomund's Secret Chest
9th level - Geas, Legend Lore

When you gain a level in this class, you may replace any spell that is granted by this feature with any Enchantment or Evocation spell from the Sorcerer, Warlock, or Wizard spell lists of the same level.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Personally I feel that 2 spells a level is a bit ... much... Sorcerers having less spell is part of the balance of the class.

However, 1 spell a level? I would be 100% for that, and in fact I think I would homebrew that for all the sorcerer subclasses

niklinna

satisfied?
Personally I feel that 2 spells a level is a bit ... much... Sorcerers having less spell is part of the balance of the class.

However, 1 spell a level? I would be 100% for that, and in fact I think I would homebrew that for all the sorcerer subclasses
So, they would get two additional spell choices each level, to pick one from?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Any reason you didn't attach them to a Domain?
Because I just wanted to give the characters a bit more freedom, and I don't see "Divine Soul Sorcerers" as being incarnations of different cleric/deity domains/portfolios, and more as them being embodiments of divinity in general. Like, if someone wants to say that they're descended from a God of Storms, say Zeus or Talos, they wouldn't be a Divine Soul Sorcerer with the Tempest Cleric's Domain Spells, they'd be a Storm Magic Sorcerer.

tl;dr - It's to avoid things like thematic overlap with other subclasses, keeping things fairly simplistic, and to keep the subclass "Embodiment of Gods/Divinity in General" instead of "Embodiment of a Domain".

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

Do you own Tasha's? Because the subclasses in Tasha's get at least two extra spells at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9.

I'm not inclined to make the PHB and XGtE Sorcerer Subclasses have a different amount of Subclass Spells than the ones from TCoE.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
While I’d like each sorcerer origin to have unique spells that no one else gets, I’ll settle for a bonus spell list.

The other change is make to sorcerers is in the base class, where I would add a Signature Meta-Magic feature, that allows them to use a certain meta magic without spending points 1/short rest or something, it no longer counts toward thier metamagics known, and either they can do soemthing fancy with action economy, or combine it with other metas even if normally ya couldn’t, or something like that.

Remove ads